Author Topic: Just how close we were to being under a different reign  (Read 4234 times)

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

Just how close we were to being under a different reign
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
We had spoken contract terms with Chris Hughton and everything just not signed anything, near enough had given him the job and before Roy Hodgson even said he was interested in the job at the last minute, and with Hodgson being first choice we dropped all that and did everything to do to get Wroy in which we did

Makes you wonder what we would of got out of first 2 games fi Wroy hadnt have come in. 
Would we have looked so good at defending the throw ins etc
Would we have had the spirit to get to late goals
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Just how close we were to being under a different reign
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
All ifs and buts mate,nobody really knows for sure.We were supposed to have offered everything to Alan Irvine after TM departed yet the Chairman stated RDM blew them away in a interview and was the first to be offered the job.With the Albion these days everything seems cloak and dagger and i prefer it that way to be honest.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
Ifs and buts like already been said but its the same situation with Carew that was all but signed and after seeing him the other night and snipets of him on MOTD that was a lucky escape there too!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

SamWBA

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »
JP knows exactly what he is doing, do you knoww inside stuff at the club, as I think that although he'd not announced his interest when Hughton was about to get it, the club knew of some interest not to appoint Hughton immdeiately, there's probably a lot we don't knnow.

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
i know its all if`s and buts about what would of happened just thought i would bring a new topic to the board for us to discuss

As for  what you said Lee, On this case i do know this went on and not from inside the club from a complete different source, they were getting to the contract stage then there number 1 choice made it clear he then wanted the job
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

astle68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
I wouldn't have been as confident of survival with if we'd hired Hughton as I am with Sly Ol' Roy in charge.

What a coup for the club and, I know this may offend some, but well done JP!

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »
I thoroughly believe we have the right man and that it was a blessing in disguise that we didnt get Hughton. I feel that roy just has that extra edge and he seems to be able to motivate where i feel Hughton would have been very similar to RDM.

All in all, well done albion
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »
I think we started discussions with Hughton, because we were far from sure that we could land a manager of Roy's quality and no matter what we had to make an appointment sooner rather than latter. All that said I glad we got our man.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:49 AM »
From what I was told Hughton was discounted due to the bonus payment he wanted if he kept us up
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »
The other good thing about appointing Roy was that Appleton can take a role alongside him and develop his skills, that would not have been the case with Hughton. Peace has probably reduced his wage bill, long term, once RDM's team are off the books.
Baggie in Southampton

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »
If we hadn't have sacked RDM would we have beaten West Ham and Wolves even? Who knows. Roy is a great appointment but I just wished it had been done sooner or not at all. I think we may have left it a little bit too late.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
To be honest I wonder where we'd be know if Mowbray had stayed on, he's done a thoroughly terrible job everywhere he's been since, and his Middlesbrough side aren't exactly free flowing. Or good defensively.