Author Topic: OFFICIAL SCOTTISH LEAGUES THREAD  (Read 44825 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL SCOTTISH LEAGUES THREAD
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2021, 10:02:43 AM »
starting?  they lost any slight hope of winning the league when they lost 0-1 on 2nd Jan. Even if they'd have won that game they would have had to win, pretty much, every game until the end of the season to win the league.

As I said before though, had they won their 3 games in hand and then the 2 remaining Old Firm games (so the games in their control),  they would have only been 4 points behind which is nothing. That's nkw back out to 6 and with how poor they have been, it's now starting to look like Rangers title, save for any late collapse from them.
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »
I do wonder what this does for Gerrard's stock as a Head Coach. Move to a mid level PL club in the summer perhaps?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
I do wonder what this does for Gerrard's stock as a Head Coach. Move to a mid level PL club in the summer perhaps?

Gerrard's doing a good job but I can't help thinking he's benefited hugely by the appointments of both Nicky Hammond and Neil Lennon. Celtic have entered a two horse race with their legs tied together. Based on his time with us I've no idea what qualifies Hammond for his role and Lennon seems too limited to resist a resurgent Rangers. Perfect storm.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2021, 11:41:52 AM »

Most think he is holding out for the Liverpool job once Klopp decides he wants a new challenege. I've read that Klopp does not plan to do a Fergie and may look elsewhere in a few years time so I suppose it depends on how long Gerrard can keep his Rangers stock high.

Would he want to gamble his reputation by going to a Southampton or a Brighton? I suppose if the Leicester job came up or even Chelsea/Spurs then he might go for that.

Whatever he decides, he has begrudgingly proved me wrong with the job hebhas done at Rangers both domestically and abroad.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2021, 11:43:30 AM »
I agree with Dan, I think it is fair to say Gerrard has done well but he has benefitted from some decent circumstances (no pressure for 2 years, Celtics incompetence following Rodgers leaving).

I think Gerrard will stay at Rangers for at least another year too. He will want a crack at the champions league, although they still do have to qualify).

A mid level prem job would be a massive risk to his aspirations of being Liverpool manager too.  I think in that respect multiple titles with Rangers would be better. Especially as Celtic will not be this poor next year.

As for this season, I hope Gerrard goes the season unbeaten and scratches Celtic's name out of the record books for most points (big ask!)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
Gerrard's doing a good job but I can't help thinking he's benefited hugely by the appointments of both Nicky Hammond and Neil Lennon. Celtic have entered a two horse race with their legs tied together. Based on his time with us I've no idea what qualifies Hammond for his role and Lennon seems too limited to resist a resurgent Rangers. Perfect storm.

You're right about the perfect storm. No comment on Hammond at the moment who hasn't had enough time, but Lennon shouldn't really be in that job. He did a good job when he first took over a decade ago but since then he has been underwhelming and he is responsible for this Rangers title just as much as Gerrard is. He should have been replaced a long time ago.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2021, 12:26:04 PM »
Some achievement for Gerrard this. New club as Champions up there for the first time since 1982/83 (Dundee United).
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2021, 12:38:37 PM »
Gerrard as Rangers Manager. Very odd.

Wanted to come back and reply to this post now  ;D

Not so odd is it at the minute...hes doing a grand job up there with Rangers
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2021, 12:48:34 PM »

No need for him to move. The job he is doing both domestically and in Europe is quite frankly phenomenal. He and Ross Wilson have done a stellar job in taking an appalling run football club and turning them into a formidable outfit.

The likelihood with the co-efficient rankings is that Rangers will automatically qualify for the Champions League meaning it is another test for Gerrard to overcome. There is no need for him to jump ship whilst he can continue adding trophies and European adventures to his CV.

It will be the Liverpool job that opens up when Klopp decides to call it a day.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
A depleted Celtic side conceded a stoppage time equaliser against Hibs tonight, putting them 21 points behind Rangers.

Even winning their 3 games in hand and then both Old Firm games, they would still need to make up another 6 points to go level with Rangers. It’s starting to look like an impossible ask now, especially as they currently have a number of players self isolating.

Let's face it - it was a self inflicted depleted Celtic side.

That trip to Dubai was a complete and utter farce. A glorified booze up.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »
No need for him to move. The job he is doing both domestically and in Europe is quite frankly phenomenal. He and Ross Wilson have done a stellar job in taking an appalling run football club and turning them into a formidable outfit.

The likelihood with the co-efficient rankings is that Rangers will automatically qualify for the Champions League meaning it is another test for Gerrard to overcome. There is no need for him to jump ship whilst he can continue adding trophies and European adventures to his CV.

It will be the Liverpool job that opens up when Klopp decides to call it a day.

I dont think they expect the co-efficient rankings to positively affect the need to qualify until 2022 (although I could be wrong). This year I believe they just get 2 qualification positions. So Celtic may well dodge a bullet. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:56:47 PM by johnny Cash »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2021, 01:14:39 PM »
I dont think they expect the co-efficient rankings to positively affect qualification until 2022 (although I could be wrong). This year I believe they just get 2 qualification positions. So Celtic may well dodge a bullet.

You're right - the effect of this season will influence the number of teams that qualify for 2022. The position for next year has already been set.

When I last reviewed the rankings, Scotland were currently 11th in the rankings which is the final place for automatic qualification to the champions league.

The nearest country to Scotland at that point were Ukraine but the downside is that both Shakhtar and Dyamo Kiev are both in the Europa League compared to the one side in Scotland. I haven't reviewed them since the last round of fixtures so the position may have changed.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2021, 09:46:11 PM »
BBC Sports Scotland Tweeted

Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell has written to all 10 Championship clubs asking if they want to continue playing or suspend their league.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
Celtic draw at home to Livingston and with it, we can near enough declare Rangers champions. A Rangers win tomorrow puts them 23 points clear and even if Celtic were to win the 3 games in hand plus the 2 derbies, they would still need to make another 8 points up.

Finally Scotland is more than a 1 horse race again.
Boing Boing

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2021, 08:26:49 PM »
Celtic draw at home to Livingston and with it, we can near enough declare Rangers champions. A Rangers win tomorrow puts them 23 points clear and even if Celtic were to win the 3 games in hand plus the 2 derbies, they would still need to make another 8 points up.

Finally Scotland is more than a 1 horse race again.

Well it's just a different horse
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2021, 08:29:15 PM »
Well it's just a different horse

It's a brand new horse. A colt if you will...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2021, 08:31:47 AM »
It's a brand new horse. A colt if you will...

Pack it in...  ;D

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »
Pack it in...  ;D

he's not wrong though, a fact I love to remind my 80yr old Rangers supporting dad about!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
What is the association Albion have with Rangers? I remember a while back there were Albion Rangers supporters clubs or something in Tividale or Stourbridge.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2021, 12:56:37 PM »
Yes i know it's Facebook but Eddie Howe odds on favourite to take over from Neil Lennon. Might as well hand the title to Rangers now.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2021, 01:51:46 PM »
What is the association Albion have with Rangers? I remember a while back there were Albion Rangers supporters clubs or something in Tividale or Stourbridge.

Personally, I will always feel indebted to them for Willie Johnston, and that's more than enough for me, what a player he was!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2021, 02:04:14 PM »

There is no official association to my knowledge. There are a variety of similar associations up and down the country such is the breadth of their support.

Though I don’t recall a specific Albion one as many tie in with the West Mids group.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »
I think, wherever you are in England and you find a Scottish or Northern Irish community, you are likely to find Ranges and Celtic supporters clubs not too far away
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
For those who haven't seen, Celtic played one of their must win games of hand last night - a second consecutive game vs Jack Fitzwater's Livingston. For the 2nd successive game, they drew. 22 points behind Rangers, only 2 games in hand and now they need Rangers to drop 10 unforced points to stand any chance.
Boing Boing

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »
For those who haven't seen, Celtic played one of their must win games of hand last night - a second consecutive game vs Jack Fitzwater's Livingston. For the 2nd successive game, they drew. 22 points behind Rangers, only 2 games in hand and now they need Rangers to drop 10 unforced points to stand any chance.

Do you think Neil Lennon will leave at the end of the season or do you think the board will sack him or  will he be given a chance to redeem himself next season?