Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 212908 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
I think Wilson is coming from the angle that Ajayi has looked head and shoulders above his Rotherham team mates and that has the potential to be a top championship player, where as Sawyers just seems to fit in at Brentford and doesn't seem to really stand out in their midfield.
Boing Boing

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
We need a couple of players who are able to take the ball on the half turn, and can pick a pass.

With Morrison leaving with Hoolahan, those were the only two 'playmakers' we had last year (not including Barnes/Phillips etc) we have brought in Filip and Sawyers would give us another option.

Again at the price being quoted its a bit of a low risk signing. He will already know the club aswell so you would hope that would reduce the 'settling in' time.

I would be happy with this signing, not only do we need to improve the 1st team, but we also need options from the bench and Romaine would cover both of those.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
I'd sooner go and get the lad from Coventry tbh.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
I don't usually disagree with Standaman but i don't feel Krovinovic and Sawyers are similar players. Granted i've only seen highlights of the Croat but it looks like he shines in and around the final third and the box whereas Sawyers seems to play a little further down the pitch and is more of a steadying and calming influence on a team, linking defence to attacks.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
this signing if happens i will be really happy with
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kezzabhoy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
Apparently Leeds are now in for him too. Not surprised given the low fee, can see a few teams being interested.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
Worth having a look at the bladesanalytics twitter account. It mainly deals in Sheff Utd but is a top football analytics twitter account.

Basically goes against my Sawyers take, and says he would be the bargain of the summer if we sign him for 2.5 million. He believes he creates more chances than any other player in the championship.
Boing Boing

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
A midfield trio of Ajayi (ball wining DM who can shoot and pass), Sawyers (Box to box, able to dictate play) and Kroninovic (advanced playmaker able to unlock the final third) excites me and I believe would be well balanced unlike our centre midfield of the last few seasons.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
You can add Harper into that mix aswell. Its a midfield that on paper does exactly what its meant to do and very balanced.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
I think Sawyers coming back would be a brilliant bit of business at 3m

We need a side of players that are hungry to go up and Sawyers fits that bill.

He has also turned into an excellent midfielder

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2019, 10:18:53 AM »
Worth having a look at the bladesanalytics twitter account. It mainly deals in Sheff Utd but is a top football analytics twitter account.

Basically goes against my Sawyers take, and says he would be the bargain of the summer if we sign him for 2.5 million. He believes he creates more chances than any other player in the championship.

Saw that thread this morning and does show how important he was to the Brentford set up.

Last season he was deployed as more of a central midfielder as opposed to a 'number 10' yet still completed the most 'dangerous' passes in the league based on his passing stats.

Does seem a bit of a coup for the price tag. Also saw another journalist this morning state that Sawyers is pushing for a return 'home' to the Hawthorns. Does seem like he will come easily - just a case of sorting the fee with Bretford.

Can see us doing a deal at 2.5million plus add ons taking it to 3million based on promotion etc.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
If the press reports are to be believed he fancy's a move back here.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2019, 10:23:39 AM »
Saw that thread this morning and does show how important he was to the Brentford set up.

Last season he was deployed as more of a central midfielder as opposed to a 'number 10' yet still completed the most 'dangerous' passes in the league based on his passing stats.

Does seem a bit of a coup for the price tag. Also saw another journalist this morning state that Sawyers is pushing for a return 'home' to the Hawthorns. Does seem like he will come easily - just a case of sorting the fee with Bretford.

Can see us doing a deal at 2.5million plus add ons taking it to 3million based on promotion etc.
    Leeds are quoted to be looking to hijack the deal. But Sawyers is said to welcome a move to bring him back home .Fingers crossed on this one.

dubliner

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »

https://twitter.com/Blades_analytic/status/1153567781402685440

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Almost nothing would please me more than beating Leeds to any player, cheating, jumped up 2nd Division side with little history until 20 - 30 years ago :-X

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
Sawyer's is the creative spark we were missing in the middle last year, he plays football the right way. Not sure how Slaven will slot him in but he offers something different to Brunt, Harper, Barry, Livermore etc.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
Sawyer's is the creative spark we were missing in the middle last year, he plays football the right way. Not sure how Slaven will slot him in but he offers something different to Brunt, Harper, Barry, Livermore etc.

Even I offer something different from Brunt and Livermoe

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Even I offer something different from Brunt and Livermoe

Expect a PM from Jacko ;D

Seriously, I hope the Sawyers move does come off, and if we bag Periera as well then I would say that that Dowling and co deserve a lot of credit.
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
Almost nothing would please me more than beating Leeds to any player, cheating, jumped up 2nd Division side with little history until 20 - 30 years ago :-X

No fan of Leeds mate but they had one of the best footballing sides this country has ever produced back in the mid 60's to 70's, right up until Revie was appointed to the England job
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »

Showing your age there mate the 1970's were 40 years ago, horrible isn't it !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
Yorkshire reporter on twitter stating the rumours that Leeds are interest in Sawyers are 'wide of the mark.'

Could give us a clear run at him now.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
I don't dismiss the importance of a high pass completion rate, but according to the stats. he failed to score even once last season in 46 games.
I think we are going to have a goalscoring problem, as things stand.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
I don't dismiss the importance of a high pass completion rate, but according to the stats. he failed to score even once last season in 46 games.
I think we are going to have a goalscoring problem, as things stand.
I think the last 3 words of your post needs to be taken into consideration, we have 5 loans available still and only really spent the Rondon money, should still be enough left in the bank to get a goalscorer, I still think the Charlie Austin deal has legs in it but we will see......
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
No fan of Leeds mate but they had one of the best footballing sides this country has ever produced back in the mid 60's to 70's, right up until Revie was appointed to the England job
I'm with Halifax on this. Leeds brought alot of what is bad into the modern game, in terms of timewasting, cheating and negative play. I think the rules stopping passes back to the goalkeeper were changed as a result.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »
i'd say we've already got terms agreed with him it's just sorting out the terms between us and brentford now