Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 363864 times)

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »
In all honesty, i find the thread very disrespectful. The man is still employed by the club. Until he gets the boot this thread should not exist.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »

Neither is this.

Burton? You must be joking.

The feel good factor needs bringing back and getting rid of Irvine, Downing and Keily would be like a huge cloud moving on and the sun coming out. To then learn that Burton runs the show for the rest of the season would be like a bloody monsoon appearing.

Think you might be dissapointed then chap, can't see JP clearing the lot out halfway through the season.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
Think you might be dissapointed then chap, can't see JP clearing the lot out halfway through the season.
He needs to if we're to have a chance of staying up

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
In all honesty, i find the thread very disrespectful. The man is still employed by the club. Until he gets the boot this thread should not exist.

Why?

Should we not talk about next season's kit, as we're still using the old one or should we not speculate over potenital signings because we already have players?

It's the nature of the beast I am affraid and I see no issue with discussing potential replacements.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »

If you do don't read it!
I myself find it very disrespectful to assume that our fans are morons by dishing up the same old anecdotes that Irvine dishes up after every game.
The sooner he goes the better
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

The title of the thread isn't very subtle I agree, but I think the hypothetical debate is worth having.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »

Not at all, we are just pre-planning and I hope the club are doing the same. If you don't like the thread then don't look at it.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
Some of our supporters really do amaze me. He isnt going anywhere anytime soon so we might as well get behind AI and the team and show our support. This negative nasty bile is doing no good to anyone.
The players are fully behind AI and so are the board so get off your high horse and be loud and proud at Hull on Saturday.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
Some of our supporters really do amaze me. He isnt going anywhere anytime soon so we might as well get behind AI and the team and show our support. This negative nasty bile is doing no good to anyone.
The players are fully behind AI and so are the board so get off your high horse and be loud and proud at Hull on Saturday.

I think you'll find the fans are very much behind the team. Our away support is generally good and won't be any different, after all we all want the Albion to win. However, theres nothing wrong with asking the question who next?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:25:07 AM by Morany »
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »

again you have me rolling over in laughter, so you think the players are playing for him do you
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
Why would you be behind a man who is actively taking your club down? Unless you're a villa fan? The only people who amaze me are the few left defending him.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »

again you have me rolling over in laughter, so you think the players are playing for him do you

I think the players are definitely playing for him.
the regime don't like it man

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:49 AM »
I think the players are definitely playing for him.

Until last night the it has been the usual suspects in the squad, they know that if they are fit they are in the side no matter what. He has got extremely desperate and is only now resorting to making any kind of changes to the match day squad. The regular first teamers have got extremely comfortable.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »

What I find disrespectful is the dross football served up by the most negative manager I can remember, I pay a lot of money to support the Albion, I feel ripped off for the £1000's I spend following the team, which is why I will no longer do it until he is gone!
Baggie in Southampton

BAGGYINTHESOUTH

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
The man is going nowhere, the main problem is the side is not good enough to stay in the PREM. Whoever is in charge will have the same probs, so sit back and watch the ALBION slide into the CHAMPS. :(

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
Why would you be behind a man who is actively taking your club down? Unless you're a villa fan? The only people who amaze me are the few left defending him.

I wondered when the 'villa Fan' remark would be wrote. No i am not a villa fan, i am a WBA fan who is trying to support our head coach, i am not a huge fan of Irvine but i dont honestly think there are many better candidates out there who would work under our structure.
If AI does get removed then Downing and Kiely MUST go with him. They seem to get away with it every time.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
The man is going nowhere, the main problem is the side is not good enough to stay in the PREM. Whoever is in charge will have the same probs, so sit back and watch the ALBION slide into the CHAMPS. :(

This squad with the right leader will easily keep us up

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »
If AI does get removed then Downing and Kiely MUST go with him. They seem to get away with it every time.
I agree with you there.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
You know what? this is going to be a really difficult decision for the board of WBAFC.
On the one hand, you need to take whatever steps are needed to preserve our EPL status, which may well mean replacing the head coach, on the other hand, you don't want the decision to be seen to be influenced by fan/supporter power.
Whatever some of you believe, there aren't too many decent replacements out there, otherwise Alan Pardew & Sam Allerdyce would have been sacked by now, & Newcastle & West Ham are able to pay a lot more than us.
Based on what I saw last night, I would say Irvine has to go, but in the cold light of day, it might not be quite so easy.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »
Simples really, all hes got to do is change his football philosphy but hes set in his ways

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
JP pushed the boat out and spent decent money on wages and fees last Summer , time to do the same with a Manager . McInnes would be in my thoughts but i wouldn't want him to fail as a former player very well respected here plus you have to take into account the standard of the Scottish game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
The best the club could do is probably Hughton who's similar to Irvine in a lot of ways.

The only other viable options would be those who it'd be a huge jump up for like McInnes (funny how people don't want Irvine but McInnes is fine - he was dreadful for Bristol City), and coaches like Mike Phelan who've no experience.

I think what would most likely happen though is Keith Downing would get the job till the end of the season. I doubt the club wants the mess of not having a manager during the season for 5 weeks again, and given the structure in place and the time taken to get the last 3 managers, you'd be looking at a similar time frame again should Irvine go. The board will look at the fact we stayed up last season with Downing head coach in all but name (though we didn't do very well) plus with the knowledge he definitely know's how to work in the clubs structure.

The only way we'd actually get someone half decent is by scrapping this system and bringing an actual manger's role back. But given we've made multiple appointments over the summer to increase the influence of background staff, well we've probably just limited our options even more since then.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:30:07 PM by Dan »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
The best the club could do is probably Hughton who's similar to Irvine in a lot of ways.

The only other viable options would be those who it'd be a huge jump up for like McInnes (funny how people don't want Irvine but McInnes is fine - he was dreadful for Bristol City), and coaches like Mike Phelan who've no experience.

I think what would most likely happen though is Keith Downing would get the job till the end of the season. I doubt the club wants the mess of not having a manager during the season for 5 weeks again, and given the structure in place and the time taken to get the last 3 managers, you'd be looking at a similar time frame again should Irvine go. The board will look at the fact we stayed up last season with Downing head coach in all but name (though we didn't do very well) plus with the knowledge he definitely know's how to work in the clubs structure.

The only way we'd actually get someone half decent is by scrapping this system and bringing an actual manger's role back. But given we've made multiple appointments over the summer to increase the influence of background staff, well we've probably just limited our options even more since then.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't McInnes save City from relegation then have his better players sold and budget slashed ?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't McInnes save City from relegation then have his better players sold and budget slashed ?

He joined on the 19th of October so it wasn't really an heroic tale of survival. His unpopularity with Bristol City fans would suggest he did a bad job there.

The question people should be asking themselves is, if McInnes had never played for Albion, would anybody want him as head coach?

People should be employed on merit, not the fact they used to play for us and will appease the fans for a few weeks. The same reasoning saw Robson appointed despite the fact he was clearly a woeful manager.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:41:13 PM by Dan »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
He joined on the 19th of October so it wasn't really an heroic tale of survival. His unpopularity with Bristol City fans would suggest he did a bad job there.

The question people should be asking themselves is, if McInnes had never played for Albion, would anybody want him as head coach?

People should be employed on merit, not the fact they used to play for us and will appease the fans for a few weeks.
I think your being harsh there , City had been in a right mess for years. I personally have kept an eye on him , as i posted earlier he would be in my thoughts ...young , ambitious and won a trophy or two with Aberdeen and St Johnstone where his teams quite often turned over better funded sides .As i also posted though it's Scotland , he would be on my list though not to mention he seems a strong character which is one of the things we cry out for.