Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 362174 times)

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #875 on: December 30, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
I would be surprised if it is a 2 horse race as we normally pull a name out the hat. I would think Chris Hughton and Dave Jones will be in the frame.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #876 on: December 30, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
Wouldn't really pencil the blame on Terry Burton.

The likes of Mowbray, Di Matteo, Hodgson, Clarke & Mel were all here before him. There are way too many polar opposites in that list.

From now on though since the appointment of Irvine (I'm not sure that was predominantly Peace) we have to adopt a style of playing and it seems we'll be going for the organised, conservative approach of Pulis.

I'm not citing Terry Burton per ce Liam, perhaps I should have said DoF.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

walter baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #877 on: December 30, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »
will probably end up with atkins or mcdermott

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #878 on: December 30, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
I'm not citing Terry Burton per ce Liam, perhaps I should have said DoF.

I'm with you - and yes - the vision should come from those in that position.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #879 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Can I offer a valuable piece of advice to anyone thinking of having a bet on the next West Brom Manager/Head Coach - DON'T! As I have found to my cost in the past the bookies' favourite never gets the job.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #880 on: December 30, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
Dave Jones  :P :D
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #881 on: December 30, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
Chris Hughton who would have taken Norwich down had he not been sacked before he got the opportunity?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #882 on: December 30, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
Would like Pulis.

However I'd be very surprised if it didn't end up being Chris H. Cheaper option, some Prem experience, has worked under a DoF before at Newcastle.

Would be another poor appointment though imo.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #883 on: December 30, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
I would be surprised if it is a 2 horse race as we normally pull a name out the hat. I would think Chris Hughton and Dave Jones will be in the frame.
Peace would not be naiive enough to follow Irvine with Jones surely  :o
Has to be someone the fans can get behind after the horrible last 5 months.I have not known an atmosphere like it either in the ground or out, since Gould.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #884 on: December 30, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
I'd like Pulis like I'd like cataracts.  History is clearly important to some of our support, check the anything Stoke thread.  ;) (Short memories or hypocrisy?)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #885 on: December 30, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
I'd like Pulis like I'd like cataracts.  History is clearly important to some of our support, check the anything Stoke thread.  ;) (Short memories or hypocrisy?)

I have a very short memory, but not short enough to forget the habitual defeats under Irvine.
Baggie in Southampton

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #886 on: December 30, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »

Stop the press: I agree with you pal!

Pulis' brand of "football" is abhorrent to me. In the thread you speak of, I stated that I'd rather be relegated than resort to the tactics that Pulis' Stoke team employed on a regular basis. Just imagine his first training session...

"Hi lads, I'm Tony. Whose got the longest throw then?"
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #887 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
I'd like Tony Pulis to get the job! tbf there is not a lot of decent alternatives available!
I remember watching some dross before Megson. When he came in I remember a few games where the team got a standing ovation after a somewhat fortuitous 1-0 win, where the players went off covered in mud after actually putting in a workmanlike performance.
I think Pulis similarly is exactly what we need to sort out some of these namby pambys & get us back on the right road
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #888 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
I have a very short memory, but not short enough to forget the habitual defeats under Irvine.
It would appear that you have forgotten the habitual defeats under Mel and Clarke too. The problem stems back further than Irvine and will continue under the new coach/manager until we bring in someone to score more goals than we concede. For me, possibly the only thing worse than bringing in Tony Pulis would be bringing in Tony Pulis and appointing Lee Hendre as his deputy.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #889 on: December 30, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

Not a fan of Pulis but he is the strong character this club needs at the moment. Yes I do remember the defeats to Stoke and the poor football they played. We're at a stage where we have to forget pretty football and get some effective football then try and start again.

Why does it have to be hypocrisy ? things change, times changes.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #890 on: December 30, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »
It would appear that you have forgotten the habitual defeats under Mel and Clarke too. The problem stems back further than Irvine and will continue under the new coach/manager until we bring in someone to score more goals than we concede. For me, possibly the only thing worse than bringing in Tony Pulis would be bringing in Tony Pulis and appointing Lee Hendre as his deputy.

Crystal Palace scored 33 goals last season yet finished 11th. Only 1 more goal than Cardiff who finished bottom. Pulis would strengthen us defensively. I agree we could do with another decent striker but the right manager should keep the current squad up easily. Things can't get any worse.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #891 on: December 30, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »
Chris Hughton who would have taken Norwich down had he not been sacked before he got the opportunity?
I don't want Hughton but I am suggesting they have probably got a list of out of work managers rather than just Pulis and Sherwood. A quick appointment is expected which points to an out of work manager based in this country.

mb1

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #892 on: December 30, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »
For me, the good ship Albion has been listing since Clarke's 8th place finish, and perhaps Christmas when results tailed off.

Today we start from a higher perch and finances are in good shape, but the parallels from when Gary took over from Little are so obvious that they stare you in face. Pulis (like Gary) will breathe new life and passion, shake people up and put his stamp on proceedings.

I hope we get this concluded.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #893 on: December 30, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »

Yes but you haven't been banging on about Mel or Clarke have you only Irvine....

Pulls would break the clique, bring a more direct approach and going on history keep us in the Prem.

Perhaps you did have cataracts and thats why you couldn't see the obvious faults with Irvine

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #894 on: December 30, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
We would probably, but not certainly win more points under Pulis. He built his stoke team and his palace team was a better fit for his tactics than we are. The idea he'd definitely keep us up is questionable. Without backing in January to get his specific types of player, we would struggle under him. We lack genuine wingers aside from varela which are crucial to his game plan, our midfield lacks physicality, none of our strikers suit his John Walters style favourite, our team in general lacks the overall height and strength associated with his teams.

There are plenty of peoples complaints about irvine that would be true about Pulis. Full backs like wisdom would certainly be preferredover Gamboa, indeed he often uses 4 centre backs in defence. Someone weak and small like blanco would not be used. There would still be a preference for British players. Workhorses would still be favoured over flair.

Pulis probably offers the best chance of staying up of any manager available to us, that's a perfectly legitimate reason to want him. But there's an awful lot of denial and head burying over what survival would mean. Those who complained that Irvine's football wasnt worth it even if we stayed up then say they want pulis are deluding themselves and will no doubt be complaining again inside 6 months. His palace side like Irvine sides still relied on set pieces and struggled when a goal behind.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #895 on: December 30, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »
Not a fan of Pulis but he is the strong character this club needs at the moment. Yes I do remember the defeats to Stoke and the poor football they played. We're at a stage where we have to forget pretty football and get some effective football then try and start again.

Why does it have to be hypocrisy ? things change, times changes.

Irvine was criticised for "negative football" before anybody kicked a ball at the Albion, is that not hypocritical?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #896 on: December 30, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
We would probably, but not certainly win more points under Pulis. He built his stoke team and his palace team was a better fit for his tactics than we are. The idea he'd definitely keep us up is questionable. Without backing in January to get his specific types of player, we would struggle under him. We lack genuine wingers aside from varela which are crucial to his game plan, our midfield lacks physicality, none of our strikers suit his John Walters style favourite, our team in general lacks the overall height and strength associated with his teams.

There are plenty of peoples complaints about irvine that would be true about Pulis. Full backs like wisdom would certainly be preferredover Gamboa, indeed he often uses 4 centre backs in defence. Someone weak and small like blanco would not be used. There would still be a preference for British players. Workhorses would still be favoured over flair.

Pulis probably offers the best chance of staying up of any manager available to us, that's a perfectly legitimate reason to want him. But there's an awful lot of denial and head burying over what survival would mean. Those who complained that Irvine's football wasnt worth it even if we stayed up then say they want pulis are deluding themselves and will no doubt be complaining again inside 6 months. His palace side like Irvine sides still relied on set pieces and struggled when a goal behind.

Agree with all of this.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #897 on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »
Negative football is passing it backwards or sideways or not attacking.

Setting up a team with the sole idea of a draw is negative.

Pulis will bring a more direct approach yes but that for me is a good thing after what we have witnessed this last 7 months.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #898 on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
Irvine was criticised for "negative football" before anybody kicked a ball at the Albion, is that not hypocritical?

Come on now, we are not allowed to mention Irvine, that wicked evil man who destroyed our football club
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #899 on: December 30, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »

Maybe, maybe not. We need something different at this stage, strong character needed to sort out issues. Is Pulis the right man ? no idea but he has something which others have lacked - Premier League experience as a number 1

Do I want Pulis personally ? not sure.