Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283045 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #500 on: October 03, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
Sako in surely means Burke out?  Winger who can play up top.

I would have loved Burke to come good but think he needs to go elsewhere and make a name for himself (if he can).

I think one of Burke's problems is we don't know where he's best suited particularly in the system we use. I don't see him as a wing back, defensively he has no idea. I don't see him in the number ten role, I don't think he has the close control or the vision needed for that. His main asset is his pace. When both Nacer Chadli and Matt Phillips state in an interview that Burke is the fastest player they've ever played with you realise just how quick he must be. Given that you'd think he could make a striker and this for me is his best position. Saying that he's not a natural goalscorer, not the type to get on the end of crosses. He's not going to play ahead of Gayle but I'm a bit surprised to see Robson-Kanu used ahead of him. With Sako now arriving I don't see where Ollie is going to get any game time anytime soon.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #501 on: October 03, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
Burke fails to make the 18 again, despite Phillips and Sako not being there either.

Whatever we think of him, hars to see Edwards proving to be a better player than him.

Unless he is showing a really poor attitude behind the scenes, it is a queer decision. Need to line up a loan move for him now reafy for the start of January.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #502 on: October 04, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
Think you need to be the other side of thirty to get in team at the minute, I'm baffled that he can't even get in 18 maybe he should change his birth cert.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #503 on: October 04, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
Think you need to be the other side of thirty to get in team at the minute, I'm baffled that he can't even get in 18 maybe he should change his birth cert.

He played and scored for the U23's on Monday which would explain why he wasn't in the squad for yesterday's game.

I'm not sure he is disciplined enough to play RWB, but he maybe could come on in place of 1 of the front 2 rather than HRK but other than that I can't see where he fits into our current set up (although surely the U23's play the same formation?)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #504 on: October 04, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
Come January if the situation is still the same he really needs to be loaned out.

Either to hopefully get some experience so he can come back and have more of a chance at playing in our first team, or so we can at least get back most of what we paid for him. A club like ours cant afford £15m to be playing in the under 23's.

Personally I wish he was given some more game time here - it must be so hard to prove what you can do in 10 mins off the bench (which he isn't even getting now). There must be part of your brain that is desperate to make an impression so you try things that maybe you wouldn't if you had more time on the pitch in order to show what you can do - if it doesn't come off then it makes you look like a bad player.

That said maybe he genuinely isn't good enough - we just don't know at this moment in time.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #505 on: October 04, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
Watching Harvey Barnes should make it clear to the likes of Burke and Leko what they need to work on i.e. the end product is all important. I don't think they'll ever be as good as Barnes as he is like a cross between Bale (surging runs and strong shooting) and James Morrison (clever touches) (ok strange combination that).

It's hard to coach the awareness of players around you part but I hope that Graeme Jones is spending plenty of time with Burke, Leko and Edwards on assessing options as they get to the edge of the box. Burke took the right option for the U23's the other night anyway.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #506 on: October 04, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »
Come January if the situation is still the same he really needs to be loaned out.

Either to hopefully get some experience so he can come back and have more of a chance at playing in our first team, or so we can at least get back most of what we paid for him. A club like ours cant afford £15m to be playing in the under 23's.

Personally I wish he was given some more game time here - it must be so hard to prove what you can do in 10 mins off the bench (which he isn't even getting now). There must be part of your brain that is desperate to make an impression so you try things that maybe you wouldn't if you had more time on the pitch in order to show what you can do - if it doesn't come off then it makes you look like a bad player.

That said maybe he genuinely isn't good enough - we just don't know at this moment in time.

I think the reason he doesn't get into the squad as much as anything is based on what the coaches see day in day out in training. Either attitude, application or ability.
Three managers haven't put team into the side on a regular basis either.
Now I know we're all clamouring to see the kids given a chance, but the coaches see what they can do every day in training.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #507 on: October 04, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »
Agree with a lotnof what has been said in the last few posts.

Point remains though  - Burke, Leko, Field and Harper were not part of Moore's plans at the end of August and probably wont be until January. Atleast 2 of them should have gone on loan but instead we panicked and couldn't make a decision. We can't as a club afford to throw potential like that away. We need to prove to our players that we do have a plan for their development, else we will have more Tyler Roberts /Romaine Sawyers / Keemar Roofe situations.
Boing Boing

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #508 on: October 04, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Field is part of Moore's plans, although they obviously have some doubts about him playing CM, but he is on the bench and should get his chance with a few injuries.  I thought Harper might overtake him in the pecking order but that hasn't happened yet, maybe he will go back out at some point and will do if we can make a marquee midfield signing in Jan.  Edwards has taken the bench place ahead of Leko who was only kept as insurance due to the thin nature of the squad and Sako's arrival should see him now loaned out when possible. 

This is Burke's post and he is the conundrum......fatally overpriced purely on potential which is not his fault.  However, a succession of managers including TP, GM, AP and now Darren Moore have not considered him good enough even for the bench.  As a fan he seems to have everything you need; pace, strength, height, speed BUT maybe whatever it takes to make a top level professional? Oli just doesn't have it at the moment and may never (I'm guessing he is the same player now he was at 17??).

Playing Barnes shows that if you have got what it takes you will play.....but he sets a high bar.   Roberts was not ready for the top division, but I think could have been an integral part of this squad....a real shame that Leeds came sniffing.  Sawyers and Roofe?  Needed to continue their development in lower league first team football and have taken the old fashioned route back towards the top, but would either really flourish in the PL?? not sure.   Would you want to spend £5m + now on each?? not sure again.  It does again though illustrate how much we over payed for Oli.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #509 on: October 04, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »
Talking about loaning them out but there is a genuine question about what's best for them which is difficult for us to answer.

Our coaching staff will know what their weaknesses are and will hopefully be working to address those weaknesses and become the players we need and suited to our style. If they are with us, they have DM, GJ etc managing their development under our control. Loan them out and yes they'll get game time but they may just carry on the same bad habits. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: October 04, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
Is sitting on the bench for a few weeks (Sam Field) going to help make the move onto the pitch with 1st team easier than playing in U23's ? (Olly Burke)

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #511 on: October 04, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
With Burke I would be very surprised if there was any attitude problem. He seems to really want to get game time, even if it is with the under 23's for us and Scotland and any time I've seen him he comes across as very level headed for a 21 year old. He has the ability, speed, good shot with both feet, can dribble. Why he seems to be excluded is a mystery.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #512 on: October 04, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »
With Burke I would be very surprised if there was any attitude problem. He seems to really want to get game time, even if it is with the under 23's for us and Scotland and any time I've seen him he comes across as very level headed for a 21 year old. He has the ability, speed, good shot with both feet, can dribble. Why he seems to be excluded is a mystery.
Last time we saw anything like this was with Fatboy after his off field exploits, but he wasn’t (as far as I recall allowed to be around the kids either), so yes it’s a bit baffling
Can only be that he is not deemed good enough or he is a political pawn of some kind
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #513 on: October 04, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »
Agree, from what I've read and heard he is an intelligent and thoughtful lad, if anything too quiet.  He is wasting his career here, needs to be loaned out like so many of our other players should have been in August while we clogged the squad up with freebies.
"This crack is really moreish."

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #514 on: October 04, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »

Go back to page 17 on this thread and there is a link posted on there to a Daily Record article from the 3rd June this year titled 'The Oliver Burke Mystery'. I think that says it all about him to be fair and that there is more than an hint of an attitude problem with this young man. 'Too much too soon' is the general theme. I'll post the link again to save people going back through the pages.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oliver-burke-mystery-15m-stars-12637699

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #515 on: October 05, 2018, 04:04:40 AM »
Go back to page 17 on this thread and there is a link posted on there to a Daily Record article from the 3rd June this year titled 'The Oliver Burke Mystery'. I think that says it all about him to be fair and that there is more than an hint of an attitude problem with this young man. 'Too much too soon' is the general theme. I'll post the link again to save people going back through the pages.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oliver-burke-mystery-15m-stars-12637699

Thanks for that link, it basically confirms what I wrote above.

We can only hope he turns it around and proves why he is the most expensive Scottish player to date.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #516 on: October 05, 2018, 06:46:22 AM »
Thanks for that link, it basically confirms what I wrote above.

We can only hope he turns it around and proves why he is the most expensive Scottish player to date.

because some daft twerp in our recruitment department got one too many noughts on the cheque that's why.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #517 on: October 05, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Darren Moore's words about Burke this week...."He's a wonderful player, a good man, we're working hard together".

I don't think we should label him as having some attitude problem on the strength of a newspaper article. There are different personalities and if he's more of a loner or whatever than others then it's not a hanging offence.

Moore and Jones have only been together for 3 months at most and I suspect that a lot of coaching work is being done with the likes of Burke, Leko, Edwards and other young players which is why not many have gone out on loan.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #518 on: October 05, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
I spend more minutes reading about this bloke on here than he's had on the pitch since we signed him! Proving to be a real enigma.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #519 on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »
Darren Moore's words about Burke this week...."He's a wonderful player, a good man, we're working hard together".

I don't think we should label him as having some attitude problem on the strength of a newspaper article. There are different personalities and if he's more of a loner or whatever than others then it's not a hanging offence.

Moore and Jones have only been together for 3 months at most and I suspect that a lot of coaching work is being done with the likes of Burke, Leko, Edwards and other young players which is why not many have gone out on loan.

Didn't Tone utter the same sort of dialogue about the fat one?
Managers don't always tell it exactly as it is.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #520 on: October 05, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
Didn't Tone utter the same sort of dialogue about the fat one?
Managers don't always tell it exactly as it is.

Exactly, particularly as we are more than likely going to be looking to recoup a chunk of the £15 million we have wasted and we aren't going to be in the business of scaring off potential buyers. Darren Moore has already this season 'talked up' below par performances and I think this statement in praising and talking up Burke is another example of his type of man-management.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #521 on: October 05, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »
Exactly, particularly as we are more than likely going to be looking to recoup a chunk of the £15 million we have wasted and we aren't going to be in the business of scaring off potential buyers. Darren Moore has already this season 'talked up' below par performances and I think this statement in praising and talking up Burke is another example of his type of man-management.
It was a fee 'rising to £15m' according to Matt Wilson so we are probably talking more like £10m the way it stands. Correct DM is hardly likely to say 'he's rubbish' and personally I think he'll prove he's not rubbish.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #522 on: October 05, 2018, 08:46:48 PM »
It was a fee 'rising to £15m' according to Matt Wilson so we are probably talking more like £10m the way it stands. Correct DM is hardly likely to say 'he's rubbish' and personally I think he'll prove he's not rubbish.
I try to cling onto that undisclosed fee being a down payment of £6m rising to £15m when he wins the fifa player of the year.

Imo we were not in a position to gamble with him when we did when we had a forward line that was terrible.

I like us to have 4 strikers whereas we had one striker and rondon when we bought Burke.

Hrk is winger turned false forward.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #523 on: October 05, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
I think there is a real player in there, he could very easily be our very own Harvey Barnes if he can get some consistency

He has bags of pace and is strong, i think he lacks technically i.e. understanding of the game and application of that. He has skill but I see a James Milner style player in him eventually

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #524 on: October 05, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
I think there is a real player in there, he could very easily be our very own Harvey Barnes if he can get some consistency

He has bags of pace and is strong, i think he lacks technically i.e. understanding of the game and application of that. He has skill but I see a James Milner style player in him eventually

I see a Dale Jennings kind of player unfortunately.