Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 215587 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #1175 on: February 25, 2022, 05:35:29 PM »
Sawyers is a playmaker played in a balanced midfield with forwards providing good movement ahead of him he would be an asset. However we don't have that nor do we have a coach who has any sort of clue.

I like Sawyers he would be better off out of here.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1176 on: April 06, 2022, 06:14:52 PM »
Scored a really good goal for the clayheads last night.......

Just saying.... ;)
MAGA!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1177 on: April 06, 2022, 07:49:48 PM »
I like Sawyers too. We have worse right here.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1178 on: April 07, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »
Should certainly be part of the squad next season - think he walks into the team as the most advanced of a central 3, but if we are to stick with just two centre mids then he’s more of a rotation piece.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1179 on: April 07, 2022, 10:30:03 AM »
Sawyers is one of the older brigade we need to be getting rid of. Move him on at the end of the season.

We can't call for squad refreshness then want to retain players like Sawyers.

We've been guilty of retaining players for too long. We should be learning lessons.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1180 on: April 07, 2022, 10:50:12 AM »
He's out of contract, isn't he?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1181 on: April 07, 2022, 10:53:00 AM »
He's out of contract, isn't he?

Yes.

30 years old. Be a mistake to offer him a new deal.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1182 on: April 08, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »
I think we have a 12 month option. Sawyers could be a real asset in the right tactical set up but I don't think Bruce is that sort of coach, as such I think it is probably better for all concerned to call it quits at the end of this season. This causes me great sadness because he was criminally misused and as such has become an unfairly maligned player. I wish him well
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1183 on: April 08, 2022, 05:11:15 PM »
If there is an option we should exercise it, we won't get much better for the champ next year, and we are fairly well stocked with more defensive players.  IMHO.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1184 on: April 09, 2022, 05:43:29 PM »
We should absolutely keep Sawyers, better than all of out current midfielders whuch is not hard granted

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1185 on: April 09, 2022, 05:51:36 PM »
Not good enough, what we want another midfielder who has no pace and doesn’t score we have plenty of them at club.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1186 on: April 09, 2022, 06:08:29 PM »
He might be decent on the ball but as a midfielder his work rate is horrible.
Not willing to press or tackle, always try to escape from duels.
We should not exercise the option.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 06:11:59 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1187 on: April 09, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »
Shouldn’t be an option, the guy can’t run. Great on the ball, just doesn’t fit in with any of our other midfielders who unfortunately will still be here next season.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1188 on: April 09, 2022, 06:59:21 PM »
My thought process is;

Reach or sawyers? Sawyers

Molumby or Sawyers? Sawyers

Mowatt or Sawyers? Sawyers

Sawyers ain't amazing but he's better those who replaced him which is the same for Sam Field.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1189 on: April 09, 2022, 07:01:10 PM »
Totally misused at Albion. I was delighted when we signed him. If we had the right manager he would be like a new signing next season.

It's a KEEP from me with the caveat of needing a new manager.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1190 on: April 09, 2022, 07:06:39 PM »
My thought process is;

Sawyers ain't amazing but he's better those who replaced him which is the same for Sam Field.
my thinking would be none of the above as they have all been pish poor in Albion shirt, need midfielder’s with pace and physicality and can get into opponents box.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1191 on: April 09, 2022, 07:17:12 PM »
My thought process is;

Why we let field go under allardyce with an option to buy is beyond me. Allardyce wasn’t going to stay if we went down so should have had no input into the next season.

In regards to those players, I’d get rid of all of them. Unfortunately 3 are on long term contracts with us, sawyers is not.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1192 on: April 09, 2022, 08:07:35 PM »
Totally misused at Albion. I was delighted when we signed him. If we had the right manager he would be like a new signing next season.

It's a KEEP from me with the caveat of needing a new manager.

Agreed. When he signed in 2019, the consensus was he one of the best no.8's or no.10's in the Championship. He was then played increasingly deeper over those first 18 months, in the vain hope he'd turn into Pirlo.

Bilic did some good things at Albion but the Sawyers experiment was a failure.

I'd like him back next season if used correctly. It's the kind of low-risk move the club are likely to make and I'd support it IF he is joined by 2 more central midfield additions and the plan is to use him as a more attack-minded, creative player.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1193 on: April 09, 2022, 08:24:55 PM »
If I remember rightly Thomas Frank and maybe Dean Smith before him started using Sawyers in a deeper role at Brentford, it wasn't some Bilic experiment.
Sawyers played well while the team energy levels were up under Bilic, linking things together. I guess he needs movement around and in front of him. Post lockdown during the Bilic slump his form went, players weren't making themselves available for the ball any more which didn't suit him as he wasn't a launch it forward merchant.   

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1194 on: April 09, 2022, 08:36:54 PM »
Bruce is right when he says we need a younger, more vibrant squad. There is no place for immobile, ageing players like Sawyers.

Hopefully the club have learned past lessons.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1195 on: April 10, 2022, 10:43:18 AM »
Bruce is right when he says we need a younger, more vibrant squad. There is no place for immobile, ageing players like Sawyers.

Hopefully the club have learned past lessons.

We also need a squad not tied down on fat, lengthy contracts. We need players with a desire to win not just turn up and get paid and i'm alright because i'm already a multi-millionaire.

We also need Lai gone for real change to come.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1196 on: April 10, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »
I think we should have kept hold of Sawyer's last summer then alternated the midfield between him, Livermore, Mulumby and Mowatt and TGH.

Has we done this we may have been in a better position to not automatically trigger options on Livermore and Mulumby's contracts as they could have all been used sparingly.  We could have then been in a position this summer to have room for 3 new midfielders. 

As it stands if we keep Sawyers then there is no room for any new midfielders knowing full well we need more dynamic players in there.

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1197 on: April 10, 2022, 01:20:30 PM »
Sawyers fits the mould of the midfielder we already have. Waiting for Val to return for Mowatt as he has disappointed me all season - he certainly has not matched the description of what we were signing - just like most of our signings.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1198 on: April 11, 2022, 12:23:39 PM »
As ever with all current discussions about us, there is uncertainty and contention. The Club has to have a mission and a strategy and has to stop knee jerking. We are in dangerous waters and we need to keep afloat, have a long term plan and stick to it. From the outside it looks like we have nothing in the pipe.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1199 on: April 11, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
Rightly or wrongly Sawyers had a traumatic end to his spell with us.  He's also 30+ and on a wage that was relevant a couple of years ago, but certainly not now in the Championship.  So for me, we must move almost anyone of the old guard we can (and that includes Sawyers) and get younger players on lower wages.