Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 605901 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #1150 on: January 03, 2021, 10:14:18 PM »
Cut the Bilic/ Allardyce fan club stuff ffs, what is wrong with some of you lot?

The personal digs on this forum lately are embarrassing and all of you should know better as you've all had warnings about it very recently so last chance cut it out or the posts and then the posters will be taking a break and for some the break will be a permanent one.

Apologies, was more of a generalisation than directed at any poster in particular. There is certainly a faction 'for Bilić' in our fanbase, but I'll refrain from mentioning it again on here. Sorry again.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1151 on: January 03, 2021, 10:16:22 PM »
On balance I'm going to place more emphasis on the comments of Luke Dowling than your opinion; given he is the technical director whereas your a fan like me. The window is now open. Let's see how much weight we throw behind getting new players in. 2/3 additions around the first team is my expectation.

I see, meaning Dowling is inflexible, it doesn't much matter if you can't but if he can't see the circumstances have changed significantly since he made that statement then is he the right man for the job?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1152 on: January 03, 2021, 10:16:59 PM »
Apologies, was more of a generalisation than directed at any poster in particular. There is certainly a faction 'for Bilić' in our fanbase, but I'll refrain from mentioning it again on here. Sorry again.

Given the state of our club and the passion / despair that brings up in people I don't think overall we've done too badly on this forum recently. Let's face it, we are in turmoil. I remember the good old days when we were winning football games and this place was like a morgue.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:17:58 PM by OldburyWBA »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: January 03, 2021, 10:20:25 PM »
I see, meaning Dowling is inflexible, it doesn't much matter if you can't but if he can't see the circumstances have changed significantly since he made that statement then is he the right man for the job?

Since those comments were made by Dowling we've gone from broke and quite relegated to broke and extremely relegated. I don't see that as a platform to turnover the squad in January. I'd welcome all the help we can get this month, as long as we are not saddling ourselves with longer term high wages on journey men players. So to that extent I hope the activity outstrips my expectations.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1154 on: January 03, 2021, 10:23:34 PM »
It’s bloody sad how the club has contrived to split the fan base yet again, not by design but regardless, we are teeing off at each other in frustration, when the real direction for our annoyance should be the board / senior management AGAIN!!’
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1155 on: January 03, 2021, 10:44:52 PM »
You can consign that Dowling statement to the scrap heap, although it may still have some merit once Sam has had this fortnight on the training pitch to get his methods across. Irrespective 4 or 5 players will be added to the group imo.
Agree with this , I just watched the Allardyce post match interview he's been slaughtered for across many platforms. Whether you like him or not he's speaking some harsh truths regarding the squad and lack of basics imo , it really felt like an admission these players are worse than what he thought and a massive nudge at Dowling .
End of the day Lai wants out then he might have to bend on transfers to get his best price for this club , I'm guessing at 3 in at least .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1156 on: January 03, 2021, 10:54:27 PM »
It’s bloody sad how the club has contrived to split the fan base yet again, not by design but regardless, we are teeing off at each other in frustration, when the real direction for our annoyance should be the board / senior management AGAIN!!’

Amen to this.

I've been guilty of it too when emotions were running high so apologies from me if i seemed a bit arsey, wasnt my intention

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1157 on: January 03, 2021, 10:58:17 PM »
Agree with this , I just watched the Allardyce post match interview he's been slaughtered for across many platforms. Whether you like him or not he's speaking some harsh truths regarding the squad and lack of basics imo , it really felt like an admission these players are worse than what he thought and a massive nudge at Dowling .
End of the day Lai wants out then he might have to bend on transfers to get his best price for this club , I'm guessing at 3 in at least .

Since day one I've said this squad is not good enough to survive in the premiership; so that's no surprise. What is disappointing is that in his short time in charge so far, Allardyce has made us even worse. I thought he sounded desperate and defeated in his interview. I was most shocked by his statement that moving forwards we would have to sit deep and try to nick a goal to compete. As that's all we have been trying since he took over anyway; yet he tried to give the impression that we'd been taking on Arsenal and got hit on the break. Hard to tell if he had lost the plot or was deliberately being misleading. He was also banging on before the game about the players capitulating to Leeds due to lack of recovery time. Yet it was him who decided to pick an unchanged side that lacked legs.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1158 on: January 03, 2021, 11:04:18 PM »
Shouldn't he have been lbearing in mind getting the best price for the club when he demonstrably set a much too small budget in the summer? 3+ more players back then might have made us much more competitive throughout the season so far.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1159 on: January 03, 2021, 11:06:10 PM »
Why bizarre? A 2 year stay will mean he kept us up and had a successful 21/22 campaign. If it upsets the Bilić fanclub that Albion are doing well then who's outlook is odd?

I was saying it’s bizarre to want a manager to stay on just to annoy fans. I wasn’t considering that him staying for two years means we stay up or otherwise. Calm it.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1160 on: January 03, 2021, 11:09:02 PM »
Shouldn't he have been lbearing in mind getting the best price for the club when he demonstrably set a much too small budget in the summer? 3+ more players back then might have made us much more competitive throughout the season so far.

Definitely, but would you agree there was a clear divide/dispute between Bilić and Dowling over transfer targets and transfer market strategy? I see no reason not to accept the Athletic article view that they just gave up on Slaven after an irreparable breakdown in the working relationship.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1161 on: January 03, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »
I was saying it’s bizarre to want a manager to stay on just to annoy fans. I wasn’t considering that him staying for two years means we stay up or otherwise. Calm it.

I'm perfectly calm Frazzle. Perhaps worth elucidation of the point as opposed to a one word post then?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1162 on: January 03, 2021, 11:15:39 PM »
Definitely, but would you agree there was a clear divide/dispute between Bilić and Dowling over transfer targets and transfer market strategy? I see no reason not to accept the Athletic article view that they just gave up on Slaven after an irreparable breakdown in the working relationship.

The dispute arose with Bilic's annoyance at the board for not investing more in the squad. He wanted a higher calibre of player brought in. He warned them their poundland strategy was doomed to fail. He was right and the board was wrong.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1163 on: January 03, 2021, 11:17:29 PM »
I'm perfectly calm Frazzle. Perhaps worth elucidation of the point as opposed to a one word post then?

Fair enough. I thought it was clear but I’ll elucidate further next time as I think it’s a forum rule to try not to have one word replies. Thanks for picking up my error.

So where are we with Allardyce do you think? He has a record of having poor starts but then turning things around. Do you think that together with the funds provided by the club he will turn it around?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1164 on: January 03, 2021, 11:19:59 PM »
The dispute arose with Bilic's annoyance at the board for not investing more in the squad. He wanted a higher calibre of player brought in. He warned them their poundland strategy was doomed to fail. He was right and the board was wrong.

This, I do agree with.

The issue over player recruitment can be traced back to the previous summer with Zohore.

We can argue for and against the tactical limitations of both Bilic and Allardyce but it is clear their views on recruitment are on a different pedestal to those of the board.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1165 on: January 03, 2021, 11:23:22 PM »

Totally agree, particularly signing players the manager doesn't want and selling players behind his back. There was clearly no trust there.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: January 03, 2021, 11:25:48 PM »
This, I do agree with.

The issue over player recruitment can be traced back to the previous summer with Zohore.

We can argue for and against the tactical limitations of both Bilic and Allardyce but it is clear their views on recruitment are on a different pedestal to those of the board.

And this is why I just don’t get the Allardyce approach. I get that if the stories are true Bilic wasn’t going to extend his contract, but if that’s the case, and looking at the squad and players we have, why not bring in someone who has a style of play better suited and therefore potentially requiring less investment. Instead we have Allardyce who will need huge salaries and investment to get a squad he wants. It’s just not a good match in my view.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1167 on: January 03, 2021, 11:29:27 PM »
Fair enough. I thought it was clear but I’ll elucidate further next time as I think it’s a forum rule to try not to have one word replies. Thanks for picking up my error.

So where are we with Allardyce do you think? He has a record of having poor starts but then turning things around. Do you think that together with the funds provided by the club he will turn it around?

I'd expected us to be tighter at the back although we have got 1 more point than I anticipated. He's known to start slowly as you said.

I feel we've got a better chance than we had previously. A lot depends on how the current players take instruction in the next couple of weeks and yes how we pull up in the window. He definitely needs an energetic shielding DM  and a solid RB. A target man and a commanding centre back are the other 2 roles I'd say are "must find".

The owner is clearly desperate to stay in this division. We will find out in the next 4 weeks exactly how desperate.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1168 on: January 03, 2021, 11:31:55 PM »
I'd expected us to be tighter at the back although we have got 1 more point than I anticipated. He's known to start slowly as you said.

I feel we've got a better chance than we had previously. A lot depends on how the current players take instruction in the next couple of weeks and yes how we pull up in the window. He definitely needs an energetic shielding DM  and a solid RB. A target man and a commanding centre back are the other 2 roles I'd say are "must find".

The owner is clearly desperate to stay in this division. We will find out in the next 4 weeks exactly how desperate.

What worries me is the lack of any visible plan currently, and the millions he has been able to spend in the examples BT sport put up after the game. From recollection at Palace it looked like he spent 30-40m. No chance of anything like that with us.

Hopefully by the Wolves game we will be able to lock down the defence and the bore our way to safety but I don’t think it will happen unfortunately.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1169 on: January 03, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »

It was done for from Bilic first summer window in my opinion.  I do totally blame the board for this not Bilic but it was already not working between them then.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1170 on: January 03, 2021, 11:46:11 PM »
And this is why I just don’t get the Allardyce approach. I get that if the stories are true Bilic wasn’t going to extend his contract, but if that’s the case, and looking at the squad and players we have, why not bring in someone who has a style of play better suited and therefore potentially requiring less investment. Instead we have Allardyce who will need huge salaries and investment to get a squad he wants. It’s just not a good match in my view.

And those are concerns I appreciate. This is not going to be a happy marriage but they seldom are at this club.

I think the board have taken the stance that it’s better the devil and see where we end up. I certainly don’t want the long term future of the club being shaped by Alladyce, but the club are of the opinion that in the short term he can make a fist of it.

It would have been an uncomfortable job for a future up and coming manager to take. On a ride of numerous hidings ahead of a rebuild in the summer. No time for a honeymoon period there without any supportive capital in the bank.

My overall opinion is that our January window will be a mess, Allardyce will not get what he wants and will resign in March to protect his firefighter reputation. Burton and Morrison will the season out.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1171 on: January 04, 2021, 12:05:50 AM »
And those are concerns I appreciate. This is not going to be a happy marriage but they seldom are at this club.

I think the board have taken the stance that it’s better the devil and see where we end up. I certainly don’t want the long term future of the club being shaped by Alladyce, but the club are of the opinion that in the short term he can make a fist of it.

It would have been an uncomfortable job for a future up and coming manager to take. On a ride of numerous hidings ahead of a rebuild in the summer. No time for a honeymoon period there without any supportive capital in the bank.

My overall opinion is that our January window will be a mess, Allardyce will not get what he wants and will resign in March to protect his firefighter reputation. Burton and Morrison will the season out.

Yep, that's pretty much the way I see it, the only good thing is, we have a younger squad who may be able to gel next season.
Baggie in Southampton

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1172 on: January 04, 2021, 03:55:47 AM »
I also think Allardyce will walk before the end of the season.

Would be interesting to read his interviews from his early Palace/Sunderland days to see if he was saying similar things to what he is now when he first took over and had poor results.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1173 on: January 04, 2021, 06:56:59 AM »
I also think Allardyce will walk before the end of the season.

Would be interesting to read his interviews from his early Palace/Sunderland days to see if he was saying similar things to what he is now when he first took over and had poor results.

I think he'll probably work his ticket. I.E. put the club in a position whereby he gets the sack.
I would imagine he won't want to be in the hot seat when we drop into the Championship.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1174 on: January 04, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »

If SA does manage to make a fist of it & keep us up, it's inconceivable that he wouldn't be given a contract extension.

The number one priority for the current owner is to retain EPL status, why would he put that at risk.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?