Author Topic: 26 Dec 2017 Albion 0 Everton 0  (Read 42156 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2017, 11:05:29 PM »
He averages 10 goals a season across his career,he's 28 so if he plays another 14 seasons you might be right.don't go wasting your money at a bookies if you'd back him to better Super kevs goalscoring career i will gladly take a wager with you.easiest money I'll ever make.

You sure. Venezuelan league not that great  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

chris-wba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2017, 11:49:22 PM »
More possession obviously corrolates to better results regardless of your single outlier example.

Whats Man Citys average possession this season?
 Chelsea last year? What was Sunderlands last year when they finished bottom? Pretty sure they were second bottom in possession (behind us)

It also clearly corrolates to entertainment which as spectators is clearly what we want

Statistically I'm sure possession will correlate with results for exactly the point you make.

Surely the key thing here though is that our results haven't really got better or worse, but I (and I dare say us all) are enjoying the games much more. For the first time in a long time I'm coming out the games looking forward to the next one, even after Stoke because we actually gave it good go.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2017, 12:40:42 AM »
Regardless of what league and age Rondon never has or will be half the striker Phillips was. 246 goals in 580 matches a record Rondon won't get anywhere near.

You can't compare 2007 Championship to 2017 Premier League. Phillips was bagging goals against dross like Scunthorpe and Barnsley. Crystal Palace have a £30m French international centre back for comparison. Phillips, in his mid 30's, would be less useful than Rondon in this current side.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2017, 01:33:15 AM »
You can't compare 2007 Championship to 2017 Premier League. Phillips was bagging goals against dross like Scunthorpe and Barnsley. Crystal Palace have a £30m French international centre back for comparison. Phillips, in his mid 30's, would be less useful than Rondon in this current side.

Kevin Phillips also played in the Premier League and he scored at all levels. He was everything that Rondon isn't. So much more awareness and anticipation, being in the right place at the right time, and then being clinical when the chances came. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2017, 01:48:33 AM »
The good news is that we are creating chances again, 17 according to official statistics.
Having Phillips and Dawson going up the right side and Brunt and Gibbs up the left has given us alot more attacking threat. This is all positive. The glaring weakness is ability to put the ball in the net. I agree you need some luck, but it's more than that. This area was neglected by Pulis because he put so much empahsis on training for set pieces. You wonder if they ever did any other attacking training.

I think Tony figures it's more sustainable to rely on set pieces to score goals than finding a 20 goal striker for a mid level PL team.  Given the struggle that Andre Gray/Iheanacho/Jay Rodriguez/Berahino are having scoring goals at that 15M price range it's not the worse idea for Pulis.

This year the set pieces are not there. Whether it was the lack of Brunt/Phillips/Mcauley or Tony could not set up the proper routines anymore and that cost him his job.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #230 on: December 27, 2017, 02:07:50 AM »
Your right we do have some of the dumbest fans in the country.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #231 on: December 27, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
The ball was put on a f*cking plate in a position any striker could only dream of... and rondon fluffed it... again.

I really like rondon and have always supported him before and during his time here, but it's about time he steps up and starts scoring now. Before Pardew we could have said he doesn't get much chances, since Pardew we are leaving the games saying, "If rondon finished those chances etc etc".

I hope he proves all his critics wrong as I really do hope he succeeds here, but the issue is it's getting abit of an habit now that he misses so many easy chances.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #232 on: December 27, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »

Good point. It was much more exciting than this.

That said I thought - strikers ignored - we were pretty good yesterday.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: December 27, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »
The ball was put on a f*cking plate in a position any striker could only dream of... and rondon fluffed it... again.

I really like rondon and have always supported him before and during his time here, but it's about time he steps up and starts scoring now. Before Pardew we could have said he doesn't get much chances, since Pardew we are leaving the games saying, "If rondon finished those chances etc etc".

I hope he proves all his critics wrong as I really do hope he succeeds here, but the issue is it's getting abit of an habit now that he misses so many easy chances.

He missed his chances with a grace that only Berahino could emulate. World class fail.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
I actually thought Livermore was better Yesterday , did give a few bad passes away though . Greg on the other hand offered little other than backward passes in his 25 mins , I want him creating not passing back to Dawson.
Performance wise much better , Gibbs/Brunt and Dawson/Phillips works very well . Its the finishing as we all know , bad finishing from Rondon but he is the best we have as yet again J Rod was average at best.
I was not keen on Pardew but he's not far off getting it right.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
No one has mentioned Everton they was so defensive and boring .... almost Pullis like. At the moment we will struggle to break down teams like this. Pullis and Big SAM are a crime to football.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
Enjoyed the match yesterday on the whole. Thought we looked a lot brighter with Phillips back, shame that Chadli is made of glass as the two of them might have given us that extra bit that we need up front.

We are playing a lot better , having more possession, creating many more chances but we just lack anything decent up front and some of our players look scared to make a mistake, especially Rodriguez. He had a chance to shoot from the edge of the box late in the 2nd half yesterday but instead kept hold of the ball looking for someone to pass to and eventually got crowded out by 3 players.

Can we also work on corners as both Phillips' and Brunt's were poor yesterday with too many not even getting past the first defender, also the free-kick that Phillips took in the 2nd half was just a waste; we need to do better with that kind of chance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
Enjoyed the match yesterday on the whole. Thought we looked a lot brighter with Phillips back, shame that Chadli is made of glass as the two of them might have given us that extra bit that we need up front.

We are playing a lot better , having more possession, creating many more chances but we just lack anything decent up front and some of our players look scared to make a mistake, especially Rodriguez. He had a chance to shoot from the edge of the box late in the 2nd half yesterday but instead kept hold of the ball looking for someone to pass to and eventually got crowded out by 3 players.

Can we also work on corners as both Phillips' and Brunt's were poor yesterday with too many not even getting past the first defender, also the free-kick that Phillips took in the 2nd half was just a waste; we need to do better with that kind of chance.

Yeah that really annoyed me. At that stage of the game with the position we are in you have to make sure when that ball leaves your foot it's hitting the goal. If someone gets in the way fine but to miss the target in that situation is criminal.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »
Your right we do have some of the dumbest fans in the country.

Ok, first of all the irony of your insult. The word you want is "You're" and secondly Phillips used to play in the PL and did a mighty fine job. He bossed the championship when he played in it because even at his age, he still had pure class. And fair enough, that's my opinion. He was offered a one year contract but wanted two, so it didn't happen.

But my original comparison was how Rondon is a big player but doesn't often use his strength, we only see brief moments of it like against spurs when he scored. It reminded me of de freitas and anichebe. Looking at them you'd think they were immense but their goals to game ratio was very poor. In my opinion, he's not a clinical finisher although you could argue he hasn't been given the supply. Hopefully now Brunt is back that will change.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
Ok, first of all the irony of your insult. The word you want is "You're" and secondly Phillips used to play in the PL and did a mighty fine job. He bossed the championship when he played in it because even at his age, he still had pure class. And fair enough, that's my opinion. He was offered a one year contract but wanted two, so it didn't happen.

But my original comparison was how Rondon is a big player but doesn't often use his strength, we only see brief moments of it like against spurs when he scored. It reminded me of de freitas and anichebe. Looking at them you'd think they were immense but their goals to game ratio was very poor. In my opinion, he's not a clinical finisher although you could argue he hasn't been given the supply. Hopefully now Brunt is back that will change.

He was disagreeing with me, but thanks for showing him up for the ironic spelling mistake.

I have no problem with people questioning Rondon, but the reason I'm constantly on here defending him is the over the top comments that are clearly nonsense. How is our fourth highest PL goal scoring striker being compared to the likes of De Freitas, Williams and Anichebe after a game where he missed one chance and we looked worse when he went off injured? He scored in the previous game and has been top scorer every season since he joined, yes he's not the most clinical player in the league but his all-round game is on another planet to our other two 'strikers'.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »
He was disagreeing with me, but thanks for showing him up for the ironic spelling mistake.

I have no problem with people questioning Rondon, but the reason I'm constantly on here defending him is the over the top comments that are clearly nonsense. How is our fourth highest PL goal scoring striker being compared to the likes of De Freitas, Williams and Anichebe after a game where he missed one chance and we looked worse when he went off injured? He scored in the previous game and has been top scorer every season since he joined, yes he's not the most clinical player in the league but his all-round game is on another planet to our other two 'strikers'.

I appear to have missed a page and have therefore insulted someone who I actually agree with ;D I've just re-read through the whole thread and understand Caravan is defending Phillips. Going by the 'dumbest fans in the country' comment, I thought Caravan was insulting my comments about strikers.

In my defence, some posts have been deleted since I was last on!  :P But still, there was a valuable spelling lesson in it!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2017, 11:38:44 PM »
I appear to have missed a page and have therefore insulted someone who I actually agree with ;D I've just re-read through the whole thread and understand Caravan is defending Phillips. Going by the 'dumbest fans in the country' comment, I thought Caravan was insulting my comments about strikers.

In my defence, some posts have been deleted since I was last on!  :P But still, there was a valuable spelling lesson in it!
Your,you're,yaw,yor.who cares its xmas🎅😈😁