Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 215609 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #650 on: September 20, 2020, 12:29:56 PM »
He switches off all too easily and doesn't like to challenge for headers.  We can't have him in the side if his only job is to make a few neat 6 yard passes when we have easy possession.

He shouldn't be given any marking role from free kicks or corners. Put him on the edge off the box to pick up the next phase of play.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #651 on: September 20, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
Keep the lad out the box wherever possible. He's awful at any aspect of defending.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #652 on: September 20, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
He has this very 'relaxed' way of playing which due to his ability at Championship level makes him an asset.

Currently his inexperience at this level means this relaxed way causes him and us problems at this level hes almost got to develop the understand the level hes playing at now to unlock the advantages of this 'relaxed' approach.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #653 on: September 20, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »
He has this very 'relaxed' way of playing which due to his ability at Championship level makes him an asset.

Currently his inexperience at this level means this relaxed way causes him and us problems at this level hes almost got to develop the understand the level hes playing at now to unlock the advantages of this 'relaxed' approach.
I’ve seen this “relaxed way” mentioned a lot...
Other players (le tiss Berbatov,brunt,waddle) all had a relaxed way....but were pretty accurate/effective....yesterday facing his own goal, inside the six yard box , he laid a ball off straight to Calvert Lewin....that’s not relaxed, it’s just unacceptable.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
Thats exactly my point all three of those players were far better than Sawyers currently.

I for one am not sure he has the ability to play this way at this level but only time will tell, however its worth noting hes also no spring chicken so he may have to realise hes got to reign it in.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #655 on: September 20, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
He switches off all too easily and doesn't like to challenge for headers.  We can't have him in the side if his only job is to make a few neat 6 yard passes when we have easy possession.
Thing is when we play well it tends to be because he's always available doing exactly that. Without him filling that role we probably wouldn't have the easy possession for as long. Yesterday we didn't keep possession for the sake of it, it usually led to a threatening attack.
Granted we will have to see how things progress and it is a bit heart in mouth when he has the ball deep inside our own area on occasions.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #656 on: September 20, 2020, 03:40:05 PM »
Thing is when we play well it tends to be because he's always available doing exactly that. Without him filling that role we probably wouldn't have the easy possession for as long. Yesterday we didn't keep possession for the sake of it, it usually led to a threatening attack.
Granted we will have to see how things progress and it is a bit heart in mouth when he has the ball deep inside our own area on occasions.
So do we not utilise him against the bottom 8 clubs for that very purpose and replace him vs the others with an absolute beast in midfield ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #657 on: September 20, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »
Said it time and time again, put another ball playing midfielder next to him instead of Livermore and he will be better.

Think we will see a different player if he gets paired with Gallagher.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #658 on: September 20, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »
Sadly RS has been poor both in last ten games of last season and total liability this season. No one wants him to do well more than me a d he might be hampered by being asked to do a role that does not suit him. That being said he should not be in the first xi either in 353 or 433 0r 4231. We have better options already -or at least options worth trying that cannot be worse

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #659 on: September 20, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
Not his greatest fan but definitely improved yesterday with one lovely flick around the corner to set up an attack. Bilic needs to go with three in midfield with Field as the DM.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #660 on: September 20, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »
So do we not utilise him against the bottom 8 clubs for that very purpose and replace him vs the others with an absolute beast in midfield ?
He did a good job yesterday, I'm not sure you'd class Everton as a bottom 8 club this year. Depends what the policy is. If we are sticking to footballing principles we don't want an absolute beast alongside Livermore, unless he happens to be a good footballer also.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #661 on: September 20, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
He did a good job yesterday, I'm not sure you'd class Everton as a bottom 8 club this year. Depends what the policy is. If we are sticking to footballing principles we don't want an absolute beast alongside Livermore, unless he happens to be a good footballer also.
Passing to Calvert lewin in our 6 yard box is certainly a “job”

I’m struggling with the amount of posts that state that our players are the same as last year so therefore championship....but also many posts stating that sawyers is good enough for the prem...I think he’s ok (and somewhere in between) but he’d be behind
Gallagher
Krov
Pererira
Field
In the middle of the park...IMO

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »
last season I believed the early hype but i came to realise one goal ,few assists and not capable of winning the ball it became obvious he is not good enough.
Hovever last week he played further up the pitch and had one of his best games but today he reverted to type.
It is clearly not all his fault but while he was on the pitch we had no efforts on goal and could have conceded half a dozen while without him we had a couple of half chances and only conceded a wonder goal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #663 on: October 04, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »
last season I believed the early hype but i came to realise one goal ,few assists and not capable of winning the ball it became obvious he is not good enough.
Hovever last week he played further up the pitch and had one of his best games but today he reverted to type.
It is clearly not all his fault but while he was on the pitch we had no efforts on goal and could have conceded half a dozen while without him we had a couple of half chances and only conceded a wonder goal.

Whatever his limitations if he was next to peak Yacob he'd be well worth a place. His partnership with Livermore just doesn't work or make sense.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #664 on: October 04, 2020, 03:50:31 PM »
I really miss Yacob. He wasn't a great footballer but he was fantastic at what he did.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #665 on: October 04, 2020, 03:57:24 PM »
Whatever his limitations if he was next to peak Yacob he'd be well worth a place. His partnership with Livermore just doesn't work or make sense.

Yeah about right this.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #666 on: October 04, 2020, 04:10:10 PM »

I’ve been saying we need a true defensive midfielder in all summer but you keep telling me we can just drop Livermore for a box to boxer in Gallagher.

I agree, Sawyers could just about get away next to a true Yacob/Mulumbu, but even then with every passing game Sawyers is looking more and more a championship player.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #667 on: October 04, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
I’ve been saying we need a true defensive midfielder in all summer but you keep telling me we can just drop Livermore for a box to boxer in Gallagher.

I agree, Sawyers could just about get away next to a true Yacob/Mulumbu, but even then with every passing game Sawyers is looking more and more a championship player.

The Livermore Gallagher swap would improve us as a team, wouldn't be perfect but would be a (imo) massive improvement.

The Yacob type player would totally fix midfield without having to eventually get rid of Sawyers.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #668 on: October 04, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »
The Livermore Gallagher swap would improve us as a team, wouldn't be perfect but would be a (imo) massive improvement.

The Yacob type player would totally fix midfield without having to eventually get rid of Sawyers.
The three of Krov,Gallagher and Field would be a much better option.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #669 on: October 04, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

This.  The player to drop would be Sawyers, he's a luxury at this level as his defensive work just isn't there.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #670 on: October 04, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
This.  The player to drop would be Sawyers, he's a luxury at this level as his defensive work just isn't there.

Sadly, neither Livermore nor Sawyers are premier league quality. Livermore has been relegated 2 or 3 times now and Sawyers was starting to struggle in the championship second half of the season.

Sawyers is a wonderful championship player for a top half side. He isn't a prem player.
Boing Boing

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #671 on: October 04, 2020, 07:57:57 PM »
Sadly, neither Livermore nor Sawyers are premier league quality. Livermore has been relegated 2 or 3 times now and Sawyers was starting to struggle in the championship second half of the season.

Sawyers is a wonderful championship player for a top half side. He isn't a prem player.

I don't think being relegated several times matters (Ben Foster has been relegated 4 times) however I do agree he and sawyers are more top championship players.

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #672 on: October 04, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
Flat track bully unfortunately, looks good in the Champo in a good side but when he has to put hard yards in comes up short (including end of last year).

So slow and laid back on the ball giving it away in our own third time and time again is unforgivable at this level. Genuinely don’t know his role which is also at Slav’s door, not a ball winner not dynamic no defensive nous. Picks the odd good pass going forward to start attacks but should not be played in a 2 man midfield.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #673 on: October 04, 2020, 08:30:27 PM »
I would say in a 433 if the midfield three had 2 sitting and 1 advanced that would be a role for Sawyers but he needs more urgency. That “languid style” isn’t coming across well.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #674 on: October 04, 2020, 09:20:08 PM »
I'm still not sure he would be worth his place in a midfield 3.  The defensive part of his game is lacking - so if you had 2 others sitting then Sawyers would be your luxury midfielder - he's not really good enough for that.  If he's 1 of the sitting players, then the defensive part will cost you.

I do think he's very good when he's on the ball - and excellent at getting out of a tight corner.