Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 362173 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #750 on: December 30, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »
Whoever takes the poison chalice, I hope will give us a double spearhead in Berahino and Varela.
Two speedy players who can unlock a lot of defences.
I could see Pulis using this system.
He also favours a solid back four with no "meandering" up field......Their job is defence.

The bit in bold, I think thatll mean Wisdom plays more than Gamboa.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #751 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
The bit in bold, I think thatll mean Wisdom plays more than Gamboa.
Nooooooooooooo

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #752 on: December 30, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Tony Pullis at WBA?? Haha that's the funniest thing I've heard for years...no chance.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #753 on: December 30, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
Tony Pullis at WBA?? Haha that's the funniest thing I've heard for years...no chance.

Didn't people say the same about Hodgson?

I would say it's unlikely but there is more than 'no chance' that Pulis could end up at the Albion. In fact i'd say there was a good chance however suspect Sherwood is the more likely at this stage.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #754 on: December 30, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »

Must say. I think the same thing though talks are apparently taking place. Just can't see how he could possibly work within our system. We would need to sack about 6 people to accommodate him and just can't see JP doing that

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #755 on: December 30, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »

The fact hes talking to us, knowing the clubs current structure, shows hes interested in the job and wants to hear what Peace has to offer.

wba_jd26

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #756 on: December 30, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
Don't want pulis at the club. My choice would be Derek McInnes. Has done really well at both st Johnstone and Aberdeen and only struggled at Bristol rovers under really difficult circumstances. He's a favourite with the fans and would immediately have the fans on side

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #757 on: December 30, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
If Peace believes that doing without the services of some of our support coaching staff or all of them to remain in the Premiership he will be ruthless. If it means changing the club structure he will do it.

Have no doubt this is a financial decision he will not shirk  ;)

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #758 on: December 30, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Don't want pulis at the club. My choice would be Derek McInnes. Has done really well at both st Johnstone and Aberdeen and only struggled at Bristol rovers under really difficult circumstances. He's a favourite with the fans and would immediately have the fans on side

Not the time for a gamble imo. I think Sherwood and McInnes would both be considered a gamble at this stage.

I have no doubt however that McInnes will be manager one day at the Albion, should he continue to improve.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #759 on: December 30, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »

We need a manager who knows how to stay up in the premier league.
Neil Lennon had ridiculous amounts of success in Scotland but I wouldnt want him anywhere near my club.

If McInnes had never played for WBA, his name wouldnt have been mentioned once.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #760 on: December 30, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »
It's got to be Sherwood. I do not want West Bromwich Albion to be viewed as a team playing 'hoofball', which unfortunately is the style of football that Pulis relies on. It is not in line with our reputation and tradition as a footballing team. Of course results are important but you can also get results playing with attacking flair, passing through the middle and proper wingmen. There are enough examples of successful teams that play that way.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #761 on: December 30, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
I think it's going to be Sherwood. Impressed in the summer, works within the structure but will still bring in his own men which will appease the fans.

I know there's an apparent willingness from Peace to change the structure, but I'm not sure he would be willing to change it as much as Pulis would demand. And of course, Pulis is in position where he doesn't really have to make a compromise as I'm sure that Hull and Leicester will be looking for a new manager soon, and they are clubs where a compromise wouldn't have to be reached regarding transfers.

frankieb

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #762 on: December 30, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
Can't believe all those who have complained about the boring, dour football under Irvine now want Pullis!

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #763 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
If theres going to be a manager in by saturday then it seems to be a straight choice between pulis and sherwood. Would anyone take laudrup?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #764 on: December 30, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
Can't believe all those who have complained about the boring, dour football under Irvine now want Pullis!

At home palace played some good football but away from home it was dyer and the same with stoke

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #765 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
As I understand, pulis should be in by Friday. Talks with his representatives went well and pulis himself is expected in anytime soon. Could be announced on day of west ham game . He will get a day in transfers, no one will be signed without his permission and he will be able to put names into the hat. 18 month deal but will be reviewed this summer.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #766 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
just waiting the talks break down yellow bar on sky sports....

we'll end up with a shock appointment,if we do not sort it in the next 24 hours...

would prefer pulis due to experience - this year, we need to stay up, don't care about the style, just keep us up to remodel and reinvent for next year.

system needs to change and it will change under pulis.

sherwood concerns me due to his outspoken style  - would make it interesting but i would be concerned...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #767 on: December 30, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
From Sporting Life...

12:03
Alan Pardew's arrival at Crystal Palace has yet to be confirmed but the next Newcastle manager market is also moving. The battle at the top of the odds is between Hull boss Steve Bruce and former Tottenham chief Tim Sherwood. Bruce is 4/1 with bwin to arrive at the Magpies and Sherwood is 9/2 with Betfred. Tony Pulis can be backed at 8/1 with BetVictor and Paddy Power.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #768 on: December 30, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
As I understand, pulis should be in by Friday. Talks with his representatives went well and pulis himself is expected in anytime soon. Could be announced on day of west ham game . He will get a day in transfers, no one will be signed without his permission and he will be able to put names into the hat. 18 month deal but will be reviewed this summer.

pulis will get a day to make transfers.  knew peace had a crafty streak - give him  a say for one day only...

seriously, i hope you are right. pulis going to Leicester or Hull would keep them up, as someone elseabove pointed out. At the moment, they look both in serious trouble.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:23:52 PM by OldburyWBA »
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #769 on: December 30, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
I said yesterday that Bruce was being rumoured for Newcastle. Which will open the door at Hull.

Need to act quickly and I think that is why Irvine went yesterday.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #770 on: December 30, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
Nigel Adkins 40/1. I'll have a bit of that.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #771 on: December 30, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
Im tempted to put a big chunk of money on Pulis being named manager.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #772 on: December 30, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »
It has to be Pulis really, last seasons manager of the year.
the regime don't like it man

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #773 on: December 30, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »
News on Pulis:

"West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace's current approach sees technical director Terry Burton work with sporting director Richard Garlick to recruit players.

Former Stoke boss Pulis is prepared to work alongside Burton and Garlick, but wants the final say on whether to sign players."

To me that doesn't seem like a huge block for Peace - it still allows the structure to work. It's absolutely got to be Pulis for me, Palace played some decent stuff last season and he absolutely revitalised that team. I don't care how we win right now, Pulis has a knack of getting results from nowhere and that's exactly what we need. The thrill of winning is better than watching the nice football of the Mowbray era but getting relegated. Pulis was manager of the year last season and the man deserves some credit - he'll get us grinding out results over mid table teams.

I think their preference is on Pulis but they just have to move some pieces around to accommodate that - if he walks away then they will call on Sherwood knowing he's already had an interview previously and this time accepting his own staff are coming with him.

Either way this goes I firmly believe we'll be in a far stronger position than we were 24 hours ago.

Albionsteve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #774 on: December 30, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »

Actually he was Manager of Bristol City and their fans wouldn't have him near another football club unless it was Bristol Rovers. Played dire football AND lost. Not a good combination.  As someone else has said, if he wasn't an ex-player, he wouldn't be mentioned.  Great Captain at the time, but certainly not the Proven top-flight Manager we currently need.

A couple of weeks ago Pulis was on Radio 5 Live discussing the role of football managers.  He said that he would have a problem working under someone else whilst taking the blame for everything.  However he also said that he always had worked with someone who was essentially a Technical Director, albeit without that title, but that it had to be someone he trusted implicitly.

I know the club have said they will not change the structure, but last night people close to the club were saying that Kelly, Downing and possible Kiely were likely to go as well. Is it possible that Pulis could come in to the current structure but bring new trusted colleagues in to those roles? It's a bit of a fudge but would allow him to join and Peace's lauded, continental system to remain.

Peace has always said that in business if one Manager is failing you only get rid of him, not the whole management team, which is true. But if the whole management team are failing, for 2 years now, surely they all need swapping out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:33:53 PM by Albionsteve »
There's no I in Team, but there is a ME if you look hard enough!