Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 215624 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #425 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:57 PM »
Did well tonight. Is he now suspended though?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #426 on: July 03, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »
Did well tonight. Is he now suspended though?

No - next ban is at 15 cards
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #427 on: July 03, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
No - next ban is at 15 cards
How many does he have?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:42:47 PM by MarkW »
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #428 on: July 03, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
Love watching him play. If you step back for a second and look at what he offers, he is outstanding and the kind of player I’ve wanted us to sign for years. The number of times he gets us out a tight spot with a clever pass is unreal. I think we should appreciate him for what he is, and I really hope we get up so that we can see him in the premier league.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #429 on: July 03, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »
I like him for sure. Not sure how good he would do in the premier league, especially given that we would almost certainly be a struggling team with many backs to the wall displays needed.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #430 on: July 03, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:42:56 PM by MarkW »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #431 on: July 03, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »
Love watching him play. If you step back for a second and look at what he offers, he is outstanding and the kind of player I’ve wanted us to sign for years. The number of times he gets us out a tight spot with a clever pass is unreal. I think we should appreciate him for what he is, and I really hope we get up so that we can see him in the premier league.
Yes...when he’s on it
But with him and Livermore in a middle 2 we just lack something.
Mulumbu/yacob...that’s the dynamic we need
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

WBAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2020, 10:48:07 PM »
Can see why he’s spent this long without getting to the Premier League, the Championship is his ceiling for me. Not enough goals or assists and I don’t feel his defensive game is strong either. Feels like a luxury player to me and this has been further emphasised due to our lacklustre strike force as he’s been unable to offer anything to pick up the slack.

Just to clarify he comes across as a top bloke and I love his passion for the club but purely from a footballing perspective I fail to see what he offers us if we make it to the Premier League.

Thoughts?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2020, 06:12:16 AM »
Think this leagues is his level, for me he would struggle in the Prem (as would a few of our other players)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #434 on: July 12, 2020, 07:42:58 AM »
Can see why he’s spent this long without getting to the Premier League, the Championship is his ceiling for me. Not enough goals or assists and I don’t feel his defensive game is strong either. Feels like a luxury player to me and this has been further emphasised due to our lacklustre strike force as he’s been unable to offer anything to pick up the slack.

Just to clarify he comes across as a top bloke and I love his passion for the club but purely from a footballing perspective I fail to see what he offers us if we make it to the Premier League.

Thoughts?

I thought his defensive deficiencies were bought right to the fore in the last 20 mins yesterday he is one of the players  who should have shown leadership but abdicated responsibility  . He loses runners and even when he does actually get himself into a position to jockey an opponent he can’t do it . Whilst he gets a lot of plaudits for his passing a lot of it is sideways and backwards and he actually slows us down . As you can tell I don’t think he is a premier league player .

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
In my opinion Sawyers is a good championship player however he would struggle in the premier league, unfortunately that goes for the majority of our current squad.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
In my opinion Sawyers is a good championship player however he would struggle in the premier league, unfortunately that goes for the majority of our current squad.
And then we wonder what the benefit would be to those players of winning promotion?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
For me, Sawyers is a key cog in the side and will be going forward. He dictates the tempo and plays penetrative passes, he plays deep so not all of these are assists but he is vital to the beginning of our attacks.

He is however very weak defensively and I think he needs a midfield built around him to compensate for that. Our setup against Derby where we didn't have all of the possession with Livermore deeper than him is probably something we will replicate more and more, starting on Tuesday and certainly should we achieve promotion.

I'd hope that Sawyers can improve his game, deep lying playmakers generally improve in their later years.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
And then we wonder what the benefit would be to those players of winning promotion?

The only benefit would be if you take the Norwich approach, go up without spending, secure financial security for three years and come back down in 12 months with a decent championship squad.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2020, 08:14:50 AM »
A luxury player who bottles tackles and doesn't get enough assists or goals for me. Great eye for a pass but alot of the opponents play comes threw Romaine.

This

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Easy on the eye and passes a lovely ball but needs to remember his defensive duties.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2020, 12:40:31 PM »
Said in the match thread yesterday that he and Harper haven't got a tackle in them combined. Can never be played together again without a defensive midfielder there to cover them.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »
Said in the match thread yesterday that he and Harper haven't got a tackle in them combined. Can never be played together again without a defensive midfielder there to cover them.

The frustrating thing for me is you don't even need to make a tackle most of the time. Just track your man, cut out passes, position yourself correctly. He is a passenger when we don't have the ball which is probably why he's been deployed behind the striker most of his career, unfortunately he doesn't assist or score enough for that role. He's undeniable good at passing and he always makes himself available for team mates but he really does need to improve that aspect of his game.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #443 on: July 12, 2020, 01:21:57 PM »
I think he's excellent at keeping us ticking over, moves the ball around tidy and once in possession he's very good at making use of the ball.  I agree with those that he doesn't quite do enough defensively - to be honest, if he had a good tackle in him, he'd be playing at the top top level as he'd be an amazing defensive midfielder.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #444 on: July 12, 2020, 01:22:47 PM »
Totally agree. As stated when it comes to off the ball play he is most definitely a passenger. Thats why the game turned when Livermore went off. Livermores not a great player as such but he's the only one who gets stuck in outside the defence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Team is absolutely crying out for an extremely limited CM who is a scrapper. We need a Claudio Yacob player. Wins the ball, lays it off. Job done.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #446 on: July 12, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »
Totally agree. As stated when it comes to off the ball play he is most definitely a passenger. Thats why the game turned when Livermore went off. Livermores not a great player as such but he's the only one who gets stuck in outside the defence.

That's why he has to play every minute possible. As you say Livermore is the only midfielder we have with any sort of physicality. Whatever division we are in next season we have got to be active for a couple of midfielders in the transfer window.

I'm not convinced by Sawyers in the Premier. In the Championship he's fine with the right players around him.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »
I agree Atomic although funnily enough Sawyers might be better suited to the PL as it's not as intense IMO. Would definitelty need a DCM next to him no matter what though.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »

That's why he has to play every minute possible. As you say Livermore is the only midfielder we have with any sort of physicality. Whatever division we are in next season we have got to be active for a couple of midfielders in the transfer window.

I'm not convinced by Sawyers in the Premier. In the Championship he's fine with the right players around him.

I just don't think that's going to happen - too many other positions need fixing first.  We need at least 3 strikers as I don't think even the best of our current 3 would be anything other than 4th choice.  So we're looking at needing at least 2 good quality forwards to fight for first choice - not cheap, plus a backup.  Throw in a keeper for sure.  I'm not convinced by our defence at all, you could maybe make a claim that L\RB's are ok, but CH wise we look chaotic.

Between those you're looking at 5 or so players for sure, if we go for 1 new CH to pair with Hegazi.  Then we'll need to replace Diangana if we can't sign him.  So I think between Sawyers, Livermore and Krov we'll see those positions as well down the pecking order for some spending.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2020, 02:08:01 PM »
Plenty of money left over from this season. We vastly underspent from the budget hence the 3 rubbish strikers. Enough to cover Pereira and Krov too if we sign him. So IF we go up we'd have next seasons budget for a couple of strikers, a new GK, DCM and a CB at the very least.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:15:35 PM by gazberg »