Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556786 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #7850 on: July 08, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »
Well this a bit of a turn up for the books. I truly have no idea what to make of this.

Possibilities

1. Total ploy by the club to extract maximum from a tribunal next year therefore strengthening our current negotiating position it also forces the other clubs to offer a similar amount in wages which makes him more expensive. 
2. The penny has dropped with Saido and he realises that Stoke Watford or Southampton aren't much better options than us

There are all sorts of possibilities concerning release clauses takeovers etc... but basically it all boils down to a variation on one of the above.

How I feel about it rather depends on what I'm getting. A fit focussed scoring Saido is better than anything we are likely to buy with the sort of fee that is currently being discussed. If played in a sympathetic tactical environment I would be delighted. However last year's model playing behind the striker wouldn't be worth his own body weight in tap washers.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7851 on: July 08, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »
It does make good sense to Berahino in the medium to long term, he stays, plays well he then comes back on the radar of the top teams in the UK rather than Watford, Stoke etc.
    Also earns an extra 50 Grand a week,bit of a no brainer if he's got any sense

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7852 on: July 08, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
If he signs a 4 year contract, Peace will be asking for over 30 mil. Unless a takeover is imminent...

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7853 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:01 PM »
would prefer him to be sold, he will never change and will throw a strop at anytime so where does that leave us.

Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7854 on: July 09, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
Must keep him, give him 70k and get him scoring

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7855 on: July 09, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
I think he needs to move for the sake of both parties. He won't flourish under TP as he will be played out of position. If he does go I have no faith in the club whatsoever in signing a quality replacement.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7856 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
I have said before that he was being paid peanuts for a premier league striker. I can see his point for wanting to go when he see's what the likes of Harry Kane are on, but that is no excuse for his attitude and conduct.
A professional  player should get his head down and leave his agent to do the contract side of business.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7857 on: July 09, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »
would prefer him to be sold, he will never change and will throw a strop at anytime so where does that leave us.

same here, he will always be disruptive
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7858 on: July 09, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
Indeed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if giving him a huge pay rise would make him even more of a prima donna, as it's likely to inflate his already outsized ego still further.

I really can't see that paying him more will improve his attitude or his performances. Getting his head down just doesn't seem to be in his personaility, unfortunately. Sticking him out on the wing, as Pulis often does, won't help either.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7859 on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Indeed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if giving him a huge pay rise would make him even more of a prima donna, as it's likely to inflate his already outsized ego still further.

I really can't see that paying him more will improve his attitude or his performances. Getting his head down just doesn't seem to be in his personaility, unfortunately. Sticking him out on the wing, as Pulis often does, won't help either.
I'd argue both playing him wide and more likely behind Rondon will make Saido a better overall player , if he wants to go to the very top his passing  , awareness and vision must improve.....and like his career for me those things have stalled the last 12 months.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7860 on: July 09, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »
This is an easy one for everyone involved. We want £20m and he wants to go, as the months go by his price lowers but we are less likely to sell. He signs a new deal with a bigger salary and a £20m buy out clause. Someone pays that and us and Saido both get what they want.
Gera, Gera, Gera

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7861 on: July 09, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »
I'd argue both playing him wide and more likely behind Rondon will make Saido a better overall player , if he wants to go to the very top his passing  , awareness and vision must improve.....and like his career for me those things have stalled the last 12 months.
That can only happen if he's minded to improve, rather than sulking because he's not playing as a striker. Every time he's been played out wide previously, the latter has happened IMO so far, so it's hard to see it being any different in the future if he stays with us. It might be a different story if he goes to a club that he deems to be worthy of having his services, but not with us I wouldn't have thought.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:40:37 PM by WorcsWBA »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7862 on: July 09, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
 Reportedly being offered 65k pw. Can't help thinking if he had been on only half of that we wouldn't have seen the tantrums.
Only on 15k pw because Jeremy didn't think him mature enough to have anymore.  :)

What is he, his dad?

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7863 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:23 PM »
Reportedly being offered 65k pw. Can't help thinking if he had been on only half of that we wouldn't have seen the tantrums.
Only on 15k pw because Jeremy didn't think him mature enough to have anymore.  :)

What is he, his dad?
only on 15k a week ONLY you taking the mick? I wouldn't have paid him at all after what he as been up to. I still can't wait till the day he is gone.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7864 on: July 09, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »

What is he, his dad?

Don't know why, but I had a feeling JP was planning to put some in trust until Saido kicked off,perhaps that's why Saido's relented a bit
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7865 on: July 09, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
The Telegraph is reporting that Berahino will reject all overtures to sign a new contract and is determined to move on.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7866 on: July 09, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/09/west-broms-unsettled-saido-berahino-to-reject-new-contract-as-st/?

Saido Berahino will reject a new contract offer at West Bromwich Albion and is determined to leave the club this month.

Berahino has been offered a four-year deal, worth a potential £55,000 a week, which will make him Albion's best paid player, but it is understood he has no intention of signing.

Stoke and Watford are keen to sign the England under-21 international but are growing frustrated in their attempts to hold negotiations with Albion chairman Jeremy Peace.

West Brom want around £20million for the 22-year-old, who has one year remaining on his current contract.

Crystal Palace are also monitoring developments and Berahino is prepared to force his exit by turning down the offer of a new deal at the Hawthorns.

Tottenham Hotspur failed with four bids for the striker last summer, including two on deadline day, but their interest has waned as they pursue other targets.

However, Stoke have identified Berahino as their No 1 summer target and are hoping to strike a deal, while Watford are also set to make a substantial bid.

West Brom fear that selling Berahino could leave them desperately short of attacking options, with Salomon Rondon and Rickie Lambert the only senior forwards on the books.

Well it looks like the offer was to test Saido's resolve to leave even if Stoke and Watford appear to be his only options. Guess the answer is fairly straight forward I expect us to sell within the month we might extract a few extra quid but I expect it to be less than £20m.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7867 on: July 09, 2016, 11:31:52 PM »
Hasn't it weakened our position if Saido turns down any new contract offer. any interested parties now know we have a player who wants out even with a great contract offer on the table.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7868 on: July 09, 2016, 11:43:17 PM »
I have said before that he was being paid peanuts for a premier league striker. I can see his point for wanting to go when he see's what the likes of Harry Kane are on, but that is no excuse for his attitude and conduct.
A professional  player should get his head down and leave his agent to do the contract side of business.

Well it may be peanuts, but if he wouldn't sign a new contract so that it could be increased then that's down to him

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7869 on: July 09, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »
It's mad isn't it, 15,000 a week, near enough what some of us make annually and for the greedy buggers it isn't enough.

Salopbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #7870 on: July 10, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »
The Telegraph is reporting that Berahino will reject all overtures to sign a new contract and is determined to move on.

But is it reporting or is it speculating?

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7871 on: July 10, 2016, 12:15:02 AM »
But is it reporting or is it speculating?
Exactly my thought to... just speculation as I am pretty sure they would rather be talking about a London club buying a player than us resigning one.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7872 on: July 10, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »
In a way this plays into the clubs hands. So he has rejected a contract offer which the public and we as fans know was on the table for him but now Saido is publicly outed to be the bad guy. The club now have a reason to sell him and won't look bad for doing so. I can see him going this month.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:36:02 AM by baggie38 »

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7873 on: July 10, 2016, 01:05:51 AM »

Well it looks like the offer was to test Saido's resolve to leave even if Stoke and Watford appear to be his only options. Guess the answer is fairly straight forward I expect us to sell within the month we might extract a few extra quid but I expect it to be less than £20m.

As mad as it sounds, £20m in this market isn't a big amount. Selling Saido will leave us with two strikers (btw, Lambert seems to have lost serious weight and may actually be useful this season?!) So i'd expect 1 more stiker minimum and thats if TP is soild on playing on 1 up front all season.

We're in need of 3 starting 11 purchases i think (LB, LW and CM), so all sales, (Chester, Saido etc) will need to be replaced like for like.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7874 on: July 10, 2016, 02:42:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure he'll leave this month but I'm afraid it will be the long game being played again and it will be left too late for us to do anything with the money. I think Saido has the slight edge over the club, the contract offer would have been made mainly for the purpose of a potential tribunal but if it gets that far we are the main losers as we get less money and have him in the squad not putting the effort in.

In hindsight it should have been sorted out last summer.