Author Topic: Jeff Astle poem  (Read 1044 times)

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

Jeff Astle poem
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
Not sure where to post this but obviously Albion!

Harry Taylor

"When we had 'The Jeff Astle Day' in June, my friend Alan Jeavons popped along. Alan is a member of a poetry group that I helped start. He wrote this poem to pass on to Jeff's daughter Dawn.
I'm sure Alan wouldn't mind me sharing it with you.

A STAR IN STRIPES

In 1964, my team..."The Baggies", decided they would sign, Another centre-forward, who'd wear the number nine.
Little did we, the fans realise, just what lay in store, The excitement he would bring to the club, and the goals that he would score.
I was just a teenager, way back then,but I never will forget, Season after season, how he knew to find the net!
With fellow spearhead "Bomber Brown", they mesmerised defences, Bulging nets and frustrated 'keepers, became regular consequences.
What a partnership they produced!, they were happy times back then, The likes of which, undoubtably, I'll never see again.
We've had some good players, over the years, and a few you could call greats, So proud of Jeff Astle were the Albion, that they renamed the gates!
And there's a bridge in Netherton, fans dedicated to his fame, It bears a plaque, but locals, all refer to it by name!
From those of us who saw him play, and still his praises sing. Thank you Jeff, you're still remembered, you'll always be "The King"!

Alan Jeavons.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

Re: Jeff Astle poem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
So privileged to see the King play at the first game i saw Albion in 1969 and of course he scored the opening goal!
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Jeff Astle poem
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 11:43:44 PM »
 ;D Saw him play his first home game 10th October 1964 v Wolves and of course he scored in the 5-1 win.....I knew then he would become "folklore".