Author Topic: One month to go  (Read 18923 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: One month to go
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
I think Bartley will be more than capable of playing centre back next to Hegazi, its dependant on how we set up to play. If we don't try the whole 'overplaying' and keep it simple then I think he will do a decent enough job.

Expectations at the moment are that we can be in or around the playoffs at best. The squad as it stands isn't good enough to mount a promotion challenge, so until we bring in some bodies I can't really comment.

If Slav can bring in 4-5 players who could genuinely improve our first team, then we have a good a chance as anyone in the league.

From the others, I expect to see Stoke do well, Cardiff will be there or thereabouts with Warnock there, Leeds will be up there as will Bristol City.

Fulham will have the squad but similar situation to us last year with regards to Parker. Same as Boro with Woodgate in charge.

Think Blues will be near the bottom.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
I think Bartley will be more than capable of playing centre back next to Hegazi, its dependant on how we set up to play. If we don't try the whole 'overplaying' and keep it simple then I think he will do a decent enough job.

Expectations at the moment are that we can be in or around the playoffs at best. The squad as it stands isn't good enough to mount a promotion challenge, so until we bring in some bodies I can't really comment.

If Slav can bring in 4-5 players who could genuinely improve our first team, then we have a good a chance as anyone in the league.

From the others, I expect to see Stoke do well, Cardiff will be there or thereabouts with Warnock there, Leeds will be up there as will Bristol City.

Fulham will have the squad but similar situation to us last year with regards to Parker. Same as Boro with Woodgate in charge.

Think Blues will be near the bottom.

That's assuming that Hegazi stays. Reports suggest he's having a good Africa Cup tournament so I'd be surprised if a lower premier league team or middling European/top Turkish side didn't come in for him.

Agree with most of the rest of what you say though apart from I can't see Bristol City mounting a serious challenge, I think they'll be the same as last year really.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 11:30:52 AM »
The lack of transfers is worrying.  But that can be resolved in one week.

The problem I can see is that the Championship looks a lot tougher next season that it was last season.

There wasn't a really good side in the championship last season.

The 3 sides that went up last season will all struggle and possibly all 3 could come down.

But next season the sides to watch out for are  Cardiff, Stoke, Fulham, Leeds and there is usually one surprise team.  Then you have the usual suspects, Middlesboro, Derby, Forest, Sheff Wed,

So I'm not expecting a great deal from next season.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
Steve Bruce will get Sheff Wed rolling next season.
Colin will have Cardiff there or thereabouts
Fulham will buy their way up the table
Huddersfield will have kept their nucleus and will not be far away

add in to the pot Brizzle / Leeds / Forest / Boro / Stoke / Derby / Swansea

it will be a REALLY competitive league next season.

However I have faith in Slaven, if he has a half decent squad = top 2
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
The lack of transfers is worrying.  But that can be resolved in one week.

I agree the lack of visible transfer activity (cue announcement) is very worrying.  Not sure it can be resolved in a week!

Currently 9 down on the sqaud at the end of last season and I think we will lose Rondon, Phillips, Nyom (All on last year of contract) plus maybe Livermore, Harper, JRod and HRK over the next few weeks too.  We have just over a month, they have to be looking at nearly 3 players a week coming in.  Not very West Brom.

If losing 12-16 players (from the end of last season) turns out to be a good guess then I would be happy with 10-13 replacements as some of last seasons players had minimal impact - we wouldn't have noticed if we didn't have Montero, Myhill and Hooihan, and Mears and Murphy didn't make that much impact either.

The two players that are most speculated upon are Krovinovic and Chalobah... both loans.  Only 3 more loans after these two.  We need to actually start signing players.  The 'didn't have a full pre-season' excuse is going to be absolutely rampant!

Does the loan window still stay open until the end of August? 

If we're going to play 4-2-3-1 then, at a minimum, we need:
1 x right back + players capable of covering
2 x CBs
1 centre mid
2 attacking mid
2 wide attackers/wingers
2 forwards

This is assuming that O'Shea/Fitzwater (one of) , Edwards and Leko can make some sort regular contribution too.

I expect a core, strong squad of about 16 and other players chipping in.
Johnstone, Bartley, Hegazi, Gibbs plus maybe staying Livermore and Jrod and maybe stepping-up Field and Harper.  Lots of gaps.  Lots of work.  Can't really afford for everything to be on hold waiting to sell players first.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
Lose HRK???? Now you're hoping aren't you?? 8)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
My prediction at the moment is 9th place, with Bilic getting sacked near the end of the season. Happy to be proven wrong but I have doubts about him, but crucially even bigger doubts about Dowling and the recruitment.

Top sides this year will be Leeds again, Stoke, maybe Fulham, Cardiff and possibly Luton.

Blimey this has depressed me! I have every confidence in Bilic but, for sure, he needs to be backed from above.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »
Lose HRK???? Now you're hoping aren't you?? 8)

Always try to be optimistic! 

He is in the last year of his contract, but I can't see anyone who will to pay a fee or take on the stupid wages we gave to the no-hoper!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 01:13:31 PM »
I'm enjoying the break!

I haven't missed the season at all to be honest.

Missed the crack with the lads but we've had enough during pre-season

I have no expectations regarding next season - I'll wait and see what happens over the summer.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
Always try to be optimistic! 

He is in the last year of his contract, but I can't see anyone who will to pay a fee or take on the stupid wages we gave to the no-hoper!

League one club maybe. He'd have to take a wage cut though. We can but hope.

If I have one wish (well two) regarding outgoings in this transfer window it's Robson-Kanu and Livermore moving on. Neither are any good and they block the route of potential talent via the academy.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
I'm enjoying the break!

I haven't missed the season at all to be honest.

I have no expectations regarding next season - I'll wait and see what happens over the summer.

Pretty much this for me.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »
GK: Johnstone/Bond

DF: NEW RB/Nyom; Gibbs/Townsend; Hegazi/NEW CB; Bartley/NEW CB

MF: Phillips/Livermore/Field/Brunt/Harper/NEW MF X 3

FW: Rondon/Rodriguez/HRK/Burke

Going by a rough guide of 2 players for each position, we need to bring in 6 more to make a squad of 22 senior pro's, if no-one else leaves.

I think those 6 will be comprise 2-3 permanent signings only, plus 3-4 loans.

If Harper moves on we will obviously need 1 more and of course this also applies to Rondon, though I'm convinced he will only be moving on if the club have a decent replacement lined up.

I also think Edwards, Rogers and Tulloch can play a more significant role this season.

It's going to be a busy month, but I'm confident Slaven and the club will do the business in that time frame.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:22:45 PM by Windmill Baggy »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »
I'd be happy if we promote our kids over loans think that they are more than capable.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
I'd be happy if we promote our kids over loans think that they are more than capable.

I think Field, Harper and Edwards definitely are capable but not sure about any of the others.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
I don't understand how anyone hasn't missed it. I'm finding it torture. There's not even a World Cup / Euro Championship to ease the blow. (Women's stuff doesn't count).

Really cannot wait for normality to resume. Yep, no doubt, I'll moan like hell from time to time, that's part of being an Albion fan but at least life will seem normal again.

I hate summer, it's rubbish!  :(

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
I don't understand how anyone hasn't missed it. I'm finding it torture. There's not even a World Cup / Euro Championship to ease the blow. (Women's stuff doesn't count).

Really cannot wait for normality to resume. Yep, no doubt, I'll moan like hell from time to time, that's part of being an Albion fan but at least life will seem normal again.

I hate summer, it's rubbish!  :(

I'm not missing it as it's good to have a break, but I'm already looking forward to it. Only 4 weeks to go!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
I'm struggling to get back into it tbh. It's not the start of the season - when anything could happen and the world's your oyster. It's the long hard slog of a Championship winter that I'm not looking forward to.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »
The transfer situation is a little worrying and the thing that bothers me is the lack of players linked to us. Think I've only read of 2 players who are closely linked and even one of them has been delayed.

The squad as it stands today (senior players only):

GKs: Johnstone, Bond

DFs: Nyom, Hegazi, Bartley, Townsend, Gibbs

MFs: Phillips, Burke, Harper, Livermore, Leko, Field, Edwards, Brunt

FWs: Rodriguez, Robson Kanu.

Haven't included younger players who have yet to make a league start, but that's 17 players.

One week till Pre-season starts, really could do with at least 5 incomings asap. Couple of defenders, couple left midfield and a striker as minimum.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
30 days and about 5 hours, but who’s counting  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
The transfer situation is a little worrying and the thing that bothers me is the lack of players linked to us. Think I've only read of 2 players who are closely linked and even one of them has been delayed.

That I really don't see as an issue. Usually we learn what transfers are imminent when they are just that, imminent. Usually the links are completely without substance.

As a club Albion keep things close to their chests and journalists usually are way wide of the mark regarding our intentions.

The only one I've seen that has substance so far is Krovinovic and I'd expect that deal to go through.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 01:56:01 PM »
Steve Bruce will get Sheff Wed rolling next season.
Colin will have Cardiff there or thereabouts
Fulham will buy their way up the table
Huddersfield will have kept their nucleus and will not be far away

add in to the pot Brizzle / Leeds / Forest / Boro / Stoke / Derby / Swansea

it will be a REALLY competitive league next season.

However I have faith in Slaven, if he has a half decent squad = top 2

This gets said most seasons to be fair. I have a similar feeling about this one as I did this time last year.

I think Cardiff and Leeds will be in and around the automatic spots come the season's end and expect Bristol to make the top 6.

I don't expect a great deal from Swansea, Middlesbrough, Derby and Forest and think they will all finish anywhere from 7th to 14th.

I'm undecided on Fulham, Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday. If Fulham lose Mitrovic I can see them finishing outside the top 6, keep him and I think they'll make the play-offs. A similar situation at Huddersfield, where if they keep Mooy they could well challenge for a play-off spot, but if they lose him they could well finish mid-table. Sheff Wednesday will do well, but I think they need more quality to make a proper promotion challenge. Stoke could go either way, challenge for promotion or do poorly with Jones sacked by Christmas.

Preston, Hull and Charlton are the dark horses.

My early top half and relegation prediction:

1. Cardiff
2. Leeds
-----------------------------------
3. Bristol
4. WBA
5. Fulham (If Mitrovic stays)
6. Huddersfield (If Mooy stays)
7. Sheff. Wednesday
8. Preston
9. Stoke
10 Middlesbrough
11. Charlton
12. Hull
22. Blues
23. Millwall
24. Wigan

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
At the start of last season , who would have predicted the top 3 to be Norwich, Sheff utd and Leeds.

Both Norwich and Leeds finished outside the top 10 the season before and Sheff Utd finished 10th.

And just to show how unpredictable this league is, Millwall the season before last just missed out on the play offs and last season they just avoided relegation.

Perhaps it's that unpredictability that makes the Championship a better league to compete in  than the premiership.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »

That I really don't see as an issue. Usually we learn what transfers are imminent when they are just that, imminent. Usually the links are completely without substance.

As a club Albion keep things close to their chests and journalists usually are way wide of the mark regarding our intentions.

The only one I've seen that has substance so far is Krovinovic and I'd expect that deal to go through.

love the optimism. however the evidence of recent years does not back it up.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »
Yep, i feel the board will be as useless as ever and we will be inadequately staffed to cope with a long hard season. Praying i'm wrong.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »
So our first signing over the line. What were we worrying about?