Author Topic: Our Legends who are they  (Read 23967 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Our Legends who are they
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »
are any of our current crop legends? what about the chairman

I wouldn't say legends they have all played a fantastic part in getting us were we are today, peace, megson, hodgson players like super kev, gera, lukaku, brunt, Morrison all been great for this club.

Also odemwingie for that one season the way he played and got me excited for the match was a very good feeling, post that season he obviously ruined it for himself with the help of ole arry.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
I wouldn't say legends they have all played a fantastic part in getting us were we are today, peace, megson, hodgson players like super kev, gera, lukaku, brunt, Morrison all been great for this club.

Also odemwingie for that one season the way he played and got me excited for the match was a very good feeling, post that season he obviously ruined it for himself with the help of ole arry.
Odemwingie  a legend, really? Never in a month of pigs pudding!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »
Odemwingie  a legend, really? Never in a month of pigs pudding!

Nah I didn't say that my friend I meant more for how much I enjoyed that season when he was good, not a legend by no means even without the drama he wasn't here long enough.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
What about Lee Ashcroft and Tony Lange? Without those two that afternoon at Fratton Park we might be in a different place right now

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
What about Lee Ashcroft and Tony Lange? Without those two that afternoon at Fratton Park we might be in a different place right now

I would say more of an hero
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
Gary Megson without whom the last 15 years would not have been possible.

The Stroller

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »

i said name one :) let all others think of somebody

Oops!  :-[
That'll teach me for posting while pretending to work!

OK, here's my one: Billy Bassett.

Played for the club for 12 years.
Club chairman for 30 years.
Saved the club from bankruptcy, twice.
Put the club on a stable footing.
Oversaw the only League Championship win.
One of only three Albion "products" to be included in the Football League 100 Legends list.
More than 100,000 people lined the streets for his funeral.

Can't get any more legendary than that!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »
More of a 'cult hero' than a 'legend' but my favourite player is Zoltan Gera. People rave about Koumas but for me he failed to do it when it counts and most of the talk is ifs-and-buts, whereas Gera got to the Europa league final and was generally a class act on a more consistent basis. Some of his touches and control were amazing, plus he had a fantastic leap on him.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
More of a 'cult hero' than a 'legend' but my favourite player is Zoltan Gera. People rave about Koumas but for me he failed to do it when it counts and most of the talk is ifs-and-buts, whereas Gera got to the Europa league final and was generally a class act on a more consistent basis. Some of his touches and control were amazing, plus he had a fantastic leap on him.
I agree about Zoltan. When we first signed him he was a class above anyone else we had. I remember reading that he flew to the UK for talks with Crystal Palace, but we hijacked the deal
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »
I first went up in 1989. Someone's already said Bob, so I'll go with Daryl Burgess, gave us his best years, 12 seasons, 332 appearances. A very good defender when we were quite frankly, pooh.
I have his shirt!!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
Oops!  :-[
That'll teach me for posting while pretending to work!

OK, here's my one: Billy Bassett.

Played for the club for 12 years.
Club chairman for 30 years.
Saved the club from bankruptcy, twice.
Put the club on a stable footing.
Oversaw the only League Championship win.
One of only three Albion "products" to be included in the Football League 100 Legends list.
More than 100,000 people lined the streets for his funeral.

Can't get any more legendary than that!

Great post. I can't pick one, there are a good number for me, so instead I will say good call on this. Great reasoning.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:50 PM »
In my time
Odemwingie..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »
Bobby Hope

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
People like Odemwingie, Gera , Morrison are modern day favourites, heroes maybe but certainly not legends, a word banded around way way too much these days in all walks of life, the days where someone wins a medal and gets an OBE, MBE never to be heard of again when people from years gone by had to work harder to get these things and were never recognised in many cases until after their death.

People like Bomber, Jesse Pennington, Regis, Astle, Glidden, Bassett and the like are legends, names still talked about and known about many years after they have moved on.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
People like Odemwingie, Gera , Morrison are modern day favourites, heroes maybe but certainly not legends, a word banded around way way too much these days in all walks of life, the days where someone wins a medal and gets an OBE, MBE never to be heard of again when people from years gone by had to work harder to get these things and were never recognised in many cases until after their death.

People like Bomber, Jesse Pennington, Regis, Astle, Glidden, Bassett and the like are legends, names still talked about and known about many years after they have moved on.
No offence, but of the ones you mentioned I only really know of bomber, astle and Regis and never saw any live , I think Odemwingie is genuinely a WBA legend, the hat-trick that started the dingle demise cemented it.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »
Odemwingie could have been a legend if he stayed here and kept his trap shut.

He blew it big time here.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »
Laurie Cunningham. He was so good on his day he'd slot straight into the current Barcelona team. Loved the bloke.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »
Laurie Cunningham. He was so good on his day he'd slot straight into the current Barcelona team. Loved the bloke.

??? No he wouldn't.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 11:30:53 AM »
Len Cantello - so underrated and lynch pin of that great side.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
I don't subscribe to the theory that Odemwingie can't be a legend because of the way he left. If you view only his time with us he was absolutely fantastic, on a different level to anything any of the under 40 odds would have seen. He played a similar number of games for us as Cunningham. Left under different circumstances clearly, but both left ultimately.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »
If GMac had been with us from the start of his career (which we could have developed)...Would he be considered as a legend or a hero?

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »

??? No he wouldn't.
Yes he would - did you ever see him, live I mean, not a few seconds on you tube.
Cunningham would have walked into any of today's top teams
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »
No offence, but of the ones you mentioned I only really know of bomber, astle and Regis and never saw any live , I think Odemwingie is genuinely a WBA legend, the hat-trick that started the dingle demise cemented it.

You should know, I never take offence on here, its the internet, if you get offended by it then you should stay away.  ;)

If you read the books on the history of this club then those other names like Bassett, Pennington, Glidden and co made a major impact on the club throughout the years, you do not have to see someone live to know what they have done.

Odemwingie had the potential but ruined it all, apart from that hat-trick he will be remembered for driving to London. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned along with some of the other names. Modern day hero to some maybe, legend never.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
W.G Richardson

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
You should know, I never take offence on here, its the internet, if you get offended by it then you should stay away.  ;)

If you read the books on the history of this club then those other names like Bassett, Pennington, Glidden and co made a major impact on the club throughout the years, you do not have to see someone live to know what they have done.

Odemwingie had the potential but ruined it all, apart from that hat-trick he will be remembered for driving to London. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned along with some of the other names. Modern day hero to some maybe, legend never.

I'd disagree with the fact odemwingie will never be remembered apart from that hat trick, like you say never a legend or hero however I thoroughly enjoyable player to pay money to go and see, joy to watch.