Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 363729 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #475 on: December 29, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
Outrageous. Nothing like each other apart from the fact that they were both strong characters, as is McInnes, which is one of the things we sorely need.

Both strong characters.  Both wear their hearts on their sleeves.  Both very passionate.  Both likely to have a fractious relationship with their chairman.

(And both have ginger hair.  And weren't they both midfielders at one stage for Norwich?)  ;D

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #476 on: December 29, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
There are only two stand-out candidates immediately available, in my view - Sherwood and Pulis. Whether either would want the job, however, is another matter. It appears that Palace are prepared to pay upwards of £2m in compensation to get Pardew, but I can't for the life of me seeing JP stump up big cash to get the right person to steer us clear of danger. Jol could be another candidate for our hot seat but I think he may well be close to his 'sell by' date. I would be happy with either Sherwood or Pulis, but we need to act quickly before a difficult situation becomes an impossible one.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #477 on: December 29, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
Tim Sherwood would be a disaster for the Albion.  His character and personality won't work with the current set up.

Isn't that the idea?! That the set up is or should be flipped on its head?! And the players need a shake up and a clean slate. Personally I think Sherwood's attitude is what this lot need.

He'd be behind Jol & Pulis for me though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
Ridiculous comment. Every new appointment is an experiment to some extent. I think that McInnes would be a relatively risk free appointment compared to some of the options touted on here. He would also be welcomed by most fans and would be respected by the players. I can't think of anyone feasable who wouldn't have some degree of risk attached but he ticks a lot of boxes for me. Out of interest, who would you have instead?

He has not managed at a level close to the English Premiership.  Sorry, but Scotland does not count.  This is not a job for a novice at this level.

As I said, if McInnes wasn't a former Baggies hero then he wouldn't be on anybody's list.  This is no time for sentimental appointments.

Who would I have?  Out of who is available Jol (but not because of his historical connection!), Pulis.   Out of who would have to be bought out of contract - McLaren, Hoddle, Poyet.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
I've seen quite a few people want jol on here previously and have to ask why? Yes he used to play for us by that was years ago football and the club have moved on alot since that time.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
Isn't that the idea?! That the set up is or should be flipped on its head?! And the players need a shake up and a clean slate. Personally I think Sherwood's attitude is what this lot need.

He'd be behind Jol & Pulis for me though.

I think Sherwood would shake up the team and could be a success, but I'm sure it would end in tears very quickly between him and Peace.  That might even happen with Pulis as well.

McLaren and Jol are the safer bets if we take a 3-year view, with Pulis a higher risk but with a proven track record of keeping a troubled side up.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
I've seen quite a few people want jol on here previously and have to ask why? Yes he used to play for us by that was years ago football and the club have moved on alot since that time.

Just look at his record. He lost his last 7 games at Fulham at went awry there but his record is exemplory and I think he's at the top end of what we can get. It has absolutely nothing to do with him ever playing here I don't think I was even alive and you never hear fans speaking fondly of him in the same way as say Regis etc. nothing to do with sentimentality.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »

It's his track record with Spurs and Fulham (one bad patch over a fairly lengthy spell) plus his tough attitude which attracts me.  The fact that he is a former player and knows the club (and was popular) is merely a bonus, nothing more. As you say, the club has changed immeasurably since then.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #483 on: December 29, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »
Well it looks like pardew to palace, i think Pulis will go to toon and we have left it too late to get the bloke most suited to keeping us up.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #484 on: December 29, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
He has not managed at a level close to the English Premiership.  Sorry, but Scotland does not count.  This is not a job for a novice at this level.

As I said, if McInnes wasn't a former Baggies hero then he wouldn't be on anybody's list.  This is no time for sentimental appointments.

Who would I have?  Out of who is available Jol (but not because of his historical connection!), Pulis.   Out of who would have to be bought out of contract - McLaren, Hoddle, Poyet.

Jol looked a broken man when he left Fulham, and I'm far from convinced that he is not still broken
Pulis is utterly unrealistic - you might as well say Mourinho as there's the same amount of chance he would come to us.
McLaren is utterly unrealistic - why would he come to us when he is enjoying life at Derby?
Poyet, hardly a great success at premiership level, was he?
Hoddle, hahahahaha, is a total oddball and hasn't managed for years. Why not?

Can't see that any of these is less of a risk than McInnes, who at least is a currently successful manager/coach with a pretty good cv - got St Johnstone promoted and kept them in the Scottish prem, took over Bristol City when they were rock bottom and saved them from relegation, and currently 2nd with Aberdeen. Ok he had one blip at the end of his Bristol City stint (which manager hasn't had such a blip?), but otherwise, what's not to like?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:38:47 PM by Quakes Fan »

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #485 on: December 29, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »
I would get jol in yes had a bad time at Fulham but not with spurs few of us agreed at the stoke game , got the balls and will take no rubbish of the in game we seem to have at west brom , get Irvine coaching in the back ground .

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »

Jol certainly needed a break after Fulham.  Its a fair question to ask whether he has recovered from that.

Pulis - well there are certainly rumours that he is interested.  Time will tell.

McLaren - depends on how desperate he is to manage in the Premiership.  Derby might not make it past the play-offs.

Poyet - has done ok at Sunderland in my view and prior to that had done very well at Brighton.  Has a big future  in front of him but clearly would prefer to be a manager rather than a head coach. 

Hoddle - eccentric yes but was England's best manager for years and lost the job for non-footballing reasons.  Mad to rule him out.

McInnes - St Johnstone up from the second Scottish tier (wow), sacked from Bristol City and doing well at Aberdeen in a weak Scottish PL with no Rangers.  Sorry -the main difference between him and Irvine is charisma and leadership. Oh, and he's an ex-Baggie, which is irrelevant. 

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2014, 06:39:52 PM »
Well it looks like pardew to palace, i think Pulis will go to toon and we have left it too late to get the bloke most suited to keeping us up.

Surely they won't have Pulis?! I don't think Newcastle looking for a manager effects us we're in different financial leagues

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »

Not sure.  From their current position of strength I think Newcastle might get Klopp. Can't see them going for Pulis. 

Will be an interesting test of Ashley's intentions as he's clearly got an agenda for Rangers

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #489 on: December 29, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Not sure.  From their current position of strength I think Newcastle might get Klopp. Can't see them going for Pulis. 

Will be an interesting test of Ashley's intentions as he's clearly got an agenda for Rangers

3/1 with bookies

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #490 on: December 29, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »
3/1 with bookies

Mind you, if Klopp was available I could see Liverpool firing Rodgers - maybe he could "do a Roy" and rebuild his career here!

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #491 on: December 29, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
Mind you, if Klopp was available I could see Liverpool firing Rodgers - maybe he could "do a Roy" and rebuild his career here!

I would take Rodgers

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #492 on: December 29, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »

I think Newcastle will want somebody quite cheap - Ashley isn't one for spending money as he proved in Pardew's contract which was highly incentive based. His agenda for Rangers is merely for the promotion of Sports Direct - as is his interest in Newcastle.

Not a chance of them getting Klopp who will be Liverpool/Arsenal bound in the future - they will probably be looking at the likes of Pulis but like us, he won't get a massive budget at Newcastle either.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #493 on: December 29, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
I think Newcastle will want somebody quite cheap - Ashley isn't one for spending money as he proved in Pardew's contract which was highly incentive based. His agenda for Rangers is merely for the promotion of Sports Direct - as is his interest in Newcastle.

Not a chance of them getting Klopp who will be Liverpool/Arsenal bound in the future - they will probably be looking at the likes of Pulis but like us, he won't get a massive budget at Newcastle either.

McCoist could be the cheap answer for Newcastle - Ashley could strike a deal re his settlement from Rangers!

Bruce might be tempted to St James Park....

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #494 on: December 29, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »
Pulis 8/11 just saying!!
Gera, Gera, Gera

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #495 on: December 29, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
Pulis 8/11 just saying!!

You lumped on to bring the price down  :D
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: December 29, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
You lumped on to bring the price down  :D

A few have lumped on mate.
Gera, Gera, Gera

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
McCoist could be the cheap answer for Newcastle - Ashley could strike a deal re his settlement from Rangers!

Bruce might be tempted to St James Park....

McCoist is a one club man who won't be a success anywhere else

I would think that Steve Bruce would feel he had won the lottery if he got the Newcastle gig.......might be tempted doesn't even begin to describe the possibility.

Anyway, back to topic, wouldn't want either of them near the Albion.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: December 29, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
McCoist is a one club man who won't be a success anywhere else

I would think that Steve Bruce would feel he had won the lottery if he got the Newcastle gig.......might be tempted doesn't even begin to describe the possibility.

Anyway, back to topic, wouldn't want either of them near the Albion.

Agree 100%!

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #499 on: December 29, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
A few have lumped on mate.

Bit surprised, you're not normally this specific, always leave us wanting more  ;) seems its almost a done deal then eh? 
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!