Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363542 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5975 on: May 28, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
No he said they offered £700 million but Lai wants £1.3 billion  :o

Aztech, I’ve read the twitter feed and I can’t find Steven or anybody else putting an actual figure on what Lai wants or the buyer was offering. Where has this £700m figure come from?

Here is the link: https://twitter.com/baggiesteve26/status/1131874350586585090?s=21

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5976 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
Aztech, I’ve read the twitter feed and I can’t find Steven or anybody else putting an actual figure on what Lai wants or the buyer was offering. Where has this £700m figure come from?

Here is the link: https://twitter.com/baggiesteve26/status/1131874350586585090?s=21

https://twitter.com/BaggieSteve26/status/1132298157998657536

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5977 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34:59 PM »
wasn’t the highest paid director/executive listed in the accounts as earning about £200k ?

Yes

2018 Accounts

All Directors = £1.124 million

Highest paid director = £219.000

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03295063/filing-history
Page 22
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5978 on: May 28, 2019, 08:35:27 PM »
As the chap underneath says he thinks he means 700m in their currency which works out to 80m approx.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5979 on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
Yes

2018 Accounts

Page 22
thought so, amazing what some people actually believe about the club.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5980 on: May 28, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »
Genuine info that Jeremy has offered Lai a way out by buying the club back circa £75m- £100m but it means loss of face in China so it wont happen same source also told me our Chief Executive is on £1m per year!!!!

I never I thought I would say this but I would take him back over this idiot.

At least he knew what an actual football looked like.

If true, I have said for a while that this was his plan, after recommending the unemployed and inept Williams to run the club.

You'll have to excuse the next bit as have been sniffing a very large bag of glue, but imagine if it was his masterplan all along to fleece lai and then coming back with the extra money and actually giving something back to club he apparently supported and its fans and build a new Halford lane stand.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5981 on: May 28, 2019, 09:18:59 PM »
Genuine info that Jeremy has offered Lai a way out by buying the club back circa £75m- £100m but it means loss of face in China so it wont happen same source also told me our Chief Executive is on £1m per year!!!!

Another none starter in my opinion. Peace will never be seen again unless he secures the club well below market value.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5982 on: May 28, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I wish this was the case. I will hold my hands up and say I was one who was so excited on the 5th August 2016 thinking we had made it, a billionaire owner, I thought things were on the up. However it has been a total disaster from the start, although in his only interview he has ever done, Lai said he would not bankroll us and he’s certainly been true to his word.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5983 on: May 28, 2019, 09:32:13 PM »

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I wish this was the case. I will hold my hands up and say I was one who was so excited on the 5th August 2016 thinking we had made it, a billionaire owner, I thought things were on the up. However it has been a total disaster from the start, although in his only interview he has ever done, Lai said he would not bankroll us and he’s certainly been true to his word.

Could you find this quote? Got to admit, I can't find anywhere Lai has said this.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5984 on: May 28, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
Could you find this quote? Got to admit, I can't find anywhere Lai has said this.

I have to admit, I have just watched his only interview on YouTube, or most of it. It may have been in the first programme of the season after he bought us. I’m sure he said he was going to be a good owner who would not embark on a unsustainable spending spree.

I also recall central news being outside the gates that day with some bloke saying we could be as big as man city with this bloke at the helm!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5985 on: May 28, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
Part of me has always wondered if part of Peaces plan was to sell it for as much as possible, buy it back for as little as possible after it all went to pot, and then sell it for as much as possible again. But after the length of time he spent trying to sell it the first time, I don't think he'd do it again.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5986 on: May 28, 2019, 09:46:53 PM »

I have to admit, I have just watched his only interview on YouTube, or most of it. It may have been in the first programme of the season after he bought us. I’m sure he said he was going to be a good owner who would not embark on a unsustainable spending spree.

I also recall central news being outside the gates that day with some bloke saying we could be as big as man city with this bloke at the helm!!

Yes, He said he would not change the club's structure or it's ethos. (Just found the statement on the OS).
I cannot find anywhere a statement saying he would not put any further funding into the club.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5987 on: May 28, 2019, 10:20:14 PM »
At 62 I doubt Peace would want to get into running a football club again.

In his final years here, he basically sounded quite cynical and tired about how the state of football was going - in particular saying how we weren't really wealthy enough to be a Premier League team and that we would eventually drop. I think he was well aware that he found his niche in getting the best out of a certain budget/formula during a period where scouting etc seemed less competitive.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5988 on: May 28, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
Would it be too far fetched to think lai went to jp again after relegation and this time he recommended Jenkins who is doing jp's bidding by hampering our prospects at every turn like giving DM the boot without a replacement lined up still and basically telling lai we are screwed making him panic and sell to peace for pennies in the pound.

You can just imagine the negotiations, "well what you paid £200m was for a Premier league club, but as you can see from what your countrymen paid for wolves a championship club is only worth between £30-40m."

I don't believe for a second that jp would buy us back for as much as £75-100m, way too much.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5989 on: May 29, 2019, 01:20:48 AM »
There is no way on this Earth that JP would buy us back not even at a rock bottom price. He got out with a profit he can't hope to turn that trick again.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5990 on: May 29, 2019, 06:42:15 AM »
Yes

2018 Accounts

Page 22

That doesn’t really tell us very much.  Jenkins wasn’t appointed until mid-February 2018, so only 3 1/2 months worth of his salary will have been paid in the accounts for the year ended 30th June 2018.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5991 on: May 29, 2019, 06:43:59 AM »
There is no way on this Earth that JP would buy us back not even at a rock bottom price. He got out with a profit he can't hope to turn that trick again.

Agreed in respect of putting in his own money, but he could front a consortium using other investors’ money.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5992 on: May 29, 2019, 06:51:30 AM »
Agreed in respect of putting in his own money, but he could front a consortium using other investors’ money.

Would you seriously want him back in any format? Whilst he runs a tight ship you will know he has no real aspirations to spend any money and at the end of it he will once again ride of into the sunset at our expense......

I am afraid that we are stuck with our Chinese owner for the forseeable future. Whilst I am tending to agree with all of the negative thoughts in the direction our club is going, what doesn't make sense is the logic of buying us for circa £200m and watching your investment dwindle and not take action. I just don't get that. 
MAGA!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5993 on: May 29, 2019, 07:01:51 AM »
Would you seriously want him back in any format? Whilst he runs a tight ship you will know he has no real aspirations to spend any money and at the end of it he will once again ride of into the sunset at our expense......

I am afraid that we are stuck with our Chinese owner for the forseeable future. Whilst I am tending to agree with all of the negative thoughts in the direction our club is going, what doesn't make sense is the logic of buying us for circa £200m and watching your investment dwindle and not take action. I just don't get that.

Yes I would, but only as part of a consortium with deep pockets. I don’t believe that Peace himself would put in more than a small percentage of his own wealth and he knows that he doesn’t have enough wealth to be able to take us forward if we were to go back up. I could easily see him fronting and advising a consortium, enabling him to stay offshore for the 5 years that he needs to in order to avoid CGT on his original sale.

He knows the club inside out.  His tenure coincided with a long stay in the PL.  He just didn’t have the wealth to take us forward on his own (and still doesn’t - in terms of what is needed).  He certainly wasn’t perfect but made more good decisions than bad ones.  We’ve got massively backwards since the day he left, in terms of being a well-run club.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5994 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:24 AM »
Yes I would, but only as part of a consortium with deep pockets. I don’t believe that Peace himself would put in more than a small percentage of his own wealth and he knows that he doesn’t have enough wealth to be able to take us forward if we were to go back up. I could easily see him fronting and advising a consortium, enabling him to stay offshore for the 5 years that he needs to in order to avoid CGT on his original sale.

He knows the club inside out.  His tenure coincided with a long stay in the PL.  He just didn’t have the wealth to take us forward on his own (and still doesn’t - in terms of what is needed).  He certainly wasn’t perfect but made more good decisions than bad ones.  We’ve got massively backwards since the day he left, in terms of being a well-run club.

Peace said he would only sell to someone who could take the club forward, Peace was instrumental in the appointment of Williams, and as it turned out Williams spent money like a lottery winner, and Lai has absolutely no intention of taking us forward as a club. So you could say that Mr Peace is responsible for our demise since he left. Lets face it, he sold to the first person who had the 'reddies'.....

I don't want him anywhere near our club again.
MAGA!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5995 on: May 29, 2019, 07:54:15 AM »
The original owners of Autonomy - an AI company  - are being sued for misrepresenting / exaggerating the value of the company when selling it to Hewlett \Packard in the states.   Â£200M for a medium size club in an unfashionable part (ie. not London or North West) of the country seems like exaggerating value to me.  Will Guochan Lai sue?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5996 on: May 29, 2019, 08:05:24 AM »
No he said they offered £700 million but Lai wants £1.3 billion  :o

Both figures are clearly RMB not Sterling.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5997 on: May 29, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »
The original owners of Autonomy - an AI company  - are being sued for misrepresenting / exaggerating the value of the company when selling it to Hewlett \Packard in the states.   Â£200M for a medium size club in an unfashionable part (ie. not London or North West) of the country seems like exaggerating value to me.  Will Guochan Lai sue?

I don't know about that, but what I do know is that if I were Chairman Lai I'd be playing reruns of HRK's goal at the Euros to Chinese football club owners on repeat  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5998 on: May 29, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »
Peace said he would only sell to someone who could take the club forward, Peace was instrumental in the appointment of Williams, and as it turned out Williams spent money like a lottery winner, and Lai has absolutely no intention of taking us forward as a club. So you could say that Mr Peace is responsible for our demise since he left. Lets face it, he sold to the first person who had the 'reddies'.....

I don't want him anywhere near our club again.

I’m happy to agree to disagree.   I don’t agree with Lai’s lack of interest in the club, but I accept that it was said at the time that the club would continue to be run on a self-financing basis, and I am well aware of Chinese currency restrictions which has since prevented him from investing funds even if he chose to. I don’t think Peace anticipated this scenario at all.

Peace is a businessman. He took a deal which was a very good deal for him, but I also believe that he thought at the time that it was also a good deal for the club.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5999 on: May 29, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »

Willing buyer, willing seller.  More fool Lai if he overpaid.  Nobody held a gun to his head.