Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283094 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke
« Reply #950 on: August 10, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
Just give us all a bag of nuts..just wartched the replay

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #951 on: August 10, 2019, 11:26:52 PM »
Some of the posts on here are getting pathetic.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #952 on: August 11, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
Impossible to judge him when he only gets the odd 15 minutes here and there. I don't actually know what he is but I don't think he's a striker that's for sure, when he was on with Kanu they both kept trying to run into the same space when we had the ball out wide.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #953 on: August 11, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
I don't think he has a football brain or can understand instructions,shame but sell him.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #954 on: August 11, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
Impossible to judge him when he only gets the odd 15 minutes here and there. I don't actually know what he is but I don't think he's a striker that's for sure, when he was on with Kanu they both kept trying to run into the same space when we had the ball out wide.

TBH on yesterday's showing I'd put HRK infront of Burke and Ken
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #955 on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »
Thought Burke was going to be a superstar when he signed - he doesn't have a tactical thought in his head. Doesn't know where to stand, where to run, who to pass to, never seems to know if he has time or space. ZERO footballing initiative or understanding.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him because he's so out of his depth. Scouts and coaches obviously look at him and (quite rightly) think he's got the perfect physical qualities for modern footballer and assume you can teach the technical and tactical stuff. He'll never have the technical or tactical quality to cut it in the Championship, let alone higher.

He's a kid with what looks like raw potential on a Youtube highlights reel. The fact is he has done squat since he played for Forest. It doesn't seem like he as the potential to grow into anything better than he is because he doesn't seem to take anything in - there has been ZERO development in him since the day he signed. Any potential he has is athletic and not footballing.

Between us and Leipzig, £28 million has been spent on this kid. I'd genuinely rather have Mickey Evans or Fabian de Freitas.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:20:01 PM by tlms-p23 »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: August 13, 2019, 10:24:39 PM »
he's like an expensive pair of shoes that just don't fit correctly. too much money spent buying them to just throw away but no matter how long you keep them they'll never be any use.😦

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #957 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
Thought Burke was going to be a superstar when he signed - he doesn't have a tactical thought in his head. Doesn't know where to stand, where to run, who to pass to, never seems to know if he has time or space. ZERO footballing initiative or understanding.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him because he's so out of his depth. Scouts and coaches obviously look at him and (quite rightly) think he's got the perfect physical qualities for modern footballer and assume you can teach the technical and tactical stuff. He'll never have the technical or tactical quality to cut it in the Championship, let alone higher.

He's a kid with what looks like raw potential on a Youtube highlights reel. The fact is he has done squat since he played for Forest. It doesn't seem like he as the potential to grow into anything better than he is because he doesn't seem to take anything in - there has been ZERO development in him since the day he signed. Any potential he has is athletic and not footballing.

Between us and Leipzig, £28 million has been spent on this kid. I'd genuinely rather have Mickey Evans or Fabian de Freitas.

It's odd you mention Forest, because he looked good there - since then he's looked worse which shouldn't be happening at his age.
I agree that he just doesn't have a footballing brain. He has pace power, athleticism etc but not much else it seems and sadly he makes James McClean look like an intelligent footballer.

I do hope it works out for him but he's played for us under 5 managers now and it doesn't look good.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #958 on: August 13, 2019, 10:39:54 PM »
Think he was given his big chance tonight with 90 minutes and no replacements on the bench and again didn’t deliver. Not sure where tonight leaves him now but hope the new signings make more of an impact.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #959 on: August 13, 2019, 10:40:12 PM »
Needs a loan move somewhere he will get regular games, only options seem to be SPL with the exception of the big 2. With the additions we have made in wide areas I wouldn't be surprised if he does move out somewhere before the window closes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #960 on: August 13, 2019, 10:49:01 PM »
He just hasn't got a footballing brain. His anticipation is all wrong and he seems continually on a different wavelength to his teammates. I believe Leipzig released him because he lacked tactical awareness, something that is all too obvious. A record of one competitive goal since he's been with us is pretty appalling. I think we just have to accept we made a mistake and try and get something for him from a lower division or SPL club.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #961 on: August 13, 2019, 10:51:37 PM »
Needs a loan move somewhere he will get regular games, only options seem to be SPL with the exception of the big 2. With the additions we have made in wide areas I wouldn't be surprised if he does move out somewhere before the window closes.

I’d suggest somewhere like Bromsgrove Sporting where he should get a regular appearance from the bench.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #962 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
I’d suggest somewhere like Bromsgrove Sporting where he should get a regular appearance from the bench.

About the same level as the SPL then  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #963 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:46 PM »
About the same level as the SPL then  :D

Yes  ;) Bromsgrove fan base is probably on a par with some SPL clubs as well.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #964 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:41 PM »
Hopefully the last time we see him in an Albion shirt. Waste of space, get him out on loan back to the pub league north of the border. Looks like its his level.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #965 on: August 13, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
All I can say is that this guy must have one hell of a good agent!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #966 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »
He just didn't look interested at all, put no real effort in
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #967 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:07 PM »
The guys isn’t a centre forward and never will be, that last 20 odd minutes was a total waste, he seemed to start the second half well out wide and made some decent runs. Feel for him a bit as he never seems to get the chance across 90mins to stick in one position and get into a game. He needs a run of games out wide which he just won’t get with us as there’s too much quality ahead of him now.
He looks nervous and to be fair you can’t blame him, there’s thousands of fans sat in the crowd who are just waiting For him to make a mistake to jump on his back, you can hear the groans as soon as the ball starts travelling towards him, if he’d cost 3mil or had come through our academy I doubt he’d get half as much stick and would be given more time, his price tag isn’t his fault though.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #968 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:08 PM »
He just didn't look interested at all, put no real effort in

I don't think that's true. I just don't think he has the footballing intelligence to make movements and receive the ball in good positions or run in behind at the right time etc. He often just reacts to what's happened and chases the ball but that lack of understanding means he is always a couple of seconds off the pace and always second best to the ball.

Wish the lad well but unfortunately his future is not at West Bromwich Albion FC.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #969 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:50 PM »
Dire yet again, i'd rather play one of the youth stirkers to be fair. He just looks completely uninterested.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #970 on: August 13, 2019, 11:53:10 PM »
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-slaven-bilic-made-west-16750565

Supportive from Slav but he doesn't sound convinced. Sounds like he will be well down the pecking order when all the new lads are up to speed.

Had the opportunity to come out and back him/tell the world he believes in him but didn't. No reason he should either. Bilic is no bull*hit and quite right too.

“It’s difficult for young players when they have big transfers and he needs to score a few goals and make it easier for himself.

“There are bigger names and more experienced players who are coping with those situations, and were are trying to help him with that.

“Sometimes you just need a run. All you can do is work hard and hopefully it will happen.”

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #971 on: August 14, 2019, 12:05:59 AM »
I am not sure how the notion has taken hold that Burke might be a Centre Forward but the evidence to date would suggest he isn't. It is difficult to see where we go from here. In the short term he will be quietly dropped from the matchday squad nobody will ask why nor will there be a clamour for his reinstatement.

Longer term I am not sure what we do with him but it looks increasingly likely the fee is a write off and at some point we buy off the contract just to move him on.

Just seen a report in the Mail that there is interest from unspecified Bundesliga clubs which seems unlikely but I would not stand in his way.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:27:58 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #972 on: August 14, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »
Does the League 1 & 2 window allow them loans from Championship clubs, if so I'd get him away from the club as soon as possible to get some game time and tactical awareness. He looks lost and uninterested.
The price tag on his shoulders isn't his fault, but whoever put £15m on his head should be the subject of a stewards enquiry.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #973 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »
it is hard to defend him but we never see his pace.
I would play him wide and play the ball into open space for him to chase and hopefully use well.
If he does not produce from that situation then I don,t know what to suggest.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #974 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »

And they’re 46 and 47 years old.  ;D

Everyone wants Burke to succeed, especially with such a large fee, but there comes a point that if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck etc. We can keep believing and hoping he has the potential to one day become a swan, but just believing and hoping won’t make it happen.

I fear the verdict is in.