West Brom Dot Com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Tony Pulis
« Last post by Albion79 on Today at 02:35:50 PM »
I give Pulis (and the players) massive credit for the second half last night, they turned it round and we were unlucky not to win.

But thats my point, first half we just sat off City and let them come at us (they dont need much help with that anyway) and if we had played like that the whole game we would of got beat 5 or 6 nil.

Instead we did something that most teams dont second half, we got in their faces and put them under pressure and they were rocking.

We have to keep the strong organised back line but when we are under so much pressure and get the ball forward quick, having two players pressuring upfront makes so much difference as we saw last night, Man City wasnt expecting that, most big clubs arent, they were probably expect lesser teams be plucky and try and nick a fluke, instead we went at them, created chances and they were struggling.

Chances are we will lose when we play the big boys because they have better players but you have always got to give yourself a chance and second half last night we did that and i hope there is more to come.
« Last post by hillsm on Today at 01:42:30 PM »
I know what you mean Boinging_along but i think last season out the 'big boys' we drew with Spurs at home, beat Arsenal at home and i think lost the rest.

Although we only lost a few of the games by a small margin, we ultimately did still lose.

I dont want us to go crazy, our basis is we are organised and disciplined, we need to keep that without doubt but actually offer something the other end, give teams something to think about, especially those with weaker defences, we may still lose but would rather lose having a go at getting a positive result rather than losing just hoping we nick a point.

We drew away at Old Trafford and was a poor defensive slip up away from getting a point at Chelsea as well. From memory the goals we conceded away to Liverpool were poor - think Nyom got caught out similar to the opening goal against Brighton recently.

I think TP sets us up in the correct manner against the bigger teams, it's important to stay in the game as long as possible and give us credit last night could have turned into a horror show after conceding so early on. Yes Foster made some good saves but that's what hes in the team to do, none of them were particularly extraordinary.

Look how Watford and Feyenoord got steamrollered by City recently, that's what will happen if we open up too much - the winning goal they scored last night being a classic example.

The season before last I think we had a good record against the bigger teams and people were complaining that we weren't doing it against the teams in and around us.
« Last post by Albion79 on Today at 01:24:48 PM »
I know what you mean Boinging_along but i think last season out the 'big boys' we drew with Spurs at home, beat Arsenal at home and i think lost the rest.

Although we only lost a few of the games by a small margin, we ultimately did still lose.

I dont want us to go crazy, our basis is we are organised and disciplined, we need to keep that without doubt but actually offer something the other end, give teams something to think about, especially those with weaker defences, we may still lose but would rather lose having a go at getting a positive result rather than losing just hoping we nick a point.
« Last post by boinging_along on Today at 12:11:54 PM »
Its about playing to your strengths, we have hard working, aggressive strikers, make use of them.

How we approach these games has got us some decent results recently.  Not really been on the end of a spanking (that often).

I'd say our strengths are organisation and keeping it tight at the back.

We might have hard working, aggressive strikers, but I'm not sure that's a strength we should play towards - we still don't have that clinical finisher.
« Last post by barnestormer on Today at 12:06:29 PM »
Easy When your sitting watching, isn't it? Even world class players miss sitters mate.
Not as often as our players mate
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but looking over City's winner, Evans stands off more than Olsson used to right from inside their half. Then allows Sane to run off him and make it 2 on 1 against Dawson.
Think that has to be our tactic against the big boys - bully them, battle them, make their 30-40m pound players realise they are in for a fight. It's ugly but when they've got players worth more than our entire squad combined, we have to cut them out the game.

City fans appalled with Yacobs ball winning tackle show they don't like being roughed up and it sure as hell beats sitting back and inviting pressure, as we do most games, looking like we won a competition to play against the opposition.

We want to see good football but we can't go toe to toe with these teams. We need to hound them out of their comfortable game plans.

On to Arsenal who are another team who don't like physicality.
« Last post by Albion79 on Today at 10:48:15 AM »
I thought we showed City too much respect first half but second half got at them a bit.

I think out the big boys, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City clearly their defences are their weak spot, we arent going to out football them, whether we play 10 behind the ball or 8, it doesnt matter, they will have more of the ball that us.

So why not release the shackles, play two up front like we did most of the second half and put their weak spot under pressure? We know we play on the counter so if we are getting it forward, have two strikers to occupy their defence as we break as well as the pace from the wings. We will still have enough players back who are organised, disciplined and behind the ball so we dont get caught out.

I know its not quite as easy as FIFA football but the chances are we are going to get beat by the big boys, problem is a lot of the 'smaller' teams play into their hands by going damage limitation, why not catch them on the hop and actually really try and exploit their weakness, would rather have a go and lose 3-1 knowing we have had a go at winning the game than lose 2-0 knowing we just went to keep the score down.

Its about playing to your strengths, we have hard working, aggressive strikers, make use of them.
A really enjoyable game but sadly the reality is half our season went last night, we now have the FA Cup to focus on!

First half felt like a friendly, City are so good going forward and it was a one man show from Foster to keep us in it, i think we showed them too much respect.

However second half different story, we got in their faces, roughed them up a bit and put their weakest area (defence) under pressure, and second half we were the better side and could of won (we were lucky to still be in it at half time to be fair)

Morrison was unlucky with a couple and Robson-Kanu should of obviously scored but do think its harsh to say 'that proves he is a championship striker or he isnt good enough' he missed a a chance, all strikers do it, Jesus in the first half for them did the hard work had most of the goal to aim at and his shot nearly hit McDonalds, and he is going to be one of the best players in the world!

I would give Robson-Kanu a run of games, he is nuisance, and whatever happened before he joined us, his scoring record for us is in goals to games good, he deserves a chance. If he misses chances reguarly then similar to Rondon and every other striker thats when questions get asked and others get the shirt.

On a side note, thought Rondon and Robson-Kanu linked up well when Rondon came on, again he got in their faces a bit and the big boys dont like that.
I spotted this straight away and said so to my daughter who was sat beside me.

I like Daws though so won't be too harsh on him, but if I know he's going to cut inside, surely Daws should!

I thought this too, and didn't notice live, but just watched the highlights on the man city website and noticed Dawson points to his left when Sane has the ball, as though he's trying to guide Sane in that direction and stands more on Sane's left, but Sane still cuts inside onto his left and shoots. He's a top player. City were just outstanding.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10