Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284707 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
or he could just be the next El Ghannsy, lets just wait and see.
All we can say is he has potential. He can play anywhere across the front 3, has been playing through the middle for Scotland U21s. He needs time to adjust to this level as he hardly played for RB Leipzig and regardless of what he did at Forest it's not the same level.

I'd like to see him given a decent run in the team or get more time off the bench than the 10mins or so he has been getting.
needs games i agree

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
What’s he done to not get a start over the Christmas break? Phillips injured in warm up and a tired Livermore gets into the team a head of him. Am I missing something?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Played well tonight. Up top supporting Rondon and looked very lively.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
Not up to , not yet.
Too raw by half.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »

I don't think he played that well. He runs fast sure and if we just to launch long balls that is a good skill. Didn't show much technically though.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »
Think we can only use him on a front two at the moment where he has more freedom - not disciplined enough for the wing.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »
For goodness sake, he's 20. He has promise, he has potential, we should be encouraging him, he is raw but he has a lot of speed and talent. Enjoy watching him develop.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »
I feel really sorry for him, you can see from his face he is desperate to do well...but in as sub for 5 mins...then out for 3 matches, then in as sub again despite us being desperate for pace/attacking intent...
Quite clearly he will be as nervous as hell and constantly in fear of being dropped, this is not how you develop a footballer
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2018, 11:45:16 PM »
At £15million he wouldnt have been a bad signing had we signed a few other first teamers who could help aid his development.

As it happens, we didn't, and we're now relying on a £15million investment who has shown he isn't good enough so far. That money, a significant portion of our budget should have been used elsewhere.

And quite frankly, when has this club ever given a toss about aiding the development of youngsters??

Just another to add to a long list of errors in the transfer market

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2018, 11:59:53 PM »
For goodness sake, he's 20. He has promise, he has potential, we should be encouraging him, he is raw but he has a lot of speed and talent. Enjoy watching him develop.

sounds like 2-year-older Jonathan Leko

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
doesn't go anywhere near a tackle, prances around, has speed but not seeing a great deal of skill, creativity or good decision making

let's hope he improves quickly

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #311 on: January 03, 2018, 07:11:45 AM »
I don't want to be too critical of a young player that has barely kicked a ball for us and last night was lost not solely because of what Olly did there were 10 other players on the pitch all of whom are more experienced. At the moment he looks raw and the decision making isn't there given time and the right coaching that can come.

Where I will be critical is the recruitment process that bought him to the club. First off while I know £15m isn't what it used to be it is still a big slice of our budget and for the money we have to have first team ready player (lots of players who would have improved us moved for less last summer)

Secondly he brings nothing to the squad that wasn't there in the shape of Matt Phillips nor does he seem very much better or much further along his development path than Leko. I have no problem with adding depth to the squad but when there are some very obvious deficiencies that needed to be addressed I'm not for overstocking an area where we have an established first choice and some cover.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #312 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:35 AM »
I think last night answered why he isn't starting. He's not premiership standard yet.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #313 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
At £15million he wouldnt have been a bad signing had we signed a few other first teamers who could help aid his development.

As it happens, we didn't, and we're now relying on a £15million investment who has shown he isn't good enough so far. That money, a significant portion of our budget should have been used elsewhere.

And quite frankly, when has this club ever given a toss about aiding the development of youngsters??

Just another to add to a long list of errors in the transfer market

Out of interest, like?

With regards to the club not giving a toss about aiding the development of youngsters, clearly you need to go back 15 years and see what we had. You'll soon retract that statement.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #314 on: January 03, 2018, 08:53:16 AM »
He will be our star man next season on the league below
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #315 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
Agree Devon, forward thinking signing.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #316 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
He had a spell at Forest, and speaking a few Forest fans they really rated him.  Interestingly I have been at all the games he has played at so far and he does look like he has something exciting but looks really raw.  this might be lack of game time, but only time will tell.  I do not think he will be a major player this season though.  Then again, I do not think we are string enough at the moment to stop up.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #317 on: January 03, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
I've seen reports in the German media, that Leipzig let him go as, despite his speed,  he didn't fit in with the tactics ("pressing" and "combination football") they were trying to play.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #318 on: January 03, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
I've seen reports in the German media, that Leipzig let him go as, despite his speed,  he didn't fit in with the tactics ("pressing" and "combination football") they were trying to play.

I saw the same when he came to us. They basically said his footballing brain was lacking

He/him

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #319 on: January 03, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
I'm not sure about what he can offer and haven't been his biggest cheerleader but I was impressed with him last night. He made a great athletic run which he almost scored from (very good last ditch defending to be fair). Was then close to scoring from a half-volley in the box. He also ran off the shoulder of Rondon well and had one very nicely executed switch of play. Considering he only had 20 minutes that was a lot more than I expected. He is raw but played high up the pitch he does offer us that raw pace that the rest of the team lacks. Need to stick with him. I'd start him against Exeter alongside Rondon and take it from there.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #320 on: January 03, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
He's alright, still a bit raw but not what you want in a relegation battle.

His miss last night was down to really poor attacking.  He'd got in front and across his man, just needed to get his shot away but he took too long.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #321 on: January 03, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
He showed his pace last night but he is still raw. Also it seems that he doesn't have enough confidence therefore he wasted a great 1 on 1 chance.
He can be used as an impact sub only at this moment.
The coaching staff have to work hard on training ground to enhance his growth.
The PRIDE of midlands

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #322 on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
He showed his pace last night but he is still raw. Also it seems that he doesn't have enough confidence therefore he wasted a great 1 on 1 chance.
He can be used as an impact sub only at this moment.
The coaching staff have to work hard on training ground to enhance his growth.

He needs time on the pitch playing in actual football matches to settle in, not the training ground. It was his pace and movement which got him in 1 on 1 last night in the first place and it was a great recovery challenge from the West Ham defender after Burke did the right thing to go across him but then took just the one touch too many. Hardly unexpected considering he's not been playing and isn't up to speed with the match tempo.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #323 on: January 03, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »
The kid needs a run, not 20 minutes every 7 matches

This kid is a special talent , play him and develop him we will get double our money inside of two years
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #324 on: January 03, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
I can't be the only one who sees a kid who is often in positions to make a difference. Forget him out of the wing, play him up front with Rondon and keep him as the lone man forward when we're defending, then run him at defenses on the counter.