Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 295673 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #550 on: October 05, 2020, 11:22:40 PM »
I have to say that if I was Karlan Grant I would have grave misgivings about joining WBA now.

How can we say to any potential player we are a serious and ambitious club determined to stay in the PL?  Ludicrous!

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #551 on: October 05, 2020, 11:28:29 PM »
Anyone else sick of hearing his name ?

Its so amateurish form our club the way this guy seems the only player we have on our radar.
We have no idea how effective he will be at the top level and highly unlikely to have made much differences to our performances so far.

We need a couple of strikers in (if we can offload Austin and Zohore) but really need some steel in midfield and to address the right back position.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #552 on: October 05, 2020, 11:36:22 PM »
I have to say that if I was Karlan Grant I would have grave misgivings about joining WBA now.
He may be disappointed, but what other options does he have? Can't see a row of clubs lining up to sign him.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #553 on: October 06, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
Now we are down to domestic signings, what is the reason for delaying this deal now?

Surely we aren’t that financially crippled that we have to offload before he comes in?

2 weeks of training with the team before massive game against Burnley

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #554 on: October 06, 2020, 10:32:53 AM »
HRK's injury will surely only strengthen Huddersfield's bargaining position.

The longer we play chicken, the more likely we are to lose.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #555 on: October 06, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
As summary of the previous 23 pages:

It seems that Karlan Grant is Bilic's preferred choice.  We have been pursuing him all summer and, in fact, inquired about him during the January window too.  We agreed a deal, but when Huddersfield saw the price that Watkins went for they wanted more, and raised the price.  We are not willing to pay that. 

It sounds like we've tried various approaches with them to get a deal that is better for us (including loan to buy, with clauses).  They recognise he's going to leave.  He wants to join us.  We are not willing to pay the price. 

Our gambit seems to be to wait until the market is restricted to EFL to PL clubs only.  Then, when we only have very limited options left, we appear to think that Hudds will fold and give us what we want? It doesn't make sense.  They seem to think that Hudds will need the money due to covid, but they are on the 2nd year of parachute payments, they've already sold one player and Kongolo looks like he's about to be transferred too.  They won't be that desperate for money, and will be able to wait out until January, if not the whole season.  (when the EFL window closes there will only be 9-10 weeks left until January). 

If we get Grant on loan without compulsory purchase clause then it will just be money down the drain when he is returned upon relegation.  We will not have any strikers attached to the club. (I'm sure that Austin and HRK's contracts end this season, and think Zohore's might too.)  We will be in an even worse position back in the Championship.

Possible striker targets as of today.  Karlan Grant.  Josh King.  Troy Deeney (injured). Andre Gray (injured).  Maybe Armstrong from Blackburn?  Can't think of any others.  Grant is the one that is the right age, experience, credentials... price?

HRK has broken his arm which highlights and underlines our dire need for a forward, but we are not blinking...

If the club are not taking this season seriously then neither am I. 

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #556 on: October 06, 2020, 10:41:41 AM »
HRK's injury will surely only strengthen Huddersfield's bargaining position.

The longer we play chicken, the more likely we are to lose.
Really? Does it matter whether we play HRK or Austin on the bench?
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #557 on: October 06, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »
Really? Does it matter whether we play HRK or Austin on the bench?

Given that a potential transfer of Austin leaving has been in the press is seems reasonably clear that we don't particularly want him here.

We therefore now only have one fit striker who we want to be here.

kendo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #558 on: October 06, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
WELL it looks like the powers that be are  going to wait a bit longer to get Grant and when and if we do get him the Burnley game will come to soon for him to play. That's what the story will be,  we know how long we have to wait before we let any new signings play. We are just a laughing stock of a club. It was plain of day that you could see last season, that we was not premier material .We was so lucky to get in and know they cant wait to get out.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #559 on: October 06, 2020, 01:42:35 PM »
Given that a potential transfer of Austin leaving has been in the press is seems reasonably clear that we don't particularly want him here.

Guess now we cannot let Austin go now unless a direct replacement is lined up like Deeney or Welbeck? I think Grant is already in the budget at the right fee if not it will be King or Gray.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #560 on: October 06, 2020, 09:19:11 PM »
Guess now we cannot let Austin go now unless a direct replacement is lined up like Deeney or Welbeck? I think Grant is already in the budget at the right fee if not it will be King or Gray.

In the last hour of the window the inept Dolwing will inadvertently ring Eddie Grant and even he will refuse to dance with him leaving him Dalton grant whose blunt "no" will mean he's in for high jump.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #561 on: October 06, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »
Would he rock down to electric avenue?

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #562 on: October 06, 2020, 10:16:47 PM »
Would he rock down to electric avenue?

And even take it higher?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #563 on: October 06, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »
And do you all know where electric avenue actually is?
Its in WITTON.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #564 on: October 06, 2020, 10:38:44 PM »
And, technically, Robinson isn't actually a striker (and neither is Robson-Kanu)! They're both wide midfielders who are being expected to do a job upfront.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #565 on: October 07, 2020, 05:26:05 AM »
At this point I have a horrid feeling of the Earnshaw / Horsefield sales that year when they failed to get anybody in .
What a mess , while I do think 17m is too much for Grant I'm shaking my head at this saga .
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:29:10 AM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #566 on: October 07, 2020, 05:31:50 AM »
And, technically, Robinson isn't actually a striker (and neither is Robson-Kanu)! They're both wide midfielders who are being expected to do a job upfront.
To be fair in 4 years since H.R.K came you can count on  one hand the times he's played wide for us .
He's been a forward ( of sorts ) for a long time.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #567 on: October 07, 2020, 06:42:22 AM »
If we pay the original asking price for Grant now, we will look right muppets.

Over to you Gonzo!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #568 on: October 07, 2020, 06:45:16 AM »

Over to you Gonzo!

If we pay the original price now, I will agree that it will tell you everything you need to know about our board. Likewise if we lose out to someone else.....
MAGA!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #569 on: October 07, 2020, 08:08:24 AM »
What I find quite alarming is that if we fail to sign Grant and taking into consideration the likelihood that our visit to the premier league is going to be short lived, the starting point of our championship team next summer will somehow be even weaker than the one that came up last season!

If Gallagher, Krov and Deeney/Gray return to their parent clubs after their loans and when a 37 year old Ivanovic's contract is up, the grand sum of our squad additions will be Cedric Kipre. Players like Austin and Grosicki will be out of contract, while the likes of Gibbs, HRK, Bartley, Hegazi, Livermore and Sawyers will all be either in their 30's or in Sawyers case, about to turn 30.

To have such limited squad evolution after getting into the premier league would be a real failure on the club's part. The whole point of any yo-yoing between divisions is that when you go down, you do so in a stronger positon to when you came up. Apart from the financials, our team will be weaker than the one that were playing games last season.

If we can't sign Grant, we must sign a different young striker or outfield player. We can't afford not to.
Boing Boing

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #570 on: October 07, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »
What I find quite alarming is that if we fail to sign Grant and taking into consideration the likelihood that our visit to the premier league is going to be short lived, the starting point of our championship team next summer will somehow be even weaker than the one that came up last season!

If Gallagher, Krov and Deeney/Gray return to their parent clubs after their loans and when a 37 year old Ivanovic's contract is up, the grand sum of our squad additions will be Cedric Kipre. Players like Austin and Grosicki will be out of contract, while the likes of Gibbs, HRK, Bartley, Hegazi, Livermore and Sawyers will all be either in their 30's or in Sawyers case, about to turn 30.

To have such limited squad evolution after getting into the premier league would be a real failure on the club's part. The whole point of any yo-yoing between divisions is that when you go down, you do so in a stronger positon to when you came up. Apart from the financials, our team will be weaker than the one that were playing games last season.

If we can't sign Grant, we must sign a different young striker or outfield player. We can't afford not to.

Well Arsenal’s young striker Balogun is available for sale. He’s a risk as he doesn’t have first team experience but he won’t sign a new contract but he is very highly rated.
Sheff utd and Brentford put in low bids that were rejected circa 3m.
Arsenal apparently want 8m só surely a deal to be done. Maybe King/Deeney along with Balogun.

https://www.google.pt/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/folarin-balogun-sheffield-united-profile-18946905.amp
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #571 on: October 07, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »

Over to you Gonzo!
If we pay the original asking price it’s fine, if they pay the jumped up post Watkins asking price then they’ll look daft.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #572 on: October 07, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
Well Arsenal’s young striker Balogun is available for sale. He’s a risk as he doesn’t have first team experience but he won’t sign a new contract but he is very highly rated.
Sheff utd and Brentford put in low bids that were rejected circa 3m.
Arsenal apparently want 8m só surely a deal to be done. Maybe King/Deeney along with Balogun.

https://www.google.pt/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/folarin-balogun-sheffield-united-profile-18946905.amp
Can’t sign from Prem League teams now only EFL
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #573 on: October 07, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
And do you all know where electric avenue actually is?
Its in WITTON.

My old fella worked on Electric Avenue for GEC in the 1960's !  and no, his name was not edward
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #574 on: October 07, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »

Over to you Gonzo!
What do you think of the show so far............?