Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556935 times)

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #7125 on: February 03, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »
i would have started Saido last night hes here till end of the season so use him .

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7126 on: February 03, 2016, 07:08:27 AM »
Ive got a funny feeling the lad will sign a new contract in the next couple of weeks.

More than likely have a buy out clause included in it, something along the lines of 30million, 20million if one of the 'big boys' come calling.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7127 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:55 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/10153945/saido-berahino-has-long-term-future-at-west-brom-says-tony-pulis?

a quote from TP

"They can do nothing about it. He has got 18 months to two years left on his contract, we've got an option on that as well."

that is the first I have heard of an option on extending past the 18 months left....  may explain a couple of things

Same here - I wasn't aware of an extension option in the club's favour.  That's really important. Can anyone confirm that it's definitely correct?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7128 on: February 03, 2016, 07:49:47 AM »
Ive got a funny feeling the lad will sign a new contract in the next couple of weeks.

More than likely have a buy out clause included in it, something along the lines of 30million, 20million if one of the 'big boys' come calling.

I hope he does TBH.... when he plays he is in a different class to the rest of the team. He had a couple of touches last night that were excellent...... despite all of the antics and pantomime, if he is paid the going rate and his contract reflects that then I am quite sure we will see how good he really is.

I have said less than favourable things about him in the past, but its time to move on and if he makes the commitment then we should get behind him.
MAGA!

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7129 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »
Berahino will be nowhere near the England squad. Rooney, Vardy and Kane are already cemented in. The other striker will be whoever is the fittest out of Walcott, Sturridge and Welbeck.

For all of Peace's bravado about Berahino being the only player good enough to keep West Brom up it was fitting for somebody else to get the equaliser!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7130 on: February 03, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »
Same here - I wasn't aware of an extension option in the club's favour.  That's really important. Can anyone confirm that it's definitely correct?

If true, it shows why JP has played hardball, it also shows how little the Nationals know.
Baggie in Southampton

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7131 on: February 03, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »
If true, it shows why JP has played hardball, it also shows how little the Nationals know.
in all fairness how many albion fans knew, if its true that is.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7132 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
in all fairness how many albion fans knew, if its true that is.

Yes, but lots have opinions on it, like a lot of things they don't know much about, but heh, they are entitled.....
Baggie in Southampton

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7133 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »
no mention of any extra year in club or players favour in this report from the time he signed his new contract.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/saido-signs-new-contract-1204017.aspx

Pat Murphy was asked about this on deadline day and said there was no extra year in either club or players favour, but then he wouldn't necessarily know either!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7134 on: February 03, 2016, 11:09:22 PM »
Ben Foster has advised Berahino to close his Twitter account. That would be an excellent start if Berahino wants to build bridges with the club and the fans.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7135 on: February 03, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »
Just read on Facebook, the he has two and a half years left with all the add on bits.

Edit....Perhaps some one else can find out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:35:30 PM by Droitwich Baggie »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7136 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:20 AM »
Will be interesting to confirm his contract status. I can't help but think Pulis may have been mixed up with someone else though as I see no reason for the club not to have made a further years option public when he signed the contract.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7137 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »
Ben Foster has advised Berahino to close his Twitter account. That would be an excellent start if Berahino wants to build bridges with the club and the fans.

Strange that to build bridges with the fans the best approach is to drop off twitter which is a platform that gives direct access to the fans, but Foster is right. Players should just leave social media alone it seldom ends well.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7138 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:47 AM »
Strange that to build bridges with the fans the best approach is to drop off twitter which is a platform that gives direct access to the fans, but Foster is right. Players should just leave social media alone it seldom ends well.   
Yeah, it's lose-lose for them really.  It's either really bland "Well done lads for a hard fought win", or if it's anything else they'll no doubt end up annoying someone.

Twitter is for people who can't shut up even when they're alone.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7139 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
Yeah, it's lose-lose for them really.  It's either really bland "Well done lads for a hard fought win", or if it's anything else they'll no doubt end up annoying someone.

Twitter is for people who can't shut up even when they're alone.

Brilliant.Sums it up in a nutshell for me.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7140 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:43 AM »
Is that the same Ben Foster, who shows his collection of trainers & other expensive items on Twitter, that most of us couldn't dream of affording?

Bit of teapot calling kettle black here methinks.

I follow most of the players on twitter, & Ben is far more prolific than Saido, in fact the tweet he sent out on Monday night is the first one for months.

I understand that Saido received a lot of abuse on Monday, & for that reason, he would be well advised to close his account.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7141 on: February 04, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »

i suspect its "so you don't have to see all the rubbish" rather than "so you don't tweet rubbish" or maybe both i suppose.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7142 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
Is that the same Ben Foster, who shows his collection of trainers & other expensive items on Twitter, that most of us couldn't dream of affording?

Bit of teapot calling kettle black here methinks.

I follow most of the players on twitter, & Ben is far more prolific than Saido, in fact the tweet he sent out on Monday night is the first one for months.

I understand that Saido received a lot of abuse on Monday, & for that reason, he would be well advised to close his account.
I may be speaking out of turn but to suggest most people can't afford trainers is a bit wide of the mark. From what I can see If Saido reserved his use of Twitter or Instagram for equally inane stuff as Foster there wouldn't be an issue. Outside the two posts on deadline days beras use is no different.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7143 on: February 04, 2016, 10:28:06 AM »
I may be speaking out of turn but to suggest most people can't afford trainers is a bit wide of the mark. From what I can see If Saido reserved his use of Twitter or Instagram for equally inane stuff as Foster there wouldn't be an issue. Outside the two posts on deadline days beras use is no different.

I don't think he does it deliberately, but some of Ben's tweets can be a bit insensitive (his trainer collection is huge & would probably be outside the spending capacity of most of us).

Having read the sky report, I think Ben was suggesting that Saido closes his account to prevent the abuse he was getting, others have jumped on the bandwagon to spin it against Saido.

No wonder the players are tired, I'm not sure I would want to live in the limelight like these guys do.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7144 on: February 04, 2016, 10:31:20 AM »
I never really thought about this but what if,

JP has thought
new TV deal coming in = more cash sloshing about
= players values inflate
= saido could go from value of £20-25M today to £30-35M in summer.

I still want to sell the club, this puts another £10m on the clubs value, so I'm more likely to get my £150M, You know what Tone, tell the world Saido is stopping.
Albion Family !!!

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7145 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »
I never really thought about this but what if,

JP has thought
new TV deal coming in = more cash sloshing about
= players values inflate
= saido could go from value of £20-25M today to £30-35M in summer.

I still want to sell the club, this puts another £10m on the clubs value, so I'm more likely to get my £150M, You know what Tone, tell the world Saido is stopping.

I suspect that this is exactly what is happening. Player values are likely to be generally higher this summer and Saido's value is to a substantial effect underwritten by the Tribunal (although I still chat to people who say he can walk to another PL club in 2017 for nothing...)  I really do believe that JP sees this as a "heads I win, tails I don't lose" sort of deal.  With Saido only earning £15k per week, it isn't even a problem if he doesn't play. Very different from a £150k per week player who you put on the bench and who will cost you £7m p.a. before you sell him.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7146 on: February 05, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
I suspect that this is exactly what is happening. Player values are likely to be generally higher this summer and Saido's value is to a substantial effect underwritten by the Tribunal (although I still chat to people who say he can walk to another PL club in 2017 for nothing...)  I really do believe that JP sees this as a "heads I win, tails I don't lose" sort of deal.  With Saido only earning £15k per week, it isn't even a problem if he doesn't play. Very different from a £150k per week player who you put on the bench and who will cost you £7m p.a. before you sell him.

I wouldn't discount the theory, but I would suggest it's a more fundamental reasoning, that if Saido's still here, he could score goals for us, & wouldn't score goals for a competitor. Sliding into the Championship would devalue the club far more than the value of a player. enhanced or not.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7147 on: February 05, 2016, 02:15:59 PM »

I wouldn't discount the theory, but I would suggest it's a more fundamental reasoning, that if Saido's still here, he could score goals for us, & wouldn't score goals for a competitor. Sliding into the Championship would devalue the club far more than the value of a player. enhanced or not.

I would agree that there is probably a large element of that too. I never really saw us selling to Newcastle; it would have been bonkers to take £20m, have them overtake us and us get relegated. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7148 on: February 05, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »
Yes, likely both factors apply as JP is both a number cruncher and a Baggies fan.

Albion Family !!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7149 on: February 07, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
Folks, PLEASE try and keep this topic speculation related only otherwise it will be loakced again, we already have a topic to discuss the rest of the stuff around Saido

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-give-tottenham-first-7324141

Tottenham will have first refusal on signing West Brom’s Saido Berahino this summer, writes Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

The North London club have jumped to the front of the queue following discussions between White Hart Lane bigwig Daniel Levy and Baggies’ owner Jeremy Peace.

The pair are understood to have thrashed out a gentlemen’s agreement over Berahino after Peace put the block on any move for the 22-year-old during last month’s transfer window.

Peace made his position clear four weeks ago – maintaining that Berahino, who has six goals to his credit following a disruptive season, would not be sold.

And he was as good as his word, rejecting a £24m offer in cash from Newcastle.