Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 285908 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)
« Reply #1200 on: September 09, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »
So ends the worst signing in our history. A sign of just how bad our scouting and transfer strategy was under Pulis after we got rid of our once league-leading scouting set up. How Leipzig managed to make a profiton a player who flopped is anyone's guess.

Wilder is good but he isn't a miracle worker, he won't turn Burke into a premier league player. He has all of physical tools, such as great pace, power, ability to run with the ball and a decent enough finish, but he doesn't have the application tp convert that raw ability and accordingto some reports, he doesn't quite have the mindset either.

I expect he will be jn the SPL or League 1 in a few years time, where he will probably do well.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1201 on: September 09, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »
Everyone saying Wilder could unlock his potential but bar him bursting on the scene for  few games at Forest no-one has done that. He has been with managers in Germany, England, Scotland, Spain and no-one has done it. This could come back to haunt me but i doubt it.

I think it would be reasonable to suggest he was starting to settle and put a performance in while Brendan Rodgers was Celtic manager, but went down hill again when Neil Lennon arrived. But I agree with on the others.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #1202 on: September 09, 2020, 01:47:39 PM »
Made a conscious effort to follow as many european and worldwide football wriyers as possible over the last 12 months, including a number who write about the bundesliga.

To a man, they all seem to feel this will be a very good fit and that he will suit English football well. One writer hinted he didn't really fit Leipzig's style of play (called him a bishop in a team of rooks), but they were still surprised Leipzig sold him rather than loaned him.

Baring in mind player fee inflation, I feel 15 million isn't too bad for a young "homegrown rule" talent who went for £13 million only last season.

So ends the worst signing in our history. A sign of just how bad our scouting and transfer strategy was under Pulis after we got rid of our once league-leading scouting set up. How Leipzig managed to make a profiton a player who flopped is anyone's guess.

Wilder is good but he isn't a miracle worker, he won't turn Burke into a premier league player. He has all of physical tools, such as great pace, power, ability to run with the ball and a decent enough finish, but he doesn't have the application tp convert that raw ability and accordingto some reports, he doesn't quite have the mindset either.

I expect he will be jn the SPL or League 1 in a few years time, where he will probably do well.

Hashtag hindsight.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1203 on: September 09, 2020, 01:50:34 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

"Lots of questions about Robinson/Burke fees. I understand it is a straight swap with no transfer fee. There are clauses in each agreement that will see money paid based on appearances, goals, achievements etc. But they aren't anything major so it's as good as a straight swap"
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

"Lots of questions about Robinson/Burke fees. I understand it is a straight swap with no transfer fee. There are clauses in each agreement that will see money paid based on appearances, goals, achievements etc. But they aren't anything major so it's as good as a straight swap"

Brilliant, means we may end paying a few quid here and there but it's got Burke off books so can't really complain!

going to be very interested to see what happens with him
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1205 on: September 09, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »
From one jug ears to another, good luck Olly, hope you get some decent games and can hold your head up after a rough time here, just don't do it against us.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1206 on: September 09, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
I don't believe we ever paid £15m for the t urd meister, it was only ever reported as a fee that could rise to £15m, but some took that as meaning we paid £15m.

Rb signed him for a reporterd figure of between £9m - £11m and quickly realised he was terrible so I doubt they made a profit especially after admitting that he couldn't understand basic instructions.

Imo the deal was dodgy in that the old brown envelope may have been involved given someone's £5m Court case loss.

I am hoping our outlay was, at worst the same as RB's, and them being just happy to recover what they paid, and there is no justification in his performances there to increase their outlay.

Therefore, I am hoping we have lost the maximum of £3-4m if this is a straight swap.

I was very concerned yesterday that it was only a loan, but elated today that we have finally flushed him.

I didn't want him as at the time I didn't think we in position to invest so much on someone so unproven.

Robinson isn't ideal, but if we do go down then at least we know me can perform there and there is a chance that at 25 he can still improve and become a prem player.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1207 on: September 09, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
I thought he was a good signing. I was wrong!

I wish him all the best and i hope he can get his career back on track. Good luck Ollie
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #1208 on: September 09, 2020, 03:36:32 PM »
Hashtag hindsight.

Yup, at the time many felt Burke had what it takes. Even now you feel the raw pace and power he has could be harnessed into something.

Ultimately though, those getting paid astronomical amounts of money to manage our player identification should have clocked that Leipzig were happy to sell him so quickly. It's hindsight from a fans point of view of course, but I don't get paid a 6 figure sum to watch football day in and day out.
Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1209 on: September 09, 2020, 03:41:59 PM »
The kid is going to be in good company at Sheff utd, alongside Ravel Morrison and Jack Rodwell, I think Wilder sees himself as a footballing "Greatest Showman" collecting waifs and strays.

If Wilder can turn that lot into a team, he will have a good side, Its a big ask though
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1210 on: September 09, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
I think some were taken in by his raw pace. But he didn't seem to know where he was running or indeed that he had to take the ball with him. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1211 on: September 09, 2020, 05:08:31 PM »
The kid is going to be in good company at Sheff utd, alongside Ravel Morrison and Jack Rodwell, I think Wilder sees himself as a footballing "Greatest Showman" collecting waifs and strays.

If Wilder can turn that lot into a team, he will have a good side, Its a big ask though

Or he is opening a donkey sanctuary with oil millions he now has.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1212 on: September 09, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »
I could swear, I’ve just seen Sky Sports News showing a photo of Ollie in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1213 on: September 09, 2020, 06:20:41 PM »

To be fair to Pulis, our recruitment had been far worse just prior to him coming in. The summer before we came manager was probably the worst transfer window we've had in years:

Gardner
Lescott
Baird
Pocognoli
Brown Ideye
Jason Davidson
Sebastian Blanco
Samaras
Gamboa
Verela (on loan)

Practically all chronically useless. Lescott the only one who was even remotely useful and even he we got rid of after that season. It wasn't like you could even argue they were just misused here given none of them did anything after leaving either. The foreign scouting was clearly terrible by that point.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1214 on: September 09, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
To be fair to Pulis, our recruitment had been far worse just prior to him coming in. The summer before we came manager was probably the worst transfer window we've had in years:

Gardner
Lescott
Baird
Pocognoli
Brown Ideye
Jason Davidson
Sebastian Blanco
Samaras
Gamboa
Verela (on loan)

Practically all chronically useless. Lescott the only one who was even remotely useful and even he we got rid of after that season. It wasn't like you could even argue they were just misused here given none of them did anything after leaving either. The foreign scouting was clearly terrible by that point.

True, things completely lost their way in the mid 2010's, as Peace realised he had been carried by Dan Ashworth and had no idea how to replace him.
Boing Boing

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: September 09, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »
We cant be quoting hindsight - what are we supposed to be fortune tellers. Every signing is a punt in the end. MacAuley was great. Who knew anything about Olssen, Mulumbu, Balis etc. Luke Moore, Krychoviak, Sakiri - some were a hit and some a nightmare, or had talent but didnt get enough time on the pitch. In the end nobody can predict so lets not point score. 

Ive no idea what I wrote when we signed Burke but like many I was probably excited that we could have the next Bale on our hands. A shame and I hope he ends up improving as a player but to date it looks like being fast and strong has made him a millionaire andset him up for life by his mid-twenties.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1216 on: September 09, 2020, 07:07:55 PM »
Just been on the Sheff Utd fans forum. Quite interesting re Burke. Started off quite enthusiastic, but some of them have been on here and have been reading our comments   and are a bit worried they have been conned. Best comment I read was " Just been reading the West Brom fans' comments on Burke. I feel like someone who has booked into a hotel and then read the trip advisor comments"  ;D

On a side issue, was surprised how much they hate the Villa. Seem to think that as soon as they show any interest in a player, Villa come sniffing and just generally hate them as a club. Now where have I heard that before?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1217 on: September 09, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
I could swear, I’ve just seen Sky Sports News showing a photo of Ollie in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt  ;D

yep, I saw that too and then realised its an Alaves shirt
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1218 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »

Gardner
Lescott
Baird
Pocognoli
Brown Ideye
Jason Davidson
Sebastian Blanco
Samaras
Gamboa
Verela (on loan)

It's true. That was a shocking period. I remember I was clamouring for Gamboa and Pocognoli to get games at times which goes to show what I know. I do remember being livid though about Varela as, if I remember correctly, he had just got into the team, scored a great goal (against QPR maybe?) and then got bombed out almost immediately by Pulis.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1219 on: September 09, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
yep, I saw that too and then realised its an Alaves shirt

Thank you for the clarification, I never gave them a thought, but then again, I didn’t know they played in a similar strip  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1220 on: September 09, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »
We cant be quoting hindsight - what are we supposed to be fortune tellers. Every signing is a punt in the end. MacAuley was great. Who knew anything about Olssen, Mulumbu, Balis etc. Luke Moore, Krychoviak, Sakiri - some were a hit and some a nightmare, or had talent but didnt get enough time on the pitch. In the end nobody can predict so lets not point score. 

Ive no idea what I wrote when we signed Burke but like many I was probably excited that we could have the next Bale on our hands. A shame and I hope he ends up improving as a player but to date it looks like being fast and strong has made him a millionaire andset him up for life by his mid-twenties.

It’s tough that’s tru, but personally I thought the Burke deal was a big risk from the start, and so did quite a few others. Nobody expected it to be quite the disaster I was though.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1221 on: September 09, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »

That's what alot of this board is about. People giving a view on particular players and whether they might fit in, or not, or whether they'd be value for money.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1222 on: September 09, 2020, 08:33:59 PM »
Great work by Dowling in achieving that swap.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1223 on: September 10, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
Gardner - solid if unspectacular squad filler

Lescott - was actually our player of the season the year he signed. Legs went quickly though.

Baird - solid if unspectacular squad filler

Pocognoli - Beligan international. Pulis discarded him. Came back in for game against Man Utd, we kept a clean sheet and he set up the winner. Worst thing you can do is prove Pulis wrong. Bombed out without another appearance.

Brown Ideye - decent footballer, just not for English football.

Jason Davidson - waste of time

Sebastian Blanco - waste of time

Giorgios Samaras - had been in retirement in Scotland, poor signing

Cristian Gamboa - had starred for Costa Rica at the world cup as a wing-back. But being a good wing-back doesn't mean you're a good right back (as Spurs fans are about to find out)

Silvestre Verela - Portugal international. Just seemed to be finding his feet when he was bombed out for being injured and then not being an instant success. Actually assisted Saido's winner against Hull in what I think was his last appearance.

Some of those players came in to do a job, others came with a degree of pedigree. Not all were doomed to failure.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1224 on: September 10, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »
Forgot we had some of those, christ!
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"