Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 215602 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #625 on: September 14, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »
Contributing goals and assists is important though. You yourself used to use Brunt assist statistics to justify why you thought he should play.
Sawyers has something like a 90% pass completion rate but since most of his passes are short sideways and backwards passes I'd expect them to be high. I rarely see Sawyers play a decent forward pass.

Are you suggesting that Livermore has a more expansive passing range than Sawyers? Livermore is stronger, runs around more than Romain but plainly is an awful football with the ball at his feet. Even Stevie Wonder should have spotted that by now.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #626 on: September 14, 2020, 07:47:37 PM »
Are you suggesting that Livermore has a more expansive passing range than Sawyers? Livermore is stronger, runs around more than Romain but plainly is an awful football with the ball at his feet. Even Stevie Wonder should have spotted that by now.
The insults start coming out when someone voices a different view.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #627 on: September 14, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
Sawyers contributes far more than Livermore. It's plain for everyone to see. The game cannot be broken down into just goals and assists.
No, it's plain for you to see, but not everyone agrees, me included.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #628 on: September 14, 2020, 07:50:15 PM »

In my opinion we need better than Livermore and Sawyers In the premier league.

However if Livermore is an awful footballer as you suggest why do so many managers continue to play him?
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #629 on: September 14, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
no, just pointing out that Sawyers high pass completion rate includes a large amount of sideways and backwards passes over a short distance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #630 on: September 14, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
He leads by example as a good captain should, he closes down, he tackles. He also played a good through ball for Periera yesterday.

Anyway back to Sawyers, I think he would be better playing more offensively but if we get Gallagher on loan would he play next to Livermore allowing Sawyers to play further forward as part of a midfield 3. Is Sawyers a better offensive player than Gallagher?

Could use a 5-man midfield with Sawyers and Gallagher sharing the same two roles during a match. Sawyers attacking midfielder, Gallagher defensive midfielder and switch quickly as and when required. Or they just share the same position on as a one-on, one-off basis.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #631 on: September 14, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »
Could use a 5-man midfield with Sawyers and Gallagher sharing the same two roles during a match. Sawyers attacking midfielder, Gallagher defensive midfielder and switch quickly as and when required. Or they just share the same position on as a one-on, one-off basis.

I think a 5 man midfield might be needed for some games, to be effective it would need the wide players to fall back though. I seem to remember we played a 4-5-1 under Hodgson a few times.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #632 on: September 14, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »
System wasn’t setup for the midfield in that match against Leicester. Doesent excuse some poor defensive play but still, the point stands.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #633 on: September 14, 2020, 08:23:15 PM »
no, just pointing out that Sawyers high pass completion rate includes a large amount of sideways and backwards passes over a short distance.

Fair enough. What should set alarm bells ringing with Livermore is that despite playing as the more advanced central midfielder last season he only got 3 goals and 5 assists in a team that scored as many as Leeds. Like say, jack of all trades, master of none.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #634 on: September 14, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »

However if Livermore is an awful footballer as you suggest why do so many managers continue to play him?

He's useful for his physicality in the championship and a liability in the premiership. Pulis signed him, so no surprise he can't play any football and has got feet made out of lead. Pulis got sacked - after begging to be paid out of his contract. We then had a shambolic season and got relegated, after Livermore had replaced Yacob which was a massive mistake.

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #635 on: September 14, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »
I too, would like to see sawyers play further up the field.  I feel he has it too easy passing around the back. I get he is supposed to be in some kind of quarterback role but he doesn’t get enough assists or break up enough play to warrant a place at the mo. The fact he has little competition for his place mean he’s not being challenged to provide  more in games. I’d like to see him with his vision and eye for a pass, on the edge of the opponent’s box instead of ours.
Submariners go deeper

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #636 on: September 14, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »
He's useful for his physicality in the championship and a liability in the premiership. Pulis signed him, so no surprise he can't play any football and has got feet made out of lead. Pulis got sacked - after begging to be paid out of his contract. We then had a shambolic season and got relegated, after Livermore had replaced Yacob which was a massive mistake.
Don't like Jake do you mate?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #637 on: September 14, 2020, 09:08:31 PM »
Don't like Jake do you mate?

In his defence, what's to like?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #638 on: September 14, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
I think a 5 man midfield might be needed for some games, to be effective it would need the wide players to fall back though. I seem to remember we played a 4-5-1 under Hodgson a few times.

Yes we were well drilled in a 4, 5, 1 formation with Roy Hodgson. You could tell each player had a specific role which was carried out as instructed. Worked at over and over again on the training pitch. Effective.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #639 on: September 14, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
In his defence, what's to like?

Slapped a West Ham fan didn’t he? Love that.

I’ll be honest I didn’t see much of Sawyers at Brentford but if he was further forward let’s at least try him there then because he is not a CDM like we keep persisting with
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #640 on: September 15, 2020, 06:43:28 AM »

These 2 points are basically it in a nutshell, neither is quite good enough for the Prem, Sawyers has quality but can't/won't tackle, Livermore is a fairly solid citizen about the park, but if he was a Top Trump card, what would his special quality be?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #641 on: September 19, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
Thought he was very good today. Took him ten mins to start seeing the ball but after that he was very good.

When he plays well we play well.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #642 on: September 19, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
Thought he was very good today. Took him ten mins to start seeing the ball but after that he was very good.

I agree. He can control and pass a football cleanly and intelligently. We move the ball around in possession much better when he is involved.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #643 on: September 19, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
Good footballer but would like to see him further up the pitch.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #644 on: September 19, 2020, 04:31:40 PM »

Agreed, obviously faded after the red card.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #645 on: September 19, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
Good footballer but would like to see him further up the pitch.

Agreed he just needs another midfielder behind him play the Yacob role and screen the defence.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #646 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »
Very very good today in possession he needs to grab a hold defensively though you have to be good at both in the premier league. Put Gallagher in in the midfield with Jake & Romain we’l be competitive in the middle of the park.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #647 on: September 19, 2020, 10:09:47 PM »
Almost right. Put him in the middle with Romaine and go from there. Livermore isn't the player he used to be.

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #648 on: September 19, 2020, 10:37:09 PM »
Not 100% sure what to make of Sawyers today. Neater in possession, but at times over run and turned, and did an appalling job defending one of their set piece goals where he visibly backed out of getting to the ball. You can’t do that at this level- this is the Premier League.

Will need to learn fast about the uglier side of the game if we are to compete better, or needs an ideal combination around him which I’m not sure we have.

Really really hope he proves himself and helps us be a better team though, nothing would please me more.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2020, 12:26:43 PM »
He switches off all too easily and doesn't like to challenge for headers.  We can't have him in the side if his only job is to make a few neat 6 yard passes when we have easy possession.