Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668164 times)

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1975 on: October 20, 2020, 10:16:59 AM »
Reasonable game? I’m not so sure. There were occasional bits of taking the initiative and no doubt Ivanovic helped, but there were still some worries for me:

I thought he was extremely fortunate not to have been at fault for two goals.

1) He dropped a simple high ball and the referee saved his blushes with the softest of ‘fouls’

2) Yet again he parried a shot stop straight back into the 6 yard area where thankfully JRod (or Wood) headed  it back over? This is a constant failing of his- palm the ball away for goodness sake.

The fact we consider last night a solid night tells us how below par the standard has been.

It’s harsh criticism yes but this is the Premier League.

Thought the Burnley keeper looked very good.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1976 on: October 20, 2020, 10:50:14 AM »
Shows how low the bar has got with this lad.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1977 on: October 20, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
Standard game really. Can make a good reflex save from close range but any cross or anything giving SJ time to think is a disaster waiting to happen.

As above, we know this and have to try and prevent crosses and corners as best we can... albeit can be difficult.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1978 on: October 20, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
SJ was ok last night but despite 2 decent saves was still nowhere near good enough. Pope on the other hand was excellent. made a reaction save in a crowded area, but so dominated his area generally that we rarely got close enough the threaten. SJ has never been able to do this. Not his fault, he has worked hard and tried to improve his positioning and catching, but without much success. Time now for a change.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1979 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »
Yeah, just because he makes a good save doesn't make him a good keeper, unfortunately. The rest of his game was as poor as ever, dropping, flapping at crosses and glued to his line.

At the other end Pope made great saves but also did the other things well. He looked about 9 feet tall when he came for crosses, so, so confident. Johnstone should watch this match back a few times.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1980 on: October 20, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »
I'm his biggest critic but I thought he was much better yesterday. He actually came of his line and claimed a few crosses and was more proactive.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1981 on: October 20, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
SJ was ok last night but despite 2 decent saves was still nowhere near good enough. Pope on the other hand was excellent. made a reaction save in a crowded area, but so dominated his area generally that we rarely got close enough the threaten. SJ has never been able to do this. Not his fault, he has worked hard and tried to improve his positioning and catching, but without much success. Time now for a change.

I’m not a massive fan of Johnstone but he kept a clean sheet and made some good save yet you say he was nowhere near good enough.What else can he do other then keep a clean sheet ?

I honestly don’t think he has been that bad this season. Can’t think of any of the goals we’ve conceded were it was his fault or his error. The shambles of a defence infront of him doesn’t help for starters

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1982 on: October 20, 2020, 01:31:14 PM »
Okay these 2 saves.

1. Blasted straight at him. To everyone's surprise he managed to parry it away out of danger. A decent save but hardly a worldie.

2. Header from a relatively long way out parried back into the middle of the goal. Rebound open goal hits bar. If that goes in he's cost us the game.

The rest of his game left a LOT to be desired, particularly in the backdrop of the young lad at the other end.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1983 on: October 20, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »
2. Header from a relatively long way out parried back into the middle of the goal. Rebound open goal hits bar. If that goes in he's cost us the game.

Wood was well offside by the way for that rebound ;)
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1984 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
The rest of his game left a LOT to be desired, particularly in the backdrop of the young lad at the other end.
The 'young lad' is older than the guy that you continually berate.
Dyche doesn't share your opinion.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1985 on: October 20, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
The 'young lad' is older than the guy that you continually berate.
Dyche doesn't share your opinion.

He's not older than me hence young lad, wasn't suggesting he was the younger keeper.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1986 on: October 20, 2020, 02:33:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with his performance last night. Since Chelsea he's much improved.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1987 on: October 20, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »
Nothing wrong with his performance last night. Since Chelsea he's much improved.

I wasn't happy with the first goal he let in at Southampton, the shot wasn't close to the corner of the goal and went past him, poor keeping. Last night was the first game I've seen him actually coming off his line to claim the ball and cut out crosses. It's an improvement in the right direction, albeit from a very low base.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1988 on: October 20, 2020, 03:51:38 PM »

Might have been half decent last night but trouble with Johnstone is that he’s so inconsistent.  Next game or two it’s odds on he’ll drop an almighty clanger.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1989 on: October 20, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »
Alright last night but still needs to command his box like his opposite number last night pope.

Still hope with the right coaching he can improve.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1990 on: October 20, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
He's not older than me hence young lad, wasn't suggesting he was the younger keeper.
You need to drastically revise your player terminology, as using this weak criteria, G Barry and B Ivanovic are young lads too. ;D

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1991 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »
Alright last night but still needs to command his box like his opposite number last night pope.

Still hope with the right coaching he can improve.
You are comparing SJ against the best keeper in the league.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1992 on: October 20, 2020, 10:41:42 PM »
This is really boring now.  Had a good game and made 1 great reflex save.  We need to focus how poor we are when either Livermore or Sawyers are both deployed and both full back positions are weak.  These.are more pressing concerns than the goalkeeper.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1993 on: October 20, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »
We really needed the clean sheet, he made some save and that was obviously a contributing factor.
But,for two whole seasons the amount of times this thread has had “he played well” has been minimal....says it all really.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1994 on: October 21, 2020, 12:04:56 AM »
He made some errors fortunately they didnt cost us but against better sides it will.

Pretty standard game sam made some point blank reaction saves and made a hash of some other stuff.

He did come for more crosses than usual but his bar is incredibly low people expecting him to foul up. Clean sheet welcome though
O Albion we love you

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1995 on: October 24, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1996 on: October 24, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
Couple of decent games recently, so well done SJ.

Keep making the good and great saves, be commanding, listen to the old guy at centre half, try to anticipate and read the game, come for and collect crosses into the box both high and low,The my son you will be a very good keeper.

Add to this catching and holding the ball from shots from all distances, and setingt up attacks by well placed swift distribution, and you will be a great keeper.

No reason you you cannot add some not all of this to your game.
Give it a go and good luck Sam.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1997 on: October 24, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Sorry 46 but the post for a new goalkeeping coach was filled by yours truly some time ago, you can be my deputy if you like though  ;D ............

Couple of decent games recently, so well done SJ.

Keep making the good and great saves, be commanding, listen to the old guy at centre half, try to anticipate and read the game, come for and collect crosses into the box both high and low,The my son you will be a very good keeper.

Add to this catching and holding the ball from shots from all distances, and setingt up attacks by well placed swift distribution, and you will be a great keeper.

No reason you you cannot add some not all of this to your game.
Give it a go and good luck Sam.

If you're reading this Sam then all of the very best for the weekend and the remainder of your time as a goalkeeper for West Bromwich Albion. Communicate with your defence, claim crosses, catch when you can, punch when you can't and most importantly of all....... don't drop anything.

Close angles, follow the flight of the ball at all times and stay sharp so you can get down nice and quick. Keep your body behind the ball where possible, gather it when you can and find your team mates when you kick or throw the ball clear (a general strength of yours in my opinion) and you should be fine.

The basics really, reading this forum would make for a much more enjoyable experience for all of us and yourself in particular. Cheers lad and all of the Baggies best once again. Onwards and COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1998 on: October 24, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
Sam Johnstone

If we're stuck with him than maybe it's pointless to keep banging on about how awful he is and just be supportive - you know, what supporters are meant to do.

Yes I know people are entitled to express their opinion but not the same one over and over and over again.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1999 on: October 24, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »
Sam Johnstone

If we're stuck with him than maybe it's pointless to keep banging on about how awful he is and just be supportive - you know, what supporters are meant to do.

Yes I know people are entitled to express their opinion but not the same one over and over and over again.

Well said, I have made the same point several times
Baggie in Southampton