Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 364299 times)

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
We can see the difference Gary Rowett has made at Blues.
He had ties there and we should probably not pursue him but a young up and coming manager would be my choice like when we appointed Ron Atkinson who was manager of Cambridge at the time.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »
Ally McCoist? Would only be an interesting choice if part of an experiment to see just how bad the manager has to be before we get relegated.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest Terry Connor at this rate

Anyone think Mick McCarthy would be an upgrade on irvine?  ::)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
We can see the difference Gary Rowett has made at Blues.
He had ties there and we should probably not pursue him but a young up and coming manager would be my choice like when we appointed Ron Atkinson who was manager of Cambridge at the time.

Aye, please not another recycled failed dunderhead dinosaur.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
Irvine's football is like bringing a pennyfarthing to a bicycle race.   :(

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Aye, please not another recycled failed dunderhead dinosaur.
Agreed. The number of people suggesting Hoddle is worrying for that reason.

valleybaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
the only thing worrying me is will peace actually get rid of irvine. there'll be a lot of egg on his face after all the promises he made in the summer about the albion being run better and we'd appointed the best head coach to take us forward.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
I just hope we have someone lined up if he gets rid this weekend

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »
I hear Martinez is getting booed at Everton
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2014, 03:23:08 PM »
What is making me feel worse than I thought  was possible about all this mess is the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that when not if Irvine goes the gruesome twosome will undoubtably be put in charge..... No surer thing my friends.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »
Anyone think Mick McCarthy would be an upgrade on irvine?  ::)

Even Michael McIntyre would be an improvement on Alan Irvine!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Ally McCoist could soon be available if reports from Scotland are to be believed. Would be an interesting choice. After all, JP seems to favour Scottish managers.

He is a ******* horrific manager. I cannot explain to you how bad his sides are.

He hasn't won the promotions in the Scottish leagues - he has brought them by signing Scottish premiership players to beat the part timers in the lower divisions.

If any of you are complaining about the football being boring now then you really don't want to see his 'style' (if you can call it that) that McCoist' Rangers side play. It is mind numbingly boring, there is no organisation, he plays his favourities continuously (wrecking the careers of promising youngsters), there is no imagination to their play and they hoof the ball repeatedly.

His record as a player was terrific, as a person he is brilliant but a football manager he is certainly not.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
Agreed. The number of people suggesting Hoddle is worrying for that reason.

I don't like Hoddle as a person, but his overall managerial record is decent.  Remember - probably 99% of managers get sacked at least twice in their careers.  There's no way we are ever going to get one of the other 1%!

He did a decent job as England manager and was sacked for non-footballing reasons.

Hoddle or Irvine ?   Hoddle

Hoddle or Jones?  Hoddle

Hoddle or Hughton? Hoddle

Hoddle or Pulis?  Hoddle

Hoddle or Jol?  Marginal

Hoddle or Adkins?  Marginal

Hoddle or McLaren?  McLaren

Hoddle or Southgate?  Marginal

I wouldn't rule out Hoddle at all. His credentials outrank just about anyone else.  He wasn't made England manager without a good CV.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »
the only thing worrying me is will peace actually get rid of irvine. there'll be a lot of egg on his face after all the promises he made in the summer about the albion being run better and we'd appointed the best head coach to take us forward.

They'll be even more egg on his face & money out of his pocket if we get relegated, if JP thinks he needs to, you bet he will.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
I don't like Hoddle as a person, but his overall managerial record is decent.  Remember - probably 99% of managers get sacked at least twice in their careers.  There's no way we are ever going to get one of the other 1%!

He did a decent job as England manager and was sacked for non-footballing reasons.

Hoddle or Irvine ?   Hoddle

Hoddle or Jones?  Hoddle

Hoddle or Hughton? Hoddle

Hoddle or Pulis?  Hoddle

Hoddle or Jol?  Marginal

Hoddle or Adkins?  Marginal

Hoddle or McLaren?  McLaren

Hoddle or Southgate?  Marginal

I wouldn't rule out Hoddle at all. His credentials outrank just about anyone else.  He wasn't made England manager without a good CV.
I'd sooner we go for a younger manager in the earlier stages of his career with something to prove than a dinosaur of the footballing world with with some very odd ideas and a questionable personality. The last thing we need is someone who's been out of a managerial role for eight years.

I'm not sure what comparing hoddle to some very poor managers (Irvine, Jones) achieves.

Of the names mentioned, Dick Advocaat or Mauricio Pellegrino would get my vote, if Peace could attract them. If we were to go down the up-and-coming route, I'd like to see us give Gary Neville his first job in management.  If we could attract them, Dick Advocaat or Mauricio Pellegrino would get my vote.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:25:31 PM by maccbaggie »

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »
I hear Martinez is getting booed at Everton

Sums up the modern day football fan  ???

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »
Sums up the modern day football fan  ???

Modern day football unless you have money can be a drab. The teams outside the regular top 6 will do anything to stay in the premier league and play most likely drab football

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
I'd sooner we go for a younger manager in the earlier stages of his career with something to prove than a dinosaur of the footballing world with with some very odd ideas and a questionable personality. The last thing we need is someone who's been out of a managerial role for eight years.

I'm not sure what comparing hoddle to some very poor managers (Irvine, Jones) achieves.

Of the names mentioned, Dick Advocaat or Mauricio Pellegrino would get my vote, if Peace could attract them. If we were to go down the up-and-coming route, I'd like to see us give Gary Neville his first job in management.  If we could attract them, Dick Advocaat or Mauricio Pellegrino would get my vote.

The point of comparing Hoddle with Irvine and Jones is that we have got Irvine and we may well get Jones!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
Hoddle was England manager 15 years ago. That said like virtually anyone else, I'd take him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »
As we put so much emphasis on what supporters of previous clubs think, ask Wolves fans about Glenn Hoddle :-X
50 goals in a season. 8)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:43 PM »
Hoddle would be more madness.

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
Irvine is still in place. I think he's likely to stay there whatever happens 'til after the transfer window, otherwise JP will be pressured into spending more money. D & K seem to be set in concrete now on the staff.
Most of the names mentioned don't thrill me anymore than the one we've got and most of the experienced, established ones will not want to know under our existing arrangements.
Cosy and warm as it is, to think 'one of our own' will fix things is, IMO, naïve. We need somebody with a clear idea of what is to be achieved and a team of assistants ready to put that in place. As said above, Mel was never allowed to bring in a change to our 'sit back-hit 'em on the break/ keep possession in mf and ease the pressure' tactics we've followed for years now. I may be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if D & K scuppered his plans.
This all sounds pessimistic, but that's how I felt since Al's appointment. I just hope that it all turns around, Val skips past fullbacks, Vic suddenly finds his scoring boots, Bobby becomes a world-beater, midfielders (I include them all) find a way to get past opponents and put telling passes and crosses behind defences.
 I really hope so; just doubt it right now.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
When we get relegated I'd like to see Kevin Philips given
a chance seems to have a lot of affinity to the fans

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
JP isn’t daft, he knows that many managers will not work under his leadership / club structure. Therefore he either sticks with Irvine or appoints someone like Downing or Dave Jones who would jump at the chance to work at WBA. I’d rather keep Irvine, my opinion would be different if the likes of Pullis or Jol were being lined up as a replacement.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
I would like to think someone like Southgate would at least be looked at should be be searching for new head coaches.

I think he would possibly join as a Head Coach aswell as it gets him back into club management. Done a good job with the under 21's and they seem to play some nice football at times.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
When we get relegated I'd like to see Kevin Philips given
a chance seems to have a lot of affinity to the fans

Pearson & Philips, get them signed up.
Bonus = that will drop Leicester right in it!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!