Author Topic: 28 Aug 2018 Albion 2 Mansfield Town 1 (Carabao Cup 2)  (Read 29947 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2018, 11:14:53 PM »
Anyone know what the attendance was?
Not a lot?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
Myself and the rest of the Halfords must have been at a different game.

Negatives:

From where I was sat, Barry was very sloppy at times and almost gifted them a goal at the end with a terrible pass in midfield. Mansfield were very unlucky to go out. They hit the post, clipped the bar and missed two clear cut chances at the death (Their GK having one of the shots when he went up for the corner).

We were very negative, constantly passing the ball back instead of turning and running with the ball. Yes, on occasion, Burke got his head up and made a run, but he was closed down quickly. I was disappointed with how reluctant we were to go forward.

At times in the first half we were like school boys. The comical play in our own box when we should have put a boot through the ball was scandalous. We almost scored an own goal had it not been for Myhill getting a palm to it. Everyone around me was up in arms about some of the play in our own box.

I'm glad the youngters are getting some game time, but can't help feeling there's too much in terms of quantity. Bring in one or two, and if the game is won by 70 mins then give some more a bit of time. And the showboating has to stop. Some might say it's youthful vigour, but for me it smacks of arrogance. And doing it at 0-0 was silly.

Myhill's distribution was awful. I think every long-pass he made went out of play.

Positives:

Field played some tremendous cross-field passes.

Nice finish from Edwards, shame he went off injured.

Burke's speed was impressive, surely needs to be in the team?

Mears didn't play too bad considering he signed today (?) looked pretty sharp and think he will settle in.

Dawson played a few shockers early on, but got better as the game progressed.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2018, 11:31:49 PM »
Two good goals, nice to see some quality in the centre of the pitch, Barry and Harper both excellent, worked well together. Thought Burke was poor to be honest, just something lacking with him, maybe confidence who knows. Dawson and Myhill tried their best to gift Mansfield a goal but we came through it.

Nice to see Edwards score an excellent goal. Leko still looks as though he's just ambling through games at times.

Did you leave at half time?!?

Our midfield was AWOL in the second half. Didn't support the front men and didn't support the defence. Plenty of possession given away when they did have the ball.

After an encouraging first half we were lucky in second not to go to extra time.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2018, 11:34:49 PM »

Our midfield was AWOL in the second half. Didn't support the front men and didn't support the defence. Plenty of possession given away when they did have the ball.

After an encouraging first half we were lucky in second not to go to extra time.

There was no chance of us going to extra time.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »

Nope, did what I always do, stay until the end. I just saw things differently from you, its called an opinion. For me midfield were excellent, maybe they did give the ball away at times, name me a player that didn't, name me a player this season that hasn't, it whats happens during games but overall the midfield two tonight were better than we've been watching there this season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:56 PM »
Nope, did what I always do, stay until the end. I just saw things differently from you, its called an opinion. For me midfield were excellent, maybe they did give the ball away at times, name me a player that didn't, name me a player this season that hasn't, it whats happens during games but overall the midfield two tonight were better than we've been watching there this season.

Can I render your opinion invalid? Surely that's how this debate thing works.

I understand that the ball does get given away at times, but second half it was given away several times in really dangerous areas.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »

There was no chance of us going to extra time.

Second half Mansfield deserves a draw and certainly had enough good chances to get it.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2018, 11:44:46 PM »
Second half Mansfield deserves a draw and certainly had enough good chances to get it.
yeah but even if they had equalised, straight to penalties.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2018, 11:46:50 PM »
yeah but even if they had equalised, straight to penalties.
Would not have fancied that

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »
Can I render your opinion invalid? Surely that's how this debate thing works.

I understand that the ball does get given away at times, but second half it was given away several times in really dangerous areas.

Thats fine but I didn't see anything more dangerous than the clown act between Dawson and Myhill.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
I agree with most of the postings but here are some points I would like to make.
Myhill saved us with excellent save near end,Barry apart from terrible pass near end was MOM and why didn't Gayle run down the clock in injury time?
What did we learn from a first team perspective?
I think Field could easily replace Gibbs or Livermore,if we don't sign a natural captain in the window I would give captaincy to Barry and play him instead of Brunt and not only have players such as Burke and Leko on the bench but actually bring them on as impact players!!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »
Barry was very hit and miss for me, started poorly; I think his first 3 touches were all passes to the the opposition. He did improve as the game went on though.

I thought Leko stated brightly and took his goal well but too much showboating and he faded badly second half. Edwards was a shadow of the player that he was against Luton but he took a couple of heavy knocks so that might have been why. Great goal at just the right time.

Mears looked okay and certainly an improvement on Nyom, Dawson was mostly good, won most of his challenges. Sam Field was excellent again and need to be starting games but where? Does he replace Gibbs or Brunt? (it'd be Brunt for me.) Adarabioyo looked better at centre half but still too many backwards passes when he could have played it forward.

Thought Harper did well as the game developed and I'd hope he will get a place on the bench and minutes on the pitch in the upcoming games.

The main problem for me was that we played far too many players that might train together but never really get any game time together and it showed.

Still we got through and that was the main thing.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »
Anyone know what the attendance was? Haven’t seen it printed anywhere

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
Anyone know what the attendance was? Haven’t seen it printed anywhere

No chap, I've been looking too but I haven't seen it anywhere as yet.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2018, 08:17:57 PM »
Attendance was 10.5k, with almost 1,200 away fans.

EDIT: Just found the exact figures:

Away following, 1,183

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:21:05 PM by Andio »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Match Highlights
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
Apologies for the delay: https://vimeo.com/287829306
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:10:02 PM by TheBrom »