Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 413318 times)

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #325 on: December 13, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
Yet again we get the Aussies in a good position and then let them back in the game. Very surprised that none of Steve Finn, Chris Tremlett or Boyd Rankin have started this game. I really don't fancy us to get much from this Test Match. Its such a shame that these two back to back series look over before we get to the fourth test.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #326 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »
Yes it was a very safety first selection just bringing back Bresnan. With the situation as it is in the series and knowing what the Perth wicket is like, we just had to bring in Finn or Rankin.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #327 on: December 14, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
England finished 180-4 still 205 runs behind. The game is very much in the balance. I really hope Ian Bell and Ben Stokes can bat as well as what they did towards the end. We need someone to make century still not to have a centurion on this tour so far. KP again playing a stupid shot, Root unlucky with his dismissal too.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
Cant help feeling there is going to be another collapse here.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2013, 01:33:29 AM »
I have faith in Bell, not so much the rest, if we can get to 320 then we're in the test.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »
Disastrous morning... I'd suggest we need a new wicketkeeper...

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »
Just shocking Stokes and Prior have just thrown their wickets away game and series over now.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2013, 03:58:02 AM »
The mentality in this team is all wrong, the Aussies have been good but the same things happen against all countries nowadays.

Bowling wise every single team's tail puts on a strong show against us, gives the opposition far better scores than they should have. I get the feeling that they must just think the job is done or something, because its literally every single game now that they can't remove the tail. Usually they get smashed all over the place too.

Batting wise its just pathetic, far too negative. Dullest side to watch in the world and not even effective at it. Our batsmen basically just eat up overs till they nick one or get out LBW. The reason none of them are getting hundreds is because the pace we bat at they'd have to be out there 2 days to reach triple figures!

It's a terrible side and in some ways I'm glad that the cracks have truly ripped open. The teams been pathetic since the summer of 2011 and this has been coming a long while - far too long has this side got by on one or two players bailing out the entire side. Scrap Cook as captain - he's a terrible captain and its affecting his batting, get rid of Pieterson and Prior out the side who are living off past glories now too. Bowling wise i'm not too sure what they can do but Anderson's not the wicket threat he was anymore, that's the biggest problem, whilst we have no consistent 3rd option. Bresnan isn't the answer, and Finn seems ruined by these attempts at changing his run up.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:00:23 AM by Dan »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2013, 05:45:32 AM »
The mentality in this team is all wrong, the Aussies have been good but the same things happen against all countries nowadays.

Bowling wise every single team's tail puts on a strong show against us, gives the opposition far better scores than they should have. I get the feeling that they must just think the job is done or something, because its literally every single game now that they can't remove the tail. Usually they get smashed all over the place too.

Batting wise its just pathetic, far too negative. Dullest side to watch in the world and not even effective at it. Our batsmen basically just eat up overs till they nick one or get out LBW. The reason none of them are getting hundreds is because the pace we bat at they'd have to be out there 2 days to reach triple figures!

It's a terrible side and in some ways I'm glad that the cracks have truly ripped open. The teams been pathetic since the summer of 2011 and this has been coming a long while - far too long has this side got by on one or two players bailing out the entire side. Scrap Cook as captain - he's a terrible captain and its affecting his batting, get rid of Pieterson and Prior out the side who are living off past glories now too. Bowling wise i'm not too sure what they can do but Anderson's not the wicket threat he was anymore, that's the biggest problem, whilst we have no consistent 3rd option. Bresnan isn't the answer, and Finn seems ruined by these attempts at changing his run up.

Good post mate, I'll only disagree on a couple of points ;) Pietersen must play and Anderson is the best bowler in the world in English conditions and easily in the top ten away from blighty.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
We have been appalling, not just the case that the Aussies have bowled well but some of the shots that we have played have been very very poor. Their will be a lot of questions at the end of this series. Matt Prior has been on a very poor run for some time now. I dont know why none of Tremlett, Finn or Rankin have not played in this Test match.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
I would agree with, Dan. We've papered over the cracks and now we're getting exposed.

Time for some changes after this series has been wrapped up. Out with the old and in with the new.

In the opening three test matches, they have embarrassed our shirt against what is a mediocre Australian side.

Just think of the damage that could be happening had McGrath, Warne, Ponting, Hussey, Hayden and Langer been facing this lot of bottle jobs.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:40 PM »
This makes for horrendous viewing:

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2013, 03:32:44 AM »
Aussies putting England to the sword.  No chance of England winning here at the WACA draw at best! but can only see the Aussie bowling them out early by the 4th morning.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »
251-5 England, at last some fight and very positive batting. Ben Stokes batted beautifully a great timer of the ball and the took on Johnson and played some great shots 72 no. Ian Bell played very well for 60 too. We may lose this series but one big plus is Ben Stokes, very early yet in his career and development but for a player who got so much flack when he came out to bat in the last Test to then perform like this is very good.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Ben Stokes showing the senior players how to do it.

I've become fed up of Kevin Pieterson - the remainder of this series has gone. I'd actually give Gary Ballance the opportunity alongside Jonny Bairstow ahead of Matt Prior (depending on his score in this innings), Panesar in for Swann and Finn in for Stuart Broad if he's injured.

A lot of talk has been mentioned about Sam Robson and his potential to fit into the England side - another thing which was viewed as a positive was Jos Buttler's move to Lancashire to allow him to take up the gloves permanently - he has a lot of learning to do, however if England are going to opt for him in the test match environment.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »
Anderson hasn't shown enough since mid summer at home. He really looks as though something's missing competitively. Wish Onions was there to replace him.
Broad if fit is the only bowler guaranteed a place for me. I do think that the bowlers are just as much to blame as the batsmen who have copped most of the flack.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
In fairness to the bowlers and I'm not denying that they have been poor, but this is their first poor series in an awfully long time. They have been carrying the side for quite a while, covering up our inability to bat.

There was always going to be a problem when the bowlers weren't taking wickets or containing the opposition and unsurprisingly, it's highlighted our glaring weaknesses with the bat.

Australia isn't really made for a Graham Onions type bowler - it was either him or James Anderson - then again, I don't think he would have done any worse than Anderson or Tremlett who have both flattered to deceive on this tour.

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Having been quite lucky at vital times during the series in England the England camp + 'informed' commentators, aka Ian Botham, seemed to think it was going to be easy.
The arrogance has been well and truly knocked out of them.
Prior and Swan's time is probably up likewise Pietersen, 8000 test runs or not, is a nightmare to manage so has to go to.
Bairstow is nowhere near a good enough wicketkeeper for test level, Butler is and useful with the bat too so give him go and if Alistair Cook has had enough of the captaincy give the job to Ian Bell.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
Prehaps questions should be asked over Andy Flower. His job as Head Coach is surely to motivate and this does not appear to be happening. The Aussies wanted it more, England got rattled by ths sledging and therefore bottled it.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
Their is an uncertainly about Andy Flowers contract could be an issue. From 2009 till the summer as a team we have played some great Cricket. The bowlers haven't performed but when you don't have runs to play with it does change as you cant build pressure on batsmen.

Although I'm really disspointed with the result and manner of the defeat I think we will have some changes happening soon. Stokes looks really good, once Root is in the middle order and Bell is at three we will be a better batting side.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #345 on: December 17, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »
Prehaps questions should be asked over Andy Flower. His job as Head Coach is surely to motivate and this does not appear to be happening. The Aussies wanted it more, England got rattled by ths sledging and therefore bottled it.

I think the likelihood was that, regardless of who won this Series, that Andy Flower would probably be leaving at the end of it. Our hammering so far will only cement that, in my opinion. He was asked the question regarding his future at the end of the summer series and refused to give a definite answer about whether he was involved for the long term. With Ashley Giles taking up the reigns in the one day games, it wouldn't surprise me to see him being awarded with the position for all three facets of the game.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #346 on: December 22, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
Graeme Swann has retired from all forms of cricket.

Slightly surprised at the timing of the decision but nothing surprises me on this farce of a tour.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #347 on: December 22, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »
Wonderful player arguably our best ever spinner, perhaps Laker would have something to say about that but nobody else. He leaves a massive hole in the team. Nothing odd about the decision the series is gone, gives another spinner much needed experience down under.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #348 on: December 22, 2013, 03:53:43 AM »
Wonderful player arguably our best ever spinner, perhaps Laker would have something to say about that but nobody else. He leaves a massive hole in the team. Nothing odd about the decision the series is gone, gives another spinner much needed experience down under.

Well it'll just be Panesar who takes over for this series now. Panesar's not the future but given the horrific performance Kerrigan gave on his debut, I wouldn't be too surprised if he's the main spinner going into the summer series either, though hopefully Kerrigan will be given a chance in the Sri Lanka tests.

Still, the team does feel stale, it could do with a new era, although it'll take a couple of years for the new guys to bed in.

Cook, Root, Bell, Ballance, Taylor, Stokes, Bairstow (wk), Broad, Meaker/Mills?, Finn, Kerrigan.

Something like that for the side for the return Ashes. Although the selectors don't seem to like Taylor too much for whatever reason, maybe that Sam Robson instead who seems rated. Likewise hard to select a 3rd seamer, Mills they seem to rate as a genuine pace option but he's got someway to improve yet.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:55:48 AM by Dan »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #349 on: December 22, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »
Re: the spinner. They can call anyone in the world up if they want.

Cook will rightly lose the captaincy after this series and there will be no dropping of either Pietersen or Anderson (our two best players) also more likely Buttler will be the next long term wicket keeper, not a batsman having a go at it.